Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major electricity pylon route planned for Carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

almighty1 wrote: »
    Mount Leinster foothills - Borris Viaduct - St Mullins scenery. All major tourist attractions in South Carlow. All within a pylon route. I don't need to spell it out.

One could equally argue that the victorian railway viaduct in the middle of that image is a horrible piece of industrial infrastructure plonked into the middle of a landscape.

Not to mention the damage done to the forrest by agricultural activity over the millennia. That landscape should be oak forrest!

I think if pylons are done tastefully, they could actually fit in quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sure they're only lovely. Lets put them everywhere :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think if pylons are done tastefully, they could actually fit in quite well.

That's an oxymoron. There are no such things as tasteful pylons.
    2cq1krt.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So far the midlands want no electricity pylons and no wind turbines. Not mad for the electricity are we?

So far the midlands want no electricity pylons and no wind turbines. Not mad for the electricity are we?

Not mad about things that ruin our landscape evidently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

People tend to ruin landscapes , with houses and roads and fields and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Unfortunately modern technology hasn't addressed this issue. Think you are just gonna have to deal with it.

Unfortunately modern technology hasn't addressed this issue. Think you are just gonna have to deal with it.

Wrong on both parts but thanks for the eh...er.... debate anyway.

psinno wrote: »
    People tend to ruin landscapes , with houses and roads and fields and what not.

Seriously you are trying to compare 46m high pylons and wind farms to one-off housing, roads and fields? :eek:

Destroying a landscape happens in increments. Pylons today, factories tomorrow, motorways the next day. These things are needed and have to go somewhere but it needs to be well planned. Not all landscapes are equal. You just don't stick infrastructure everywhere.

we should endeavour to preserve unspoilt landscapes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I'm starting to think some of the pro pylon people on this thread are getting a bit suspicious looking and they may have more than a passing interest in the content of this thread. The argument to have pylons makes no sense to any normal minded person looking to protect the beautiful and special countryside we live in. Once these pylons go in , they will never ever be gone again. While I agree that for infrastructural reasons these pylons are needed to supply a power hungry and growing commuter belt population , as usual the easy option will always be taken.
    As this thread is starting to go around in circles can people maybe try to use it as a forum to publicise any action meetings in their area.
    We have time to make submissions and we are running out of time.
    There is information on the following page
    http://www.saveourheartland.com/homepage

and you can make a submission to Eirgrid directly from this site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm starting to think some of the pro pylon people on this thread are getting a bit suspicious looking and they may have more than a passing interest in the content of this thread. The argument to have pylons makes no sense to any normal minded person looking to protect the beautiful and special countryside we live in. Once these pylons go in , they will never ever be gone again.
    While I agree that for infrastructural reasons these pylons are needed to supply a power hungry and growing commuter belt population , as usual the easy option will always be taken.
    As this thread is starting to go around in circles can people maybe try to use it as a forum to publicise any action meetings in their area.

We have time to make submissions and we are running out of time.
    There is information on the following page

http://www.saveourheartland.com/homepage

and you can make a submission to Eirgrid directly from this site

Well yeah, that will boost your argument - accuse those that point out your NIMBYism of being eirgrid shills. The simple truth is that the alternative to overhead wires is an order of magnitude more expensive, and much more disruptive.

The countryside down there has long been ruined by one off housing anyway.

The objectors could be much more useful by insisting that Eirgrid use less visually obtrusive designs such as these http://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2011/sep/14/shortlist-designs-electricity-pylons-in-pictures

The countryside down there has long been ruined by one off housing anyway]

where are people getting this idea from? Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

fits wrote: »
    where are people getting this idea from? Genuine question.

http://www.eirgridprojects.com/media/Grid%20Link%201km%20Feasible%20Corridor%20Options%20Map%201%20of%206.pdf

Can you count the number of one offs on this map?! The countryside has long been ruined by selfish one off development.

Hmm. I'm not the greatest fan of one off houses, but they are part of our cultural fabric and are all over Ireland. To say the landscape of south Carlow is already ruined by them? Well I simply don't agree. Take a walk around Raheen or the lanes between Rathanna and Bally Murphy. Its still very much beautiful out there. If anything south Carlow is relatively untouched. Low intensity agriculture, no ghost estates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Too right oppenheimer1, my family ruined this area when they built our home 300 years ago. :eek:

ESB itself designed pylons that were shortlisted for that architectural award yet, they seem to continue to use ugly ones.

http://www.esbi.ie/news/2011/shortlisted-UK-pylon-design-competition.asp

WE NEED YOU TO SEND AN EMAIL BEFORE 5pm TODAY

The Carlow County Development Plan (2015-2021) is out for consultation at the moment. The deadline for submissions is 5pm today.

Please contact countydevplan@carlowcoco.ie and give your views. Put 'Review of Carlow County Development Plan' in the subject line and provide your name and address details. An example text is below.

The Carlow County Development Plan should include High Amenity Area mapping for County Carlow. The plan in its current form does not adequately protect the scenic landscapes of County Carlow which are of vital importance to our sustainable rural economy. In particular the County Development Plan in its current form does not reflect the national importance of the South Carlow landscape, included in a 1994 Bord Failte map of National Scenic Landscapes, or indeed the Council's, and Carlow Tourism's plans and investments in the area. Finally, the extent of High Amenity Area mapping should be assessed in conjunction with the plans of adjacent counties, to ensure more consistency across county boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

This should answer a lot of questions - in the Dail yesterday.:D

Jay-sus.

Could they even pretend to be professional.

• Advertisement

Feckin eegits the both of them. Jaysus Mattie McGrath didn't even mention about the savings associated with maintenance. The people of Ireland need somebody with a bit more cop on than Mattie McGrath to fight our case in houses of the Oireachtas

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't have any problem with people opposing pylons for genuine reasons but nimby is not one imo and those opposing the pylons need to understand not everyone shares their view and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I for one have no issue with the pylons and I just hope they have the sense to use the infrastructure to carry fibre cables for connectivity also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Villain wrote: »
    I don't have any problem with people opposing pylons for genuine reasons but nimby is not one imo and those opposing the pylons need to understand not everyone shares their view and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I for one have no issue with the pylons and I just hope they have the sense to use the infrastructure to carry fibre cables for connectivity also.

Eircom were out in rural Myshall last week checking if the existing telephone poles were suitable for finer cables.

Would you have problems with pylons if they were located 50m from your residence?

Would you have problems with pylons if they were located 50m from your residence?

I wouldn't be jumping for joy but I would accept it, they have to go in someone's backyard!

If locals don't look after their area, then who will?

I agree that they have to go somewhere and it really sucks for people who will be living near them. I really believe they should go up along motorways rather than through virgin unspoilt areas.

Btw, I don't have any property along the routes. Maybe sometime I will but not now. I love the landscape of South Carlow and I think it should be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I got a call from a Carlow councilor this morning to discuss my submission. I also do not have NIMBY attitude to this. I feel the unspoilt beauty and amenity of South Carlow needs to be protected.
    We are hoping a change is designation of the amenity for South Carlow will help us keep it beautiful

A lot of electricity routes already carry fibre and have done for years.

Various Irish phone and broadband companies use it for backhaul.

Big issue in Ireland however is the access networks. We've loads of fibre for the trunk networks.

What they could do is put wireless broadband nodes on the pylons and backhaul them on fibre. That would give everyone in view of a pylon blazingly fast broadband without any need for phone lines.

If they used the right technology, a small antenna on your roof would give you 100+Mbit/s

Combine that with tasteful tower designs and picking the least visually obtrusive route and maybe eirgrid wouldn't have so many people up in arms as it might be providing a directly useful service to people rather than just end to end connectivity for electricity and data.

.......I would accept it......

I don't believe you.

• Advertisement

I don't believe you.

I would, I got planning permission for a house in the country what right have I to deny pylons??

I've have been told one route is near me but I don't mind.

Advertisement