Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to Move

Options
  • 10-10-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So I've been looking at various posts about moving to America and have noticed that it is a virtually impossible unless you are married to an American or are just out of college. I am out of college the past two years or so and have a Masters of Arts in Health Science. There is nothing in Ireland in regards to employment and I tried living in the UK for a couple of months but unfortunately had to come home as I did not succeed in getting a job. I would love to move to the US on a permanent basis but I that may not be possible. I've started looking into moving to the US but I feel like I am looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can go for help in organising this. I have been on the USIT site and talked to some people there but because of my age and that I'm out of college over a year there is little they can do for me. I know it may not be possible to move but you never know unless you try. I am looking for something in the Sports & Health Industry but I am open to anything at this stage.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me or even guide me in the right direction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Have you entered the Diversity Visa lottery? That is really your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I second Silja......even with your masters, I don't think you'd have much success obtaining a visa through an employer. Best option is the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. ET

I was looking at that last night. They are currently taking applications for 2015. I have to go and get a passport type photo taken and upload it to the website as they are very particular in what they are looking for but I am going to apply for that to. I've been trying to find websites etc but there are just so many that its very over whelming.

Mrs. ET wrote: »
    I've been trying to find websites etc but there are just so many that its very over whelming.

It is very overwhelming.....but when you do get to the point of making applications, only ever apply through the uscis or us dept of state websites.....there's are countless scam sites out there that offer to do the lottery application for you, it's impossible to tell which are legitimate, they will all take the fee, but you don't know which ones will actually forward your application and which ones will just take the money.

The link I got for the lottery I found on a previous post here. Its job websites that I have been looking at also, trying to see if it would be worthwhile going down that route and just applying for jobs and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Healthcare jobs are in demand in the USA right now.

US employers have to do a considerable amount of paperwork to get a visa for a foreign worker. So they'd only do it if they cant find someone in the US.

Generally only companies with a legal department would tackle it but obviously that a generalization. Hospitals probably have legal departments (given the litigious nature of US healthcare) so it may be possible.

Not easy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The visa lottery really is your best bet on this one.

I came in through Inter-company transfer but you need at minimum 1 year tenure with a company in a specialized job that is needed by the company and cannot be filled by someone in the US, and to be working for a company that has a US office AND are willing to pay the costs a)of re-location and b) the visa costs.

The US is a very difficult nut to crack without the visa lottery or marriage. They do not have anything close to self sponsorship/working holiday arrangements (except for J1) that other countries have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

You could try bar work if you really wanted to go badly enough?? It would be a start anyway. I have PM'd you a contact because I am not sure if I am allowed to post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

silja wrote: »
    Have you entered the Diversity Visa lottery? That is really your best option.

What exactly is the Diversity Visa Lottery? Never heard of it....:confused:

maguic24 wrote: »
    What exactly is the Diversity Visa Lottery? Never heard of it....:confused:

More commonly known as the greencard lottery.....you'll find the info here

• Advertisement

More commonly known as the greencard lottery.....you'll find the info here

They are so particular over the photo it's wrecking my head

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

It required 14 months from my initial interview at US Embassy to flying to USA with my fiance to obtain a K-1 (Fiancee) Visa. We married two weeks later and submitted application for "the Green Card". It took a further 9.5 months for the Green Card to be granted. During that period you cannot leave and re-enter the USA. If you do the clock starts again on your Green Card/Resident application. During that period - in my case - various crises occurred with my family in Ireland and UK. I was not able to go over. The first Green Card is provisional and must be re-applied for after 2 years of continuous residence in the USA.

You are probably aware of this already and still want to emigrate, but the USA is a completely different system to the EU social-contract based system. There is high unemployment here, currently, though not quite so extreme as in Ireland, Spain or Greece. Jobs in the health service are given to highly-qualified professionals who understand the connections in what is a system of employer-funded, insurance-dependent medicine with a public hospital system in throes of radical restructuring. In addition the US culturally very different, and takes a lot of effort to get used to. It would be advisable to set in place for yourself - before you come - a network of organisations and individuals who work with and support newcomers in what is a highly-challenging society.

Notwithstanding all that, if you want to do it, feel you've got the energy to make a go of it, there is no reason why you would not succeed if you have luck, support and sufficient prior research. All the best with it!

What about Canada?

Mrs. ET wrote: »
    They are so particular over the photo it's wrecking my head

And the one that they took for my green card is so badly lit you cant recognize me at all.

Got my application in for the Green Card Lottery but I'm applying for everything and anything in the meantime. All they can say is thanks but no thanks and no harm in putting myself out there

Advertisement