Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router decreases broadband speed

• 10-10-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I am with Imagine WiMax.Had poor connection speed issues.Was on to their support.They were really helpful in trouble shooting .Turns out WiMax is not the problem.Somewhere WITHIN my LAN.

Connect speeds of less than 0.5MB download when connected PC through a router , using an ethernet cable - Cat5. But when I connect the PC to the WIMax modem directly , I get speeds in excess of 8MB.

Routers tried :
    Linksys - WRT54G
    Zyxel NBG-417N
    NetGear WNR2000

I have tried the following, but to no avail :

1. Changed the router . Tried 2 other routers.Same result.
    2. Changed the router to AP mode.So WiMax modem is now the DHCP server.Still no change.
    3. Moved router about 2 metres away from existing wiring, to a place where there is nothing digital .
    3. No QOS or any custom settings on the router.
    4. All tests carried wired and not wireless

The only thing I haven't tried is to change the cable to CAT6.I have ordered a new one, just to rule that out.

Completely at loss to explain what is going on. Any ideas ? help ?

TIA
    Lig

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

reset router then configure it as an ap then connect it to the wimax modem

connect only one computer and run tests if ok

then connect one more computer and re run tests... continue until you find the offending computer.

once found run malware scans on it then reconnect it

see if there is any change!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lig

Freddy :

Apologies for not mentioning this earlier :

Configured all 3 routers as access points. Same result.
    Rebooted the main PC into Linux(UBUNTU) . Still the same result ..

Infact , the router is connected as an AP. Not really comfortable as the DHCP server is not mine.The LAN could be exposed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd look at this from two angles, neither of which are the actual in house router since you have tried three with similar results. .

Your pc is limiting traffic on the internal network(192.168.x.x) based on a firewall policy, when you connect directly you are most likely getting a public IP or one on a vastly different subnet.

Or your provider is limiting NAT'd traffic coming from your router.

Advertisement