Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can motorbikes be caught by gosafe vans

• 10-10-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

May be a very silly question but can bikes get done by the speeding vans? There's no reg on the font of a bike for them to send the fine to is what I'm getting at.

I don't have a bike so don't worry this answer won't make me end up breaking the law or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

May be a very silly question but can bikes get done by the speeding vans? There's no reg on the font of a bike for them to send the fine to is what I'm getting at.

I don't have a bike so don't worry this answer won't make me end up breaking the law or anything.

Depends which way the van is facing..if it set up to catch traffic as it approaches then no..but if it targeting traffic moving away from the van then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Depends which way the van is facing..if it set up to catch traffic as it approaches then no..but if it targeting traffic moving away from the van then yes.

Ok thanks that's what I was guessing and then thought maybe since you can get such tiny plates on bikes that they could be ignored altogether by the vans, and just not by guards by radar guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I always pull a wheelie when going past those vans so they'll never catch my reg!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ok thanks that's what I was guessing and then thought maybe since you can get such tiny plates on bikes that they could be ignored altogether by the vans, and just not by guards by radar guns.

Even with a full size plate a carefully placed tax disc can help you out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Some of the traffic corp are pulling people over for this and they are not taking any nonsense excuses for it. This has been happening in the last two months. AFAIK it's just a fine and a bollocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Some of the traffic corp are pulling people over for this and they are not taking any nonsense excuses for it. This has been happening in the last two months. AFAIK it's just a fine and a bollocking.

Yeah dude tis true. But its still cheaper than an 80 quid fine and 2 points from a cleverly placed speed van catching you in an area where the speed limit drops all of a sudden.

Regarding that chap in the uk. He was doing 80mph in a 30mph zone. Im not suprised they went the extra mile and hunt him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Isn't there a camera on the front of some vans now aswell? To catch your rear reg?

Isn't there a camera on the front of some vans now aswell? To catch your rear reg?

Like i said above. A well placed tax disc sorts the issue of those vans catching your plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No, the camera on the front is for crew safety only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

No, the camera on the front is for crew safety only.

Phew, scared me a few times I must admit :D

Phew, scared me a few times I must admit :D

One of the mods on biker is a traffic cop, he covers this subject extensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

goodlad wrote: »
    Like i said above. A well placed tax disc sorts the issue of those vans catching your plate.

Gardai are pulling over folk for this......it's just p!sses them off as they know what your at. Likewise non display of tax discs is getting their ire up too.

My beef with the Gardai is they have turned into a revenue collection service leaving rafts of people in this island totally at the behest of thugs who beat the crap out of innocent people in their homes. (Sorry for off topic)

I have been pulled for the disc on the plate twice already.
    Once was a telling off and the second time was a 50 quid fine.

I weigh that up against the 5 or 6 times i went past the "go safe" vans in trap locations and avoided 2 points and 80 quid fine each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Likewise non display of tax discs is getting their ire up too.
    I carry mine in my license, as explained to a local rozzer upon being pulled recently, as I have had 3 tax discs stolen off my bike within the last 18 months...didn't seem to be an issue...so far...

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I carry mine in my license, as explained to a local rozzer upon being pulled recently, as I have had 3 tax discs stolen off my bike within the last 18 months...didn't seem to be an issue...so far...

Almost thirty years biking and this is how I carry mine too, and its never been an issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

goodlad wrote: »
    I have been pulled for the disc on the plate twice already.
    Once was a telling off and the second time was a 50 quid fine.

I weigh that up against the 5 or 6 times i went past the "go safe" vans in trap locations and avoided 2 points and 80 quid fine each time.

Or you could, you know, stick to the speed limit and then you would never have to pay a fine? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The go safe van checks both ways from the rear, so it depends which way tha OP was travelling.

Reati wrote: »
    Or you could, you know, stick to the speed limit and then you would never have to pay a fine? :confused:

Dont be silly.... The posted speed limits in this country are absolutely retarded in some areas and its in those areas a lot of speed vans are. Its nothing to do with safety with a lot of them. Its simply shooting fish in a barrel for easy fines.

Next you'll be saying not to wheelie ffs :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Almost thirty years biking and this is how I carry mine too, and its never been an issue either.

Speak of the devil......mine was tampered with today. Think I'll take your advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mine's in my chest pocket in a sandwich baggie. The only downside of the new licences is you can't really keep your tax disc with them. Or the IBT cert.

Was pulled over once on my fazer..... luckily wasn't asked for anything, had no tax at the time, had only bought it 2 days before :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Gardai are pulling over folk for this......it's just p!sses them off as they know what your at. Likewise non display of tax discs is getting their ire up too.

My beef with the Gardai is they have turned into a revenue collection service leaving rafts of people in this island totally at the behest of thugs who beat the crap out of innocent people in their homes. (Sorry for off topic)

Agreed - collecting speeding fines etc has become much more important than doing something about the 100+ convictions dirt bags that are everywhere and just continue doing what they want as there is no real punishment.

It's more the legal system than the Garda though - they simply choose to let them live like this without any real repercussions unless they murder somebody or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

LOL!
    My tax displayed is 3 years out of date! Have the current one in my pocket. Never had a problem. I find that 90% of the time I go through a checkpoint on a motorbike they just wave you through, they don't care about the tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I tried this once but I didn't like it.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I carry my Tax Disk on a keyring in one of the round holders.

It goes with me when I leave the bike, so the scrotes can't nick it.

It's always on the bike when I am.

Simples.

Advertisement