Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non resident landlord

Options
  • 10-10-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I
    - Live in another EU country
    - Work for an Irish company (company A) and pay PAYE and PRSI and have PAYE allowances
    - I receive a director's salary for Irish company B
    - Own a house in Ireland

Untill now I have been happily letting my property and making personal tax returns with no problems, including paying tax in respect of my PRTB registered rental property (previously my home). A new tennant is moving in and I want the estate agent to manage the letting. They are now looking for Certified copies of our passports (joint owner with my wife) and copies of utility bills to prove our address (I think they have an Irish address on file).

How am I supposed to get a certified copy of my passport while living abroad? What are the implications of giving an EU address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Who is "they"? Revenue or the letting agent? I'm guessing letting agent. A certified copy of your passport can be obtained from a notary public usually but certainly by your nearest Irish embassy/consulate.

In either case you should give your real foreign address to whomever needs it. The letting agent is covering himself from a money laundering etc. perspective and it sounds reasonable that he wants to know who he is collecting the rent for.

It sounds like your previous tenant was paying you directly. This would have been contrary to the law however as you were non-resident and in the absence of a collection agent the tenant should deduct 20% of gross rent, forward same to Revenue and furnish you with an R185 form at year end. This is what your agent should now do if he's collecting the rent for you.

On a side note, are you on a secondment to the other EU state or permanently living there? If the latter, you might be falling foul of that country's tax laws as usually if you are resident in state A then you pay your income taxes in state A, not in the state where the employer is located. This is the case even for cross border workers (lots of folks for example work in Basle but live in Germany and they pay German income taxes on their Swiss wages),

I'm sure you're fine but just bear it in mind so as not to leave yourself open to a claim from the tax authorities where you are.

Advertisement