Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you cycle during the Winter???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Newbie commuter question - How will I know if it's too icy? It can't be that often on say the Rock and Merrion roads can it? Or am I kidding myself?

I find the easiest way to know is that at one moment you'll be tootling along merrily, when all of a sudden you're sliding across the road. That's when it's too icy, and you think "feckit, should have put the winter tyres on after all".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    How will I know if it's too icy?
    When you're sliding across the road on your arse and elbow!

City roads are generally relatively safer especially when busy. Quiet rural roads are a different story especially when black ice lingers in sheltered spots. It can be difficult to detect until that horrible sensation when tyre noise completely disappears for a few seconds and you have no choice but hope to get through it by avoiding braking, steering etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Pfft do you even have a real winter? :p

:pac:
    winter here is better than summer in Ireland for the most part.
    The winds in winter are the biggest problem, from July/Aug to Nov they tend to be very high and make it impossible to be out on the bike.
    Today is such a day, so I'm spending it on the couch instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Have never really changed my cycling routine winter to summer. If it snows hard or is properly icy I'll take the mountain bike. For the first half of this winter I'm stuck with just a road bike and am in an Eastern European country with a proper winter so don't know how that will turn out. Won't be using the bus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

other than a mortal fear of ice since a nasty accident once upon a time the rain and cold doesn't bother me, its more so having dry clothes to change into at work thats the problem a lot of the time... training wise i don't exactly love heading out in the rain but i would just to get a spin in and see how it goes... a lot of the time rain looks worse than it actually is... and if it rains during a spin i ts just get on with it, actually some of my most memorable spins have been on wet days... wicklow 200 2011 or a wicklow and sally gap 100km in 0% visibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

^ Same. After the Wicklow 200 in 2011 the rain never bothered me much, I often find myself enjoying it. Like Monkeyslayer, I've had some memorable rides in bad weather. Like a return ride to Tramore last Christmas during a storm and getting the occasional beep of solidarity from a motorist ( at least I think it was )

On one occasion had to stop for a puncture, cooling down quickly. It was uncomfortable getting so cold and trying to warm up. I got home saying never again, but you forget about that after a few days.

Advertisement