Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHO Matching Scheme

Options
  • 10-10-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,
    I'm a medical student in my 4th year in Italy and I am interested in the Irish postgraduate training.
    I've seen a lot of information about the intern year but no so much about the SHO Matching Scheme.

My questions are the following:

-How important is the centile in this process? being in the top 5 (of 300) for example.
    -Besides the academic results, what can secure a good spot in the Basic medical training?
    -Do the European students have the same opportunities in the process as the Irish ones?

Thanks for your answers.

Nice to read you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

References from Consultants you've worked with are important as are the actual jobs you've done

Research, poster presentations etc

interviewing well

While outstanding result from medical school will help, they usually look for people that can do the job and are reliable over having a 1st in medicine, of course if you combine the two your off to a winning start

What do you mean by European students? Irish people who have studied abroad? Depends on what scheme you want to get on, med and surg are handy enough to get on if you don't mind where you are based, the rest are a bit harder GP and anesthetics probably being two of the more competitive at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eurotrip

Thank you very much for your answers usersame :):)
    usersame wrote: »
    References from Consultants you've worked with are important as are the actual jobs you've done

Research, poster presentations etc

interviewing well

While outstanding result from medical school will help, they usually look for people that can do the job and are reliable over having a 1st in medicine, of course if you combine the two your off to a winning start

What do you mean by European students? Irish people who have studied abroad? Depends on what scheme you want to get on, med and surg are handy enough to get on if you don't mind where you are based, the rest are a bit harder GP and anesthetics probably being two of the more competitive at the moment

I was talking about European (but not irish) med students studying in Europe (but not in Ireland) : Spanish, French, Italian, German, you name it.

My question is if one of this students with good centile, letters of recommendation and some research could be able to get a Basic Medical/Surgical Training spot in a good hospital in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

It is becoming very difficult to get a place on a surgical training scheme since they have revamped the scheme. The medical scheme is probably the easiest to get onto with good hospital placements. I suppose the most important thing is to demonstrate interest in the area you are applying to, research and publications and good letters of recommendation. And a good interview!

sillymoo wrote: »
    It is becoming very difficult to get a place on a surgical training scheme since they have revamped the scheme. The medical scheme is probably the easiest to get onto with good hospital placements. I suppose the most important thing is to demonstrate interest in the area you are applying to, research and publications and good letters of recommendation. And a good interview!

It's not that hard to be fair, I don't know anyone who didn't get on it, a few had to move cities etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

It's not that hard to be fair, I don't know anyone who didn't get on it, a few had to move cities etc

I know quite a few who didn't get in last year. Differing opinions I suppose. The advice is still the same. You need to demonstrate an interest in the area and a strong interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 derrick yong

Hi, anyone have any views on postgraduate training in Medicine in Ireland compared to Australia? thanks !

Advertisement