Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of living increased by what since 2007?

• 10-10-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Wife has her review next week & mentioned to me that she hasn't had a raise since 2007.

Obviously the cost of living has increased by then , so effectively she's had a pay cut every year by the same amount..

Does anyone know that it's been?

Also, I heard once that legally your salary has to rise by the same percentage as the cost of living, it's possibly just public sector though, any truth to that or did I dream it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

CSO produce detailed inflation results. But there was a lot of deflation for most of 2008/2009 and since then inflation hasn't really been more than 1-1.5%. I say costs are maybe 2% higher than 2007.

Your wife is probably better looking at how much she has lost due to all the tax increases like USC and reduction in tax credits. They would have had a far greater impact on her income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

OU812 wrote: »
    Wife has her review next week & mentioned to me that she hasn't had a raise since 2007.

Obviously the cost of living has increased by then , so effectively she's had a pay cut every year by the same amount..

Does anyone know that it's been?

There are two things you can look at CPI & the "value of the euro".

In 2007 CPI ranged from 99.9 in Jaunary (they rebased the figures in Dec 2006) to 104.7 in December. It's currently 106.2.

The value of the euro" is the purchasing power required to buy a certain basket of items (as defined in the 40s).

In 2007 it was 45.48, in 2012 it was 46.72.
    Also, I heard once that legally your salary has to rise by the same percentage as the cost of living, it's possibly just public sector though, any truth to that or did I dream it?

Legally I doubt it, but that was a cornerstone of the social partnership process and it was applied by many companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Cheers folks. She's scheduled for early next week & is looking for a 7.5% increase (would be happy with 5%) with a re-instatement of one of the benefits that was withdrawn a number of years ago as new people to the company have got this automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Update to this thread. She had her review, all went well, Very happy with things, watch out for etc...

€5k raise and life insurance paid for.

More than happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Update to this thread. She had her review, all went well, Very happy with things, watch out for etc...

€5k raise and life insurance paid for.

More than happy.

Be quiet, there's people around here that would have you believe the entire private sector is on its knees!

Best of luck to your other half btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

kceire wrote: »
    Be quiet, there's people around here that would have you believe the entire private sector is on its knees!

Best of luck to your other half btw

Ah for feck sake, can't we have a thread that doesn't go down this path.

sarumite wrote: »
    Ah for feck sake, can't we have a thread that doesn't go down this path.

Same could be said for every other thread. It happens. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

kceire wrote: »
    Same could be said for every other thread. It happens. Move on.

That was my point.

sarumite wrote: »
    That was my point.

so it's ok to derail a thread if it was a spiteful public service comment?

• Advertisement

That's great OP, I think the thread is derailed a bit now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement