Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like to scrap International Weekends?

• 10-10-2013 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

And go back to the old system with matches played in midweek not interfering with the domestic programme, I hate them myself, give me a Monday night match, followed by two nights of CL and the EL on Thursday and a Championship or Bundesliga game on the Friday.

Of course everyone would like to scrap this one involving Germany away !

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I like them. I do hate the new Friday night system though, I really wish they'd spread them over the whole weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They always interfered- at least now it's two matches together

Personally, I think the Friday games are way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Don't ever remember a time when internationals weren't played on weekends. Stupid thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'm not that much into international football as I am in club football, but I'd find them grand if they were on Saturdays and Wednesdays, like they used to be. It's annoying having the regular Friday night kick off, that most clubs in the league go by, interfered with. For most of the teams, any time other than Sunday will mean lower crowds. The Saturday afternoons never caused any hassle. Even teams that had their matches on a Saturday night would be grand. It could've actually been a big boost for Dublin clubs, as they might attract fans of the travelling international side, if Ireland were at home on the Saturday. I remember Rovers had a huge German crowd at one of their matches in Tolka in 2007. A few even made their way out to Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I like them. I do hate the new Friday night system though, I really wish they'd spread them over the whole weekend.

They are from the next campaign onwards.

If you have two qualifiers scheduled they will either be Thursday/Sunday, Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday, the plan being an equal spread of games over the 6 days.
    'Week of Football' is UEFAs name for the concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

iDave wrote: »
    Don't ever remember a time when internationals weren't played on weekends. Stupid thread

Calm down Dear, just throwing an idea out there, that there maybe some alternative to present arrangements.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't like the Friday night games cause it interferes with LOI games :p

But otherwise I like them. Don't share the dislike/indifference to the international game that some seem to have.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

absolutly , hate them , much preffered when international matches were scattered through the season on a wednesday night. The new format actually devalues international football IMO. I find international weekends a bore fest , when i used to love mid week internationals. Thanks once again Mr. Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ah here, it's not that long ago since almost all qualifiers were played midweek (except at the end of the season when league matches had finished).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ireland used to play on Wednesday afternoons due to no lighting at Lansdowne Road for night time games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'd have half of the groups play Friday then the other half Saturday. The teams who play Friday then play Tuesday and the Saturday teams play Wednesday. Obviously switch them around so that the same countries don't always end up playing on Wednesdays.
    I'd like to see more S.American qualifiers on the telly, I think Setanta have Argentina's home games but thats damn all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

lertsnim wrote: »
    Ireland used to play on Wednesday afternoons due to no lighting at Lansdowne Road for night time games

used to love that, the teacher would roll the telly into the classroom about fifteen minutes before kick off, then everyone in the class would become a TV Engineer - "click this button"..."no press that one", then you'd leave at half time and leg it home (no after-school scraps arranged for those particular days).

Zig and Zag on afterwards - one of them would be called Amoan Grumpy, can't remember what they'd use for Giles.

Apart from the above nostalgia, I hate international football - so yes, scrap it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Johnny styles. Master of fashion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

lertsnim wrote: »

Think we played a couple of Sunday afternoon qualifiers for Italia '90, Malta and Hungary at home!

Spain was a Wednesday afternoon game and I think the Norn Iron game was a Wednesday too but iirc it kicked off early about 1pm!

Mad to think we had no floodlights in Lansdowne :D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

dd972 wrote: »
    And go back to the old system with matches played in midweek not interfering with the domestic programme, I hate them myself, give me a Monday night match, followed by two nights of CL and the EL on Thursday and a Championship or Bundesliga game on the Friday.

Of course everyone would like to scrap this one involving Germany away !

I thought this was the soccer forum?? There's a TV forum if you want to complain about TV schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

used to love that, the teacher would roll the telly into the classroom about fifteen minutes before kick off, then everyone in the class would become a TV Engineer - "click this button"..."no press that one", then you'd leave at half time and leg it home (no after-school scraps arranged for those particular days).

Zig and Zag on afterwards - one of them would be called Amoan Grumpy, can't remember what they'd use for Giles.

Apart from the above nostalgia, I hate international football - so yes, scrap it.

My school wouldn't show the games and tried to stop parents taking their kids out of school to watch them. I remember when Ireland played England in 91 to qualify for the Euros (1-1, Cascarino with the equaliser) and they sent a note around to say just that and I put my head on the desk and cried for the afternoon.

Brought the note home to my dad, who is big on education incidentally, and he just said "f**k that, if you want to watch the game, I'll take you out of school to do it and they aren't gonna tell me otherwise." And he did. And the school did f**k all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Poland at home for Euro 92 qualifiers was definitely an early afternoon kick off. I remember missing that one :(. Have to say I am a fan of the Friday evening kick offs. It doesn't affect the Rovers home fixtures but I'd imagine it's annoying for other teams that play at home on a Friday in the league.

Advertisement