Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Cider

Options
  • 10-10-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

I done a batch of cider last thursday, it was bubbling away nicely but seems to have stopped now. Has it finished fermenting? Should I bottle it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Has it finished fermenting?
    The only way to know is by taking gravity readings a few days apart. If they've stabilised, fermentation is finished but there's no harm leaving it longer in the fermenter. Rushing it is more likely to harm it than leaving it long.
    Should I bottle it?
    Give it a minimum of two weeks before bottling and make sure the gravity has stabilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Brilliant, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

BeerNut wrote: »
    The only way to know is by taking gravity readings a few days apart. If they've stabilised, fermentation is finished but there's no harm leaving it longer in the fermenter. Rushing it is more likely to harm it than leaving it long.

Give it a minimum of two weeks before bottling and make sure the gravity has stabilised.

Ah, good advice, I'll be doing the same for my bitter, which seems to be in the same boat (although prob due to cold temps)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

My brew seems to have stabilised at about 1.000, is this ok? Sorry I haven't a clue what I'm doing :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yep, sounds about right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement