Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Terrier

• 10-10-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello,

I'm having a rather difficult time finding a breeder of Manchester Terriers. I'm looking for the standard terrier or Manchester Terrier Toy. I rang the kennel club and they do not know of any in the Republic or in NI. Does anyone here know of one?

Why are they not more popular? They seem like an ideal dog.

MB
    T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Why are they not more popular? They seem like an ideal dog.

Maybe if you list what traits your ideal dog has people could suggest alternatives - unless you're 100% set on a manchester terrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tescosolvakia

tk123 wrote: »
    Maybe if you list what traits your ideal dog has people could suggest alternatives - unless you're 100% set on a manchester terrier?

I'm flexible with the breed, I was originally looking for a Weimarainer but my partner isn't overly keen on their size.

We would like a dog that is easily trained, who enjoys a lot of exercise and attention but is independent too. The dog won't be on its own for any extended period of time and there are no children other than an enthusiastic 11 year old neighbour.

I like whippets but would prefer the Manchester Terrier.

Thanks a mil,
    T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They're a rare breed all right! Seen them at Crufts and they look like a real characterful dog.

Is this breeder any good to you, OP? In Wales mind, but if you really want the dog, the breeder could make arrangements for you to meet, see the dog and bring it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm flexible with the breed, I was originally looking for a Weimarainer but my partner isn't overly keen on their size.

We would like a dog that is easily trained, who enjoys a lot of exercise and attention but is independent too. The dog won't be on its own for any extended period of time and there are no children other than an enthusiastic 11 year old neighbour.

I like whippets but would prefer the Manchester Terrier.

Thanks a mil,
    T

It's a big jump from Weimeraner to Manchester terrier. I don't think there's any terrier breed I'd describe as 'easily trained' though, they're generally very independent and often have a high prey drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

kylith wrote: »
    It's a big jump from Weimeraner to Manchester terrier. I don't think there's any terrier breed I'd describe as 'easily trained' though, they're generally very independent and often have a high prey drive.

My terriers are easy enough to be trained although I start at a very young age! They do however have a high prey drive. The bitches tend to be more independent then the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Knine wrote: »
    My terriers are easy enough to be trained although I start at a very young age! They do however have a high prey drive. The bitches tend to be more independent then the dogs.

Well, I deal mainly with bitches, so maybe that's it! They're more than able to pick things up fast but whether or not they do what they're told depends on their own priorities. That is, I think, the terrier way; when you're bred to go into setts and earths you need to be able to make your own decisions.

OP, there's a world of difference between a Weim and a terrier, and not just in size. If you could give us an idea of how much exercise they're looking to do, how much grooming, how much space you have, whether you want to be able to let the dog off lead or not, it will help people recommend a breed that might suit.

kylith wrote: »

OP, there's a world of difference between a Weim and a terrier, and not just in size. If you could give us an idea of how much exercise they're looking to do, how much grooming, how much space you have, whether you want to be able to let the dog off lead or not, it will help people recommend a breed that might suit.

I like a sporty dog, if that makes sense?
    The Manchester terrier because of its agility & hunting instict and a Weimarainer because of their love of exercise. By 'easily trained' I don't mean I'm looking to have it jumping through hoops or anything, just the basics. I'm prepared to devote a lot of time to train it and exercise it.

I have a large front & back garden and 2 mins away from Herbert Park. I would like to let it off lead for runs and games of catch etc. it will be walked and exercised about an hour everyday and also played with at home for mental stimulation.

I prefer short haired breeds but open to others. I would like a nimble dog with an athletic build. I was looking at a Miniture Pinscher but don't think they are suitable for us due to their digging and desire to escape!

@ABajaninCork Thank you for that info.
    Would it be difficult to get a dog from Whales? I did come across that breeder yesterday but will give it some serious consideration. Thank you :)

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its very easy to get a dog from the UK. You just need to get to know your breeder first and build up a relationship with them as a lot of breeders are reluctant to sell to people they dont know.
    Wales is only a ferry trip and the dog can be taken back in the car on the way home, very easy :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

High prey drive and Herbert park ... Duck for dinner every night!! ;-) Middle ground could be a lab type plenty looking for homes and in general they are smaller than a weim and love activity and chasing a ball... I say in general as I have had a few lazy labs who would much prefer I retrieved my own ball and stop pestering them! If u have loads of time for training a lab type can make a fantastic active doggie.

cjf wrote: »
    High prey drive and Herbert park ... Duck for dinner every night!! ;-) Middle ground could be a lab type plenty looking for homes and in general they are smaller than a weim and love activity and chasing a ball... I say in general as I have had a few lazy labs who would much prefer I retrieved my own ball and stop pestering them! If u have loads of time for training a lab type can make a fantastic active doggie.

I would love a lab, but ideally we are looking for a smaller breed. I sent some emails to terrier clubs & associations and have gotten a few leads. It's likely I'll have to go to the UK but there's also one up north for Manchester Terriers.

I'll have to stick to the park without the pond, as my mum's dog is no longer allowed in for similar reasons!! I don't know the breed of her dog but she has that hunter instinc which i love; she's pampered and kept as a lap dog but when she is around a bird or squirrell the instinct comes out! Not saying I want a duck-hunting dog, but I love the energy and tenacity that comes with the trait.

Thank you to everyone who helped, I will keep you guys updated with how I get on. My partner & I have really researched the most suitable type of dog for us and will committ to being good dog owners. I still can't believe how uncommon a Manchester Terrier is in Ireland!

Incidentally, does anyone here have one or any experience with one?

Thanks again,
    MB
    T

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Its very easy to get a dog from the UK. You just need to get to know your breeder first and build up a relationship with them as a lot of breeders are reluctant to sell to people they dont know.
    Wales is only a ferry trip and the dog can be taken back in the car on the way home, very easy :-)

Thank you, this is very helpful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

would you consider a westie? i have two - my male was a million times easier trianed than my female.

they are both sturdy, love exercise (they are in fact hell to live with if they dont get out a long walk each day), great fun, independant and love rough and tumble play. a lot have skin issues but i dont have too many problems. they have a tough wiry coat which is surprisingly easy to keep clean. dirt just brushes out.

i get mine groomed quarterly which is plenty for them.

mine are rescues but I believe the nearest quality westie breeders in in the north of ireland.

There are actually lots of Terrier Breeds that might be worth looking at. The Pet Expo in the RDS would be worth a visit or the IKC Bull Breeds show near Dublin Airport at the end of this month. That way you can see the dogs in the flesh.

Remember that the dogs with the highest prey drive take a hell of a lot of exercise & mental stimulation. My own terriers need more then an hour of exercise & would give the working & gundog breeds a run for their money energy wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sk8rchic

OP - If you like the look of the Manchester Terrier, maybe a miniature pincher? They are great tiny dogs with huge personality!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 the_wee_eejit

I wouldn't recommend a terrier for any first time dog tbh (I have a rottweiler, working cocker spaniel and cairn terrier) The cairn was by far the hardest work as a pup but that said I picked all 3 breeds because like you, i wanted 'working'/hunting/gun dogs. My dogs do hunt and i could never take them to a park with ducks lol!! I do have access to a 2000 acre forest though and that's where we walk/hunt for 2-3 hours daily.

As you so admire hunting/working types, why not consider a working cocker spaniel? (not to be confused with a show cocker - same breed, different blood lines and very different dogs!!!). Working cockers are born to hunt, easiest dogs to train in the world and are 100% committed to you. They are VERY lively, active little dogs so walking/play hunting is not an option!

I have a friend who has a Manchester terrier called Rocco. She has zero control over this dog despite trainers and psychologists. Everyone knows her dog in the local parks and avoids her its so out of control!!! She just doesn't get the terrier psyche so sadly the dog is in the wrong hands. Terriers are hard work but if you understand them you will enjoy their independent, feisty spirit.
    You would also have to accept with a terrier that their independence means they don't go in for all that cuddling, belly rubs type stuff. Yeah they like it on their terms but they are equally happy curling up away from you which is quite difficult for some people as they think their dogs don't like them. They can be like cats in that respect lol!!!
    My cairn is very attached and loyal to me but he clears off for a snooze away from everyone. My spaniel on the other hand is glued to my side!! I can't leave the room for a minute but he is there beside me and my rotty loves close contact also.
    I guess you have to consider this side of things too before choosing the right breed. What do you want from a dog when you're not out 'hunting' and playing? Terriers can take you or leave you when it comes to snuggling up on the sofa so take that into account too!

I hope you get a great dog that suits your lifestyle, its great to see someone taking the time to research breeds first, trust me, all your research will pay off so that you end up with the right type of dog for you and what you can provide for that dogs needs. Good luck!

You would also have to accept with a terrier that their independence means they don't go in for all that cuddling, belly rubs type stuff. Yeah they like it on their terms but they are equally happy curling up away from you which is quite difficult for some people as they think their dogs don't like them. They can be like cats in that respect lol!!!
    My cairn is very attached and loyal to me but he clears off for a snooze away from everyone. My spaniel on the other hand is glued to my side!! I can't leave the room for a minute but he is there beside me and my rotty loves close contact also.
    I guess you have to consider this side of things too before choosing the right breed. What do you want from a dog when you're not out 'hunting' and playing? Terriers can take you or leave you when it comes to snuggling up on the sofa so take that into account too!
    !

I actually don't accept that terriers don't go in for that cuddling stuff. Mine are all extremely affectionate, will sit on the sofa with you or more likely piled up on top of you. In the field they are as hard as nails however.
    Mine will also leave ducks & livestock alone because I trained them to do so! They can be some what independent especially the bitches but belly rubs are a favourite hobby in this house. (For the dogs)

Advertisement