Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you cycle during the Winter???

• 10-10-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Haven't been on here in a while as tore both my groins in June and only allowed back cycling this weekend. Was too depressing to look in here :(...

Have noticed a few cyclists in the gym recently hitting the spinning classes (overheard them saying its starting to get too cold/dark for cycling), and wondering if many of you go indoors for the Winter of continue on outside?

If you train indoors/outdoors what is your training regine during the Winter? Do you adapt your training e.g. more weights than cycling?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Tore both groins..what on earth..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Zyzz wrote: »
    Tore both groins..what on earth..

Yup, was doing mountain climb exercises (kind of like burpees), felt a pop in the right groin, kept going, then another in the left. Thought this ain't right and decided to do pilates the next day. Was the worst thing I could do.

Felt like being kicked in the family jewels for the first 4/5 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Cycle twice a day Monday to Friday, so in one word - yes, I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I cycled through the winter last year, very rarely did indoor training but it actually grew on me through the spring. Did it about once a week for the rest of this year. At the moment I do either one long cycle per week or one indoor session, and try to run at least once a week. Will be joining a spin class from next week I think, have never done one before.

Not really a racer, just into sportives, touring and the very occasional TT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cycled twice a month at most last winter. My trouble is the cold really hurts my lungs and I find it takes me forever to warm up no matter what I try. Will do a bit of spinning this year in the gym and try and get out at weekends - weather dependent -I refuse to go out if it's raining, I don't mind being out and getting caught in a shower but see no enjoyment in going out and getting wet from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I cycled every day last year except when the roads were frozen or I had mechanicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I cycle away thru the winter. Rain or shine. Only thing that stops me is ice. Don't fancy coming off over ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Yep..same here I cycle 3 times maybe 4 per week,,again only ice will stop me as it does not matter how good your bike skills are over ice, I've seen too many broken bones because of bad frost or ice although on these days you could always go off road on mtb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Yep..same here I cycle 3 times maybe 4 per week,,again only ice will stop me as it does not matter how good your bike skills are over ice, I've seen too many broken bones because of bad frost or ice although on these days you could always go off road on mtb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Last year yes crash broken pelvis :(
    ICE
    This year turbo
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Saturday's only for me as there isn't enough daylight by the time I get home during the week, play football on Sunday's so they're out.

Doing 2-3 spinning classes a week as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

I used to cycle before work in the mornings. I mapped out a street lamp lit route (20Kms). I began running, though, when the ice came, and found that the running helped my average speed more than the 20km cycle. So haven't done the early morning cycle for awhile. Five am cycles, too, mean that you have to get up at 4 am (if you're going to have a coffee before you go). When I run, I'm up at 5 and run from 6-7 am, stretching and strengthening core muscles from 5:30-6. Ice is the big decider for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

ulinbac wrote: »
    Yup, was doing mountain climb exercises (kind of like burpees), felt a pop in the right groin, kept going, then another in the left. Thought this ain't right and decided to do pilates the next day. Was the worst thing I could do.

Felt like being kicked in the family jewels for the first 4/5 weeks!

So wats the lesson learned??
    Listen to your frigging body and stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Like a previous poster I broke my pelvis in 3 places last year when I crashed off the bike from ice. Won't risk cycling again when there is any sign of it on the road but apart from tha I will keep it up over the winter. Nothing like the cold crisp winter air when out on a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Asking if I cycle during the winter is a bit like asking if I eat during the winter!

(Heavy frost/ice is the only thing that would stop me.)
    godtabh wrote: »
    I cycled every day last year except when the roads were frozen or I had mechanicals
    For mechanicals - get a second bike and rotate them - very handy if one is off the road for a while. ;)

jackstaff wrote: »
    So wats the lesson learned??
    Listen to your frigging body and stop

Yes Mammy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Out with the club Sun mornings if the weather's OK. Turbo trainer 1-3 times during the week. In theory anyway. I'm only cycling a year.
    ulinbac wrote: »
    felt a pop in the right groin, kept going, then another in the left.

By the way OP, what actually popped? A ligament or something? Please tell me it wasn't your actual jewels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The Irish winter isn't so wintry. I continue to cycle unless there's ice (what do you think I am, mad?) or very icy air (asthma).
    People in Ireland who don't go out have a very unrealistic view of the weather. I used to have an American friend (now returned home) who shuddered at the idea of going for a walk, convinced that the weather here was constantly rainy. Yet in the mornings it's nearly always mild and sunny, year-round, in Ireland; even when it rains later, it's almost always what those Donegal people call "Cith is dealláain" - showers and sunny intervals.

outfox wrote: »
    Out with the club Sun mornings if the weather's OK. Turbo trainer 1-3 times during the week. In theory anyway. I'm only cycling a year.

By the way OP, what actually popped? A ligament or something? Please tell me it wasn't your actual jewels.

It was a popping sensation to the right, then left where your leg turns in towards the boys.. Doctor thought it was a hernia at the start but luckily it wasnt. The muscles around there became inflammed which causes the pain in the tube to the boys making them very tender.

The pain was so bad one day I was sitting in the kitchen with a bag of frozen veg covering them, then onee of the lads came in from work and just said "hope this isnt your veg?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cycle every weekday, whatever conditions.

The alternative (proletarian transport) is too horrific to contemplate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

The winter? With all the recovery and racing during the summer I spend far longer time on the bike in the winter than at any other time of the year I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

This will by my first proper winter with a roadbike. Commuted through last winter...did get pneumonia the year before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

of course. winter is best, it's when we occasionally get snow and ice for my ice tyres ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭furiousox

Wish I could commute to work.
    Sadly have to drive nearly 1000km per week.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Lumen wrote: »

Lucky barsteward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I work a 5 on 5 off shift in Switzerland and commute all year round over there, even in the snow and ice. I ride all year round at home too although I did buy rollers last year and used them a fair bit. I found they helped with the riding on ice I had to do in Zurich!!
    I might get a MTB and ice tyres for this winter though, as the road bike was tough going sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Same as I cycle in the summer tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Same as I cycle in the summer tbh

Pfft do you even have a real winter? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Love cycling in the winter. Once you get set up with some decent clothing to keep you warm you're good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

More turbo during the week in the winter, with fewer evening spins. Weekend spins tend to me more 2-4 hour than 4-8 hour, though I love cold crisp days on the bike. Sometimes squeeze in a lunch time spin up to Johnny Foxes.

tbh, if I've done nothing but turbo for a while, an outdoor spin even in the pissings of rain, wind and hail is pretty exhilarating. No ice for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Lumen wrote: »

The alternative (proletarian transport) is too horrific to contemplate.

Same here. Wouldn't step on a bus if possible!
    Bus fares, €5 / day, €25 / week and say a 40 week year taking holidays out, €1k.
    Justifies to 'er indoors the sense it makes to build up the fleet, especially if you can hand down a few bikes to the kids. YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Good gear and decent lights make for year round cycling.

The only time I won't is if it's really, really icy.

I don't have the option of a turbo this year as I managed to stir the wife's interest in cycling to the point where she progressed from a hybrid to a road bike that, having been cycled all summer, is now on MY turbo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

i only started cycling this time last year
    once i read up on what proper clothing to wear i enjoyed cycling in winter

the first couple of weeks thou after getting wet and cold when out, i was nearly ready to give up
    the missus wouldnt of been happy thou after id splashed out on a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I get rounder and rounder through the winter as I put on more and more layers. Only time I won't commute is ice or very heavy wind (the weather not me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Newbie commuter question - How will I know if it's too icy? It can't be that often on say the Rock and Merrion roads can it? Or am I kidding myself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Newbie commuter question - How will I know if it's too icy? It can't be that often on say the Rock and Merrion roads can it? Or am I kidding myself?

In my experience, the main roads tend to be fine and very rarely are they in a condition that would give you cause for concern.

The minor roads are the problem. Aside from that it's a confidence thing - as the days get frostier you'll get a sense of when you'd rather not cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Been through four winters since getting back on the bike in 2009 - so heading into my 5th consecutive winter on the bike. I commute and do weekend spins. Have kept it up through thick and thin. I would say in the last 4 winters I've missed perhaps less than 10 days commuting due to really bad ice. During the heavy snow I reverted to the MTB, which I have since sold.

Over the years I've accumulated decent gear that will tackle just about anything the winter will throw at me. Once I'm wrapped up well I don't mind the cold. Have recently bought a windstopper winter jersey, so expecting good things from this when married with a decent merino base layer. It's my feet that suffer the most. On really cold days, I'll have my trusty wool hiking socks on over merino socks and overshoes on top of this. Keeps me nice and toasty even in minus temperatures.

It's icy roads that make me nervous. My commute takes me down the Strawberry Beds, which is a cold sink at the best of times. I've had a few scares last year and felt and eejit where I was past the point of no return - this year I'll revert to the car if in doubt. Better safe than sorry....

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

I cycle through the winter commuting and then short spins at the weekend when I can. Once its not icy its not a problem, I shower in work so the wet days aren't a problem.
    Not sure about anyone else but I prefer cycling when the weather is crap, the commute in might be a couple of minutes longer but the alternative is driving and I go mad sitting in traffic when I could be whizzing past it.

Heavy ice and snow stopped me from cycling last year but after spending 2 hrs trying to get to work on a snowy day last year I reckon this year I will just brave it (I mostly use main roads coming into Dublin from Swords so they are normally gritted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

THere's also usually an ice report thread on here, which I checked every morning religiously, even sometimes waking up for a few minutes an hour or two before I had to get up to post a query for the really early risers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Hard to call until the morning in a lot of cases - was down around 2 degrees out near me yesterday setting out - could just as easily have frozen, and the next couple of weeks will see our first freeze.

I'm only on the bike a few months, but I'm going to try twice a week through the winter (35k each way) and a spin at the weekend. I can deal with cold, less impervious to rain, and the dark and being on back roads for my last 10k is starting to make things a bit ropey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

First started cycling to and from college last winter and haven't really stopped since, even if the weather's crap. Usually do a few hour spin on the weekend as well. I was able to get a hi-viz, a pair of decent lights, gloves and waterproof gear on the weekend which have helped hugely. It can be tiring but for me it's offset by being able to get up later, being able to fly through traffic, not having to wait around for buses, not having to pay ridiculous bus fares, and keeping fitness up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Layers, windstopper jersey, silk glove liners, merino wool socks and overshoes.

I have studded ice tyres ready in the shed so we're guaranteed an ice-free winter this year...
    I get rounder and rounder through the winter as I put on more and more layers. Only time I won't commute is ice or very heavy wind (the weather not me)

Internally or externally?... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've decided I'm just not cycling in the rain any more. Just not worth it, I'll get the bloody bus on a day where I'm likely to be trapped in work, looking out the window wondering if it'll stop. Especially when it is cold. It is hard to describe to someone that has walked in the rain how much more unpleasant cycling in the rain is. Utter misery for me.

And ice, obviously. I'm perfectly happy cycling no matter how cold it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Took a long lay off last winter and paid the price, weight gain, sluggishness and all that comes with that. This year thanks to a wonderful summer I got back on the bike with the intention of cycling 4 days a week taking a breather on Wednesdays. All was going fine and felt good to be back in the air when the car developed a problem rendering it unusable thereby forcing me to go 5 days a week. Well, in the beginning, I doubted myself, as the Wednesday off made Thursday and Friday so much easier, but necessity meant it was every day regardless. I'm thankful to say I'm doing great, loving the bike and fully intending to keep going throughout the Winter. Another plus will be a huge saving in fuel costs, toll charges and the best part? down a stone and a half or as I like to say 21lbs!
    Keep the faith!

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

once Jack Frost keeps away bike will be used. Either that or walk into\home from work 9km ish each way

Cannot handle the excuse for transport in the City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have been commuting along those roads for years and its very rare to get ice there close to the sea. Heavy frost maybe. I find if you are lucky enough to have a run around bike with thicker tyres then take this on the days you are uncomfortable on the road bike assuming you are on narrow tyres.

Zillah wrote: »
    I've decided I'm just not cycling in the rain any more. Just not worth it, I'll get the bloody bus on a day where I'm likely to be trapped in work, looking out the window wondering if it'll stop. Especially when it is cold. It is hard to describe to someone that has walked in the rain how much more unpleasant cycling in the rain is. Utter misery for me.

And ice, obviously. I'm perfectly happy cycling no matter how cold it is.

+1. Is there any activity more horrible in the rain than cycling? And is there any activity more fun in the sun, or cold crispy weather, than cycling. Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Rain? I don't mind after 5min of cycling.

If it bothers you, pedal harder, you'll warm up. (this way I got one of my KOMs ;-) )

Or to put in simple terms, rule #5.

I guess I'll always be a wuss when it comes to rain.
    Don't mind hiking in it, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

outfox wrote: »
    I guess I'll always be a wuss when it comes to rain.
    Don't mind hiking in it, though.

That's 'cos you're dressed for it. Dress properly for rain on the bike and you won't mind that either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement