Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild animals on walks

• 10-10-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I saw a badger recently on a walk but he disappeared, how should I get my dog stay away from these in the future - would an e-collar be a good idea?

Can anyone tell me what other animals I should be looking out for?

I am currently looking up on what to do if I come across a badger?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

A simple collar and lead would do the trick.

Nine times out of ten, if you came across a badger it would run away before you even seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

b_mac wrote: »
    A simple collar and lead would do the trick.

Nine times out of ten, if you came across a badger it would run away before you even seen it.

What's a collar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

euser1984 wrote: »
    What's a collar?

Don't know if you are being smart, but its what you put around a dogs neck to attach to a leash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Badgers are usually nocturnal, and are very shy animals. Usually....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually, but I've seen them around during the daytime too, usually in upland areas rather than woodland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

euser1984 wrote: »
    What's a collar?

Euser1984, in addition to your opening post, this sort of posting comes across as trolling. I'll be watching this thread very closely, so I'd suggest you take care to come across as if you want to be taken seriously from this point on.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you come across a badger while walking your dogs, put them on a lead and give the badgers a wide berth. They can do a lot of damage to a dog. Likewise if you have any small terriers and there are badger setts around.

I was out collecting my daughter today with my Border pup when a guy kept asking to buy him for badgering :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Knine wrote: »
    If you come across a badger while walking your dogs, put them on a lead and give the badgers a wide berth. They can do a lot of damage to a dog. Likewise if you have any small terriers and there are badger setts around.

I was out collecting my daughter today with my Border pup when a guy kept asking to buy him for badgering :mad:

We have badgers in our gardem never had a problem with them and the dogs - except the dogs will chase them off -

Badgers are pretty secretive but they may come out during the day at the mo because the ground is nice and soft for digging grubs and worms. I wouldn't worry just leash the dog if you are.

Advertisement