Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major electricity pylon route planned for Carlow

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

There will be another protest outside council offices at 1:30PM tomorrow Monday 11th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

almighty1 wrote: »
    There is no direct benefit to Carlow. This project is just linking Newbridge -Wexford - Waterford - Cork that will allow export of electricity to England and France .

To France?
    Seriously, pipe-dream stuff!
    France is the world's largest electricity exporter with too much generation capacity most of the time. There's absolutely no way we'd have any market there for our very expensive and quite over-priced electricity!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    To France?
    Seriously, pipe-dream stuff!
    France is the world's largest electricity exporter with too much generation capacity most of the time. There's absolutely no way we'd have any market there for our very expensive and quite over-priced electricity!

http://www.eirgridprojects.com/projects/gridlink/overview/
    Eirgrid wrote:
    • Facilitating possible electricity links with either Britain or France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Absent any other information why do you believe that means export not import?

http://www.eirgridprojects.com/projects/gridlink/benefits/

4. The Grid Link Project will facilitate possible electricity links with either Britain or France

Interconnection will enhance the electricity market by facilitating competition leading to downward pressure on electricity prices and increasing security of supply.

psinno wrote: »
    Absent any other information why do you believe that means export not import?

http://www.eirgridprojects.com/projects/gridlink/benefits/

4. The Grid Link Project will facilitate possible electricity links with either Britain or France

Interconnection will enhance the electricity market by facilitating competition leading to downward pressure on electricity prices and increasing security of supply.

Which proves the technology is there to put the cable under water. Running from Newbridge to Wexford to Waterford to Cork. Eirgrid are already running an underground connector from Meath to coastline and onto Wales.

Why not underground Newbridge to Bray (or wherever) and then undersea looping around SE coast to all connector sites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Which proves the technology is there to put the cable under water. Running from Newbridge to Wexford to Waterford to Cork. Eirgrid are already running an underground connector from Meath to coastline and onto Wales.

Why not underground Newbridge to Bray (or wherever) and then undersea looping around SE coast to all connector sites?

Would that not be lot more expensive?

Villain wrote: »
    Would that not be lot more expensive?

I've no idea to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is there anything really we can do about this though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Saw a comment on Sue Nunn's facebook about the line (Phil Hogan was quoted as saying) it's going via Leighlinbridge. I assume then that's not the route down through St. Muillins rather the one through Kilkenny?

road_high wrote: »
    Saw a comment on Sue Nunn's facebook about the line (Phil Hogan was quoted as saying) it's going via Leighlinbridge. I assume then that's not the route down through St. Muillins rather the one through Kilkenny?

Yes that is the Kilkenny route however if there is any truth in that then surely Phil Hogan wouldn't be publicising it (given that its affecting his constituents)

I cannot find that comment on Sue Nunns facebook page.

Edit : Its on twitter
    Pylons again folks! Looks like Leighlinbridge route. Phil Hogan says no choice its going ahead anyway.

• Advertisement

Did people honestly think it wouldn't go ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Exactly what I said and found hilarious about the whole thing, I'd expect to win the lottery every week for a year more than I'd think that this would not go ahead.

And you think today's comment by a z-list radio presenter makes any difference? Alot of water has to go under the bridge before anything happens.

A Meath group has been fighting their corner for 6 years and Eirgrid still haven't submitted correct documents to An Bord Pleannala.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

It will be going ahead. Eirgrid is a semi state and it will be going ahead but as mentioned previously it is that we need to get these underground. This is the start of the process that is expected to take approx 4yrs before they will be installing these 43 meter high pylons. If you wish too make a submission your have until 26 Nov. This will be an important chance for people to give their views and concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

SV wrote: »
    Exactly what I said and found hilarious about the whole thing, I'd expect to win the lottery every week for a year more than I'd think that this would not go ahead.
    Have you anything else constructive to add ? I remember you posted a lovely picture on the forum taken from Kileshin about a year ago. Try to imagine that same pic with 43metre high pylons running the whole width of the picture.

Royal Scam I think your time is lost on replying to them. Nimbys don't care until they become potential imbys.

Have you anything else constructive to add ? I remember you posted a lovely picture on the forum taken from Kileshin about a year ago. Try to imagine that same pic with 43metre high pylons running the whole width of the picture.

It honestly wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    Nah nothing constructive, find the whole protesting thing just hilarious is all.

It honestly wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    Nah nothing constructive, find the whole protesting thing just hilarious is all.

Hilarious? You're easily amused. Are you so passive about all things in life?

I find it odd that so many people will spend time and energy on pylons NIMBY when there as so many other issues in the country.

Hilarious? You're easily amused. Are you so passive about all things in life?

Only about things that don't really matter to me, in the slightest.

I don't think it's easily amused to see people try so hard to do something that just won't have any effect.
    It's like looking at one man chipping away at the great wall of china with a toothpick. Just not gonna happen.

• Advertisement

Only about things that don't really matter to me, in the slightest.

I don't think it's easily amused to see people try so hard to do something that just won't have any effect.
    It's like looking at one man chipping away at the great wall of china with a toothpick. Just not gonna happen.

There are so many things wrong with that post. First sentence means that you think its hilarious because the pylons won't be affecting you so you can have a laugh at the people who it will be impacting.

Lastly its not just 1 man. Its a massive group of people who are organised and well funded throughout Ireland.
    I'm glad such minority groups in history didn't have your outlook. South Africa would still have apartheid, American blacks still wouldn't be allowed into some restaurants, women wouldn't be able to vote etc etc.

Anyway I won't be discussing this with you further, some people are happy with what is in their current line of sight and some people want to see further. Its patently obvious which group you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Are we really comparing the protest against electricity pylons with the apartheid struggles? I mean really?

Are we really comparing the protest against electricity pylons with the apartheid struggles? I mean really?

Jesus Christ :rolleyes:. Where was I comparing? Read my post ....slowly.

There are so many things wrong with that post. First sentence means that you think its hilarious because the pylons won't be affecting you so you can have a laugh at the people who it will be impacting.

Lastly its not just 1 man. Its a massive group of people who are organised and well funded throughout Ireland.
    I'm glad such minority groups in history didn't have your outlook. South Africa would still have apartheid, American blacks still wouldn't be allowed into some restaurants, women wouldn't be able to vote etc etc.

Anyway I won't be discussing this with you further, some people are happy with what is in their current line of sight and some people want to see further. Its patently obvious which group you're in.

It wouldn't affect me if they plonked one through my bathroom, apart from having to navigate a few pieces of metal.
    the thing I think is hilarious btw is that the protestors think this is going to do anything.

lol, yes you're definitely the same kind of minority group, come on! Unjust and violating human rights vs not wanting to see pylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Meeting tonight in Newtown national school for anybody interested. starts at 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It wouldn't affect me if they plonked one through my bathroom, apart from having to navigate a few pieces of metal.
    the thing I think is hilarious btw is that the protestors think this is going to do anything.

lol, yes you're definitely the same kind of minority group, come on! Unjust and violating human rights vs not wanting to see pylons.

Total agree. This mass hysteria about it is out of control.
    Que quoting various studies that show some spuriuos link between the lines and cancer/mass deaths ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

http://www.eirgridprojects.com/media/Grid%20Link%201km%20Feasible%20Corridor%20Options%20Map%201%20of%206.pdf

Can you count the number of one offs on this map?! The countryside has long been ruined by selfish one off development.

Living on a small island with limited space for housing means that we are unlikely to have the type of open countryside that they have on the continent or even in parts of the UK. We should limit the size and design of the houses however , too much bungalow bliss and mcmansions from the boom. Not everybody wants to live in a town or village , some urban people will scoff at this but there is a cultural group of people who are rural and have been living in the countryside for generations , it is their way of life , it's my roots. Who should be allowed to live in the countryside , farmers and the wealthy?. I've a feeling that some of the posters here may either have retreats in the countryside or like to live there , just without the mullahs being in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If *anywhere* in Europe should have open countryside, it's Ireland.
    We've one of the lowest density populations in the EU! We have oodles of space for housing, we just choose to scatter ourselves as far apart as humanly possible, then moan about lack of infrastructure.

The bungalow blitz type development means that we tend to have very, very low density housing absolutely scattered sparsely everywhere rather than proper towns/villages like most of Europe has.

There's only 65 people km2 in Ireland! Only Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Sweden and Finland are less densely populated. We're comparable with Scotland's slightly more dense population of 67 / km2

France 111
    The UK has 255.6 / km2
    Netherlands 393
    Germany 233

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If *anywhere* in Europe should have open countryside, it's Ireland.
    We've one of the lowest density populations in the EU! We have oodles of space for housing, we just choose to scatter ourselves as far apart as humanly possible, then moan about lack of infrastructure.

Rural dwelling is part of our cultural fabric and always has been. We shouldn't be like anyone else only ourselves. And believe me I am no fan of bungalow blitz or insensitive development.

I wonder what the countryside was like pre famine and with a population of 8 million sometimes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

fits wrote: »
    I wonder what the countryside was like pre famine and with a population of 8 million sometimes..

I image the population shift is nothing compared to the technology shift. The countryside only got electricity about 60 years ago.

Advertisement