Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

separated for 25 years but not legally divorced

• 10-10-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

my Mum and Father separated 25 years ago they are not legally divorced. He has not paid child support or paid for the house we grew up in. I have no memory of him as I was 3 when it happened and have never seen him since. My Mum is now terminally ill, his name is still on the house. She is currently working on a will. We have had someone contact him and first he agreed to remove his name, now after talking to his solicitor he wants a 1/5 of the house when we sell it after her death. I'm looking to see if anyone has had something similar happen or know of anyone who has and what the outcome was. He has a partner with whom he has 2 children and we found out that there is another child with someone else who may have been born while my Mum and he were together. I am hoping to hear about other outcomes or if any one knows of some where I can read up a lot on this subject

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You need legal advice, contact a solicitor

No one here can give you legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/succession.html

The surviving spouse/civil partner is legally entitled to the appropriate share regardless of the actual terms of the will. The fact that the parties may have lived apart for many years does not of itself affect their entitlements under the Act.

Even if they were divorced for as long as was possible your father could still have a claim under Irish law.

Get your mother to speak to a solicitor as soon as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi OP

the two pieces of advice are all we can give you here. As well as the link from Ken there are a few others in our charter but getting legal advise really is your only and best option here. Unfortunately due to the nature of your request we have to close this thread as we cannot give legal advise.

Sorry to hear your news
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement