Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling vs Gaelic

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Watching a game of Football right after game of football for me decides it like Club Finals etc.

Hurling wins by so much it aint funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

You mean the club finals where the football has been invariably the better game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

''there is only one cure for the big ball and thats the big knife'' .

haha i always hated that saying , espicaly when people dont have the same problem about soccer or rugby the oppisite annoys me about hurling the fact there probley is more promation of the two over hurling in many parts of the country!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

TBP wrote: »
    Stupid enough comments alright and anyone that thinks that way clearly haven't a clue how drilled hurlers are when it comes to tactic's and teamwork. Fair enough there'll be a certain amount of puck the sliotar as far as you can, just get rid of but the vast majority of the time a player once he gets his hands on the sliotar will be trying to land it in a specific area of the pitch and a teammate of his will know the sliotar could be landing around that area too, it would have been drilled into them at training etc. The amount of off the ball movement in hurling and the need for quick thinking far surpasses that of football or what's needed in football.

The truth is that although clearly tactics and team work play a part in hurling it wouldn't be as important as teamwork and tactics in football.Anyone who has watched both games can clearly see that.The same applies to lots of sports some sports require more tactics and teamwork than others.

Alot more teamwork is required in football to get the ball into the scoring zone than for hurling, teams regularly get score from close to the middle of the field in hurling you need to get inside the 45 to be even close to getting a score in football and this requires a lot of team work, you cant just win a kickout or a clearance and football and be in with a good chance of a score, the same doesn't apply in hurling.

I would say there is more off the ball movement in football than hurling (although I haven't stats to back it up) simply because footballers are generally considered to be fitter than their hurling counterparts and a huge amount of support play is required in football as there is more hand passing than in hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

The truth is that although clearly tactics and team work play a part in hurling it wouldn't be as important as teamwork and tactics in football.Anyone who has watched both games can clearly see that.The same applies to lots of sports some sports require more tactics and teamwork than others.

Alot more teamwork is required in football to get the ball into the scoring zone than for hurling, teams regularly get score from close to the middle of the field in hurling you need to get inside the 45 to be even close to getting a score in football and this requires a lot of team work, you cant just win a kickout or a clearance and football and be in with a good chance of a score, the same doesn't apply in hurling.

I would say there is more off the ball movement in football than hurling (although I haven't stats to back it up) simply because footballers are generally considered to be fitter than their hurling counterparts and a huge amount of support play is required in football as there is more hand passing than in hurling.

Considering the speed the game of hurling does be played at and how if a player takes his eye off the ball for a split second it could result in a score and it might be worth bearing in mind how far out a score can be got in hurling I'd argue otherwise. In hurling getting that vital yard or two ahead of the lad you're marking is of a lot more importance than that in football quite simply because a puck of the ball from as far back as your own half back line can prove to be pivotal. Where as in football there'll be several chances for a team to intervene when the opposition start an attack back at their own half back line. Tactics and off the ball movement is hugely important and a big thing in hurling.

I've been to loads of hurling and football matches, many at the highest level and unless I'm a bit blind there is no doubt in my mind that there is far more off the ball movement in hurling and as regards the tactics whoever thinks tactics don't play a huge part in the game haven't a clue. I'd argue hurlers at inter county level particularly would be just as fit as their footballing counter parts as well. They'd have to be, the game does be played at lightening speed for 70 odd minutes. Don't ask me where I read it but I remember reading a stat last year after the Galway Kilkenny first match how some players had clocked up 10 -12k in the 70 minutes, some one was comparing hurlers fitness or what they have to run/do in a match as opposed to that of Premier League footballers I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Have to be hurling. It is a great game to watch and play. Football has declined a lot but the rules are not helping. The great skills of fielding and long range kicking have gone from the game. A good runner could be a top class footballer very quickly as all he has to do is run up and down the field and handpass the ball. If the rules were changed to limit the amount of handpasses to two/three before you have to kick it, it would do a lot for the game. Also if a player fields the ball over his head a rule should be brought in to give him a yard of space before his opponent can tackle him again. It would encourageand reward those skills. From playing gaelic the training was way overbased on fitness and handpass drills rather than fielding, tackling or kicking skills.

Have to be hurling. It is a great game to watch and play. Football has declined a lot but the rules are not helping. The great skills of fielding and long range kicking have gone from the game. A good runner could be a top class footballer very quickly as all he has to do is run up and down the field and handpass the ball. If the rules were changed to limit the amount of handpasses to two/three before you have to kick it, it would do a lot for the game. Also if a player fields the ball over his head a rule should be brought in to give him a yard of space before his opponent can tackle him again. It would encourageand reward those skills. From playing gaelic the training was way overbased on fitness and handpass drills rather than fielding, tackling or kicking skills.

agreed 100% everyone is still raving about how good the kerry dublin game was this year, i can remember not too long ago when most games of football were played in the same manner and as easy on the eye

who could forget pat spillanes take on puke football at the time everyone laughed at him ............i dont see too many laughing now!!!!

there is alot football can learn from hurling, this years championship was very poor in standerd but if there is a silver lining to be taking out of it atleast the all ireland final was played out by two "footballing" teams.

• Advertisement

TBP wrote: »
    Considering the speed the game of hurling does be played at and how if a player takes his eye off the ball for a split second it could result in a score and it might be worth bearing in mind how far out a score can be got in hurling I'd argue otherwise. In hurling getting that vital yard or two ahead of the lad you're marking is of a lot more importance than that in football quite simply because a puck of the ball from as far back as your own half back line can prove to be pivotal. Where as in football there'll be several chances for a team to intervene when the opposition start an attack back at their own half back line. Tactics and off the ball movement is hugely important and a big thing in hurling.

I've been to loads of hurling and football matches, many at the highest level and unless I'm a bit blind there is no doubt in my mind that there is far more off the ball movement in hurling and as regards the tactics whoever thinks tactics don't play a huge part in the game haven't a clue. I'd argue hurlers at inter county level particularly would be just as fit as their footballing counter parts as well. They'd have to be, the game does be played at lightening speed for 70 odd minutes. Don't ask me where I read it but I remember reading a stat last year after the Galway Kilkenny first match how some players had clocked up 10 -12k in the 70 minutes, some one was comparing hurlers fitness or what they have to run/do in a match as opposed to that of Premier League footballers I think.

No one said that tactics in hurling werent important.They are just not quite as important as in other games.

agreed 100% everyone is still raving about how good the kerry dublin game was this year, i can remember not too long ago when most games of football were played in the same manner and as easy on the eye

who could forget pat spillanes take on puke football at the time everyone laughed at him ............i dont see too many laughing now!!!!

there is alot football can learn from hurling, this years championship was very poor in standerd but if there is a silver lining to be taking out of it atleast the all ireland final was played out by two "footballing" teams.

Standards in football have improved a lot in the last decade and will continue too improve. Defences are tighter than ever yet scoring averages are the same as they have been for the last 40 years.If defences are tighter (which absolutely no one will argue with) and the scoring averages are the same then it means forwards are better now than they were in the past, they have nowhere near the freedom to operate in yet still manage to get the scores.The truth is long range scores have always been hard to come by in football so there has been no decline in long range kicking either.Unlike 20 years ago when a player kicks the ball today 90% of the time he is deliberately kicking the ball to a specific team mate a lot of kicking in matches of the past was of the hit and hope variety.

Footballers are much more rounded players these days, and this can be seen by how many scores defenders contribute these days , I wouldn't have trusted too many corner backs to kick a score 15 years ago but today backs regularly pop up and get scores (Mayo are a prime example of this).

Nostalgia in the media is killing football there weren't anywhere near as many matches on TV prior to the turn of the millennium and the matches that were on TV featured in the main the best teams and it gave people an over inflated view of football we get to see more matches and thus more of the lower ranked teams these days if you got to see the lower ranked teams of 20 years ago the football wouldn't have been all that impressive.If you compared the AI semi finals and finals from the 80's and 90's with the same games from 2000 onwards I am pretty sure these games from 2000 onwards would compare favourably.

Standards in football have improved a lot in the last decade and will continue too improve. Defences are tighter than ever yet scoring averages are the same as they have been for the last 40 years.If defences are tighter (which absolutely no one will argue with) and the scoring averages are the same then it means forwards are better now than they were in the past, they have nowhere near the freedom to operate in yet still manage to get the scores.The truth is long range scores have always been hard to come by in football so there has been no decline in long range kicking either.Unlike 20 years ago when a player kicks the ball today 90% of the time he is deliberately kicking the ball to a specific team mate a lot of kicking in matches of the past was of the hit and hope variety.

Footballers are much more rounded players these days, and this can be seen by how many scores defenders contribute these days , I wouldn't have trusted too many corner backs to kick a score 15 years ago but today backs regularly pop up and get scores (Mayo are a prime example of this).

Nostalgia in the media is killing football there weren't anywhere near as many matches on TV prior to the turn of the millennium and the matches that were on TV featured in the main the best teams and it gave people an over inflated view of football we get to see more matches and thus more of the lower ranked teams these days if you got to see the lower ranked teams of 20 years ago the football wouldn't have been all that impressive.If you compared the AI semi finals and finals from the 80's and 90's with the same games from 2000 onwards I am pretty sure these games from 2000 onwards would compare favourably.

i always preferd football over hurling but i cant agree with you here , the game has become way too "stop" "start" to what it was up to 10 years ago .

yes the job of a defender is to get involved more in attack and vise versa which is a good thing how ever very few teams use it to there advantage,

i watched the monaghan county final today and it has to be said that sctotstown were a joy to watch right up to the end great finshing and a great mixture of short and long game, most teams nowadays are afraid to express themselves in this way at both club and county level which is somthing that did not happen in the past , which in my opinion is winning the arguement on this thread for hurling.

standerds need to rise to the level's of the past for the game to improve!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I would agree that footballers are more rounded and any player can take a score.

But I would disagree that standards have improved all that much. Certainly not in terms of how the game is played. The foot pass has all but disappeared. Games now are turning into ultra defensive bouts of handball. I agree with Pat Spillane when he says the modern game is about teams stopping other teams playing. Rather than two sets of players going out to win a game using positive tactics. There's no skill in putting 10 or 11 guys behind the ball and stopping the opposition from playing.

grenache wrote: »
    I would agree that footballers are more rounded and any player can take a score.

But I would disagree that standards have improved all that much. Certainly not in terms of how the game is played. The foot pass has all but disappeared. Games now are turning into ultra defensive bouts of handball. I agree with Pat Spillane when he says the modern game is about teams stopping other teams playing. Rather than two sets of players going out to win a game using positive tactics. There's no skill in putting 10 or 11 guys behind the ball and stopping the opposition from playing.

The style of play has changed an sometiumes it isnt great to watch but that is not the players or managers fault yet they continually take the blame for it.It is up to the adminstrators to adjust the rules to keep up with tactical innovation and improved fitness yet the adminstrators have faled in this task.However although I would agree tams played more attack minded prior to 2000 the quality of attacking wasnt as brilliant as some people would have you believe and alot of teams were quite bnaive in their approach at times.Skill levels have definetly improved but if people want teams to have a more attack minded approach then the rules should be changed all teams are concerned with (and should be concerned with) is winning the match.

Alot of the kicking in Gaelic fotball in the past wasnt really what I would consider footpassing the ball. A footpass in my opinion is a deliberate attempt to pick out a sepcific team mate not a kick in the general direction of a team mate which alot of footpasses of the past were, also if a team were to use the boot more often these days they would invariably conced a load of possession which isnt going to help them win the game.The rules should be changed in order to make footpassing more advantageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

iDave wrote: »
    I'm sure the people of Kerry are devastated to hear this news :rolleyes:

Except Kerry do play Hurling, as do almost all counties.

We all have out favorites, buut we should really be celebrating these two fantastic games, not doing the whole compare and contrast like we're doing the leaving cert.

• Advertisement

We all have out favorites, buut we should really be celebrating these two fantastic games, not doing the whole compare and contrast like we're doing the leaving cert.

agreed!!! i would be very intrested to hear what people from the non hurling counties actually think of the game of hurling its self , would they like to see the promation of the game within there club or would they reject it,

hurling counties like clare/limerick/waterford/tippeary all have a strong football scene, where's hurling just dose not seem to matter in the football counties bar the odd one or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Watching a game of Football right after game of football for me decides it like Club Finals etc.

Hurling wins by so much it aint funny.

You are 100% correct watching one game of it is bad enough but two games of it one after the other is like some kind of mid-evil torture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'll refer you to my original comment on this thread so.
    You know what, we get a lot of things wrong in Ireland. We fought off occupiers just to hand power to a theocracy. We blew the boom and butchered our economy. We allowed child abuse to go unreported and successively vote corrupt money grabbers into power. I could go on and on.
    BUT, we can proudly say we've invented the 2 best sports on Earth, Gaelic Football and Hurling. Take your pick which one you prefer, doesn't matter they're both brilliant.
    Ireland would be a poorer place without those sports.

Advertisement