Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a stronger me

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

chriity139 wrote: »
    Heres how my smolov jr cycle will look after my taper week

ScreenShot2013-12-15at223850_zps05e7bef2.png

Saturdays of each week should be very interesting. I'm really going to have to ram in the food so my body recovers for the next session.

You'll smoke that. Would you consider a 5kg increment?

To be honest, you'd smoke that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

I was thinking of going for a 5kg increment but since this is my first smolov I decided 2.5kg. But I will see how I find the first week. If I find it easy enough I'll go up by 5kg.

First 3 days should be fine but the saturday's are what put me off going up in 5kg increments. I think 10x3 @ 120kg will be hard

Fair enough. I think you'll be surprised at how you get through the first Saturday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Is it recommended to deadlift during the jr cycle? I know they say not too for the daddy:pac:

Is it recommended to deadlift during the jr cycle? I know they say not too for the daddy:pac:

You're better off avoiding other leg work. They'll be worked hard enough 4 times a week without adding more to it.

• Advertisement

You're better off avoiding other leg work. They'll be worked hard enough 4 times a week without adding more to it.

I was thinking much tbh. It'll probably go up as a result.

Week 12 Day 1 Chest

Bw 83.7kg

I am taking this week as a tapper week to get my body ready for smolov next week.

Flat bench
    1x20 @ 20kg
    1x12 @ 60kg
    1x10 @ 80kg
    1x12 @ 60kg
    1x10 @ 80kg
    1x12 @ 60kg
    1x10 @ 80kg
    1x12 @ 60kg
    1x8 @ 80kg
    1x12 @ 60kg
    1x8 @ 80kg

Incline bench
    1x20 @ 40kg
    5x12 @ 50kg

Seated pec dec
    3x20 @ 90kg
    3x20 @ 70kg

Flat Db wide press
    1x12 @ 17.5kg
    1x12 @ 25kg
    3x10 @ 30kg

Flat Db close press
    5x5 @ 35kg

Machine chest press
    5x10 @ 100kg

Seated pec dec
    3x20 @ 90kg

Haven't felt a pump like that in a long time. All this was done in about 65mins. The short rest periods made this quiet intense.

Week 12 Day 2 of tapper week Back+Biceps

Bw 84kg

Foam rolled

Latt pull down
    1x12 @ 45kg
    1x10 @ 54kg
    3x10 @ 63kg
    1x10 @ 54kg
    1x12 @ 45kg

Narrow grip pulley row
    1x12 @ 55kg
    1x12 @ 64kg
    1x10 @ 73kg
    1x10 @ 82kg

Medium Grip Pulley row
    1x12 @ 55kg
    1x12 @ 64kg
    1x12 @ 73kg
    1x10 @ 82kg

Wide Grip Pulley row
    1x12 @ 55kg
    1x12 @ 64kg
    1x10 @ 73kg
    1x10 @ 82kg

Split rope latt pull
    5x15 @ 20kg

Close Grip Latt Pulldown
    1x12 @ 48kg
    3x10 @ 55kg

DB Row
    5x8 @ 30kg

Hammer curl
    Descending pyramid from 17.5kg-12.5kg until failure x4

Barbell curl+Db bicep curl
    Barbell 30kg + Db 12.5kg until failure.

Chest is still very sore from last nights high rep session. Feels good to get chest doms again. Can already feel I will have back doms tomorrow. Bring on high rep legs tomorrow.

Supplements parcel arrived today for me. Always excited about opening it even though I know what I have ordered haha.

I got these supplements to help me recover from my smolov cycle. I have also being trying out pre workouts recently to see can I actually find one that works on me. So far I have tried original crazed, grenade and on pre work out. None of these had any effect on me what so ever. No beta-alanine tingles, no energy, focus or pump. I am not a caffeine drinker so I don't know where this tolerance has come from.

Instead of ordering the full containers I got 10 serving containers to see how I react with the product.

1. Muscle pharm assault
    2. Infinite Lab Juggernaut HP

With my order I told them about trying to find a pre work out so they sent me out samples of

1. Jack3d advanced
    2. BSN NO-Xplode

I also bought creatine monohydrate. My body reacts really well to this so in my eyes its one of the only supplements that actually works.

Heres a picture of what I got
    20131218_163620_zpsc6f6ace0.jpg

Tonight I will be doing Legs and I will try my sample of Jack3d advanced to see how I get on.

If you're starting out on the Smolov Jr you won't be dying after the squats. It's challenging but you won't be going to failure on any of the days. Save the recovery stuff for when you'll actually need it.

• Advertisement

If you're starting out on the Smolov Jr you won't be dying after the squats. It's challenging but you won't be going to failure on any of the days. Save the recovery stuff for when you'll actually need it.

Its not the squats Im worried about its the chest, back, shoulders workouts on the same days as smolov. I won't be doing strength training on the other body parts except chest, will be more hypertrophy. Just playing it safe :D

Week 12 Day 3 Legs

Bw 83.9kg

Foam rolled and stretched.

Single leg press
    5x12 @ 70kg

Was training with my cousin so didn't feel like stripping weights every time it was my set.

Walking Barbell lunges
    5x24 @ 35kg

Squats
    3x10 @ 20kg 10 seconds pause
    1x10 @ 60kg
    1x5 @ 100kg
    1x5 @ 110kg
    2x5 @ 120kg

Double leg curls
    7x12 @ 55kg

Leg extensions
    1x12 @ 90kg
    1x12 @ 120kg
    1x12 @ 150kg
    1x12 @ 170kg
    1x10 @ 190kg
    1x8 @ 210kg
    1x6 @ 220kg
    1x4 @ 230kg
    1x2 @ 250kg
    Dropset from 250kg-30kg until failure each weight with no rest.

More foam rolling and stretching.

Jack3d Advanced Verdict
    Was expecting great things going from the reputation of this product.

Mixability
    Excellent mixability, no lumps or anything

Taste
    Fruit punch was the flavour I received. Really nice taste

Energy
    Ended up going with the full sachet which is the same as 2 scoops. Didn't feel like I had anymore energy than usual.

Focus
    No difference

Pump
    No difference

Strength
    No difference.

After noticing no difference from taking 2 servings of Jack3d advanced I have come to the conclusion that I have an extremely high tolerance for stimulants.

Next pre work out I am going to try is No-explode by bsn on Friday. See how that goes.

It's amazing how your squats progressed from PR'ing at 120kg to doing 2 x 5. Fair play man.

Try SAW anabolic pre workout if you can, it blew my mind. Or even caffeine tabs/ BA powder.

It's amazing how your squats progressed from PR'ing at 120kg to doing 2 x 5. Fair play man.

Try SAW anabolic pre workout if you can, it blew my mind. Or even caffeine tabs/ BA powder.

I know its crazy man didnt think it would increase that much in such a short time. Had to lay off it as its my tapper week :D could have done 5x5 no problem.

Iv tried caffeine tablets with 400mg each tablet before, still no effect. I will try it if I can get a sample. Dont really want to be handing over 40 quid for a nice tasting drink that has no effects on me.

Few of the lads at the gym couldnt get over that Jack3d had no effect on me as the same product made a huge difference to them

Chriity...bite the bullet and rerun the Smolov Jr numbers with a 5kg increment. Then do those numbers. The Saturday workouts will be fine!

Chriity...bite the bullet and rerun the Smolov Jr numbers with a 5kg increment. Then do those numbers. The Saturday workouts will be fine!

Done :D will get the new table up when im at home

Done :D will get the new table up when im at home

Good man. It won't make it much more difficult but you might as well go for it...you'll probably get that little bit more out of it.

I know its crazy man didnt think it would increase that much in such a short time. Had to lay off it as its my tapper week :D could have done 5x5 no problem.

Iv tried caffeine tablets with 400mg each tablet before, still no effect. I will try it if I can get a sample. Dont really want to be handing over 40 quid for a nice tasting drink that has no effects on me.

Few of the lads at the gym couldnt get over that Jack3d had no effect on me as the same product made a huge difference to them

If you go into one of the Vitamin-Shops I'd say they'll more then gladly give you a sample. It blew my mind and sleep:pac:

I'd agree with Alf on the programming too, go for it dude!

Im so glad im the type of person that caffeine kinda puts me asleep haha. No idea why but its a good thing as I usually train until 10.30pm. If I was caffeine sensitive there would be no sleeping for me :)

I'll try that next time I'm in town. Never looked into saw pre workout I'll have a nose now.

My body decided that 5kg increments is the way to go after I found 2x5 @ 120kg handy. Fook it only live once :)

And whatever you do, don't go adding more weight than you're programmed to if you're finding it relatively easy. The point isn't to go to failure. It's controlled overtraining that doesn't overly fatigue muscles and you get to benefit from supercompensation.

• Advertisement

Week 12 Day Explosive Bench

Wide grip bench
    1x20 @ 20kg
    1x3 @ 60kg
    10x3 @ 70kg

Narrow grip bench
    10x3 @ 70kg

70kg on the wide grip still seems a bit too light, might try 75kg next week. As for the narrow grip 70kg is way way too light, no effort was required to move it. Think i'll try 80kg on that next time.

And whatever you do, don't go adding more weight than you're programmed to if you're finding it relatively easy. The point isn't to go to failure. It's controlled overtraining that doesn't overly fatigue muscles and you get to benefit from supercompensation.

Think thats going to be the hardest part of this program for me. Sticking to the weight even if its too easy. I will be patient with this cycle though.

Think thats going to be the hardest part of this program for me. Sticking to the weight even if its too easy. I will be patient with this cycle though.

Trust the program and follow it to a T or you'll defeat the purpose.

I will im going to stick to it fully. Do you do any assistance leg work with the smolov or just the squats.

I will im going to stick to it fully. Do you do any assistance leg work with the smolov or just the squats.
    Just did upper body stuff really. depending on how much time I had.

Week 12 Day 4 Shoulders

Bw 85kg

Db shoulder press
    1x12 @ 15kg
    1x12 @ 20kg
    1x12 @ 22.5kg
    1x10 @ 27.5kg
    5x8 @ 30kg (pr)

Shoulder press machine
    3x12 @ plate 10

Gailleo rear delt pull
    5x10 @ plate 10

Rear delt cable pull
    3x12 @ 27.5kg

Rear delt fly
    5x12 @ 15kg

Lateral Db raise
    5x10 @ 7.5kg

Upright Bb row
    5x8 @ 40kg

Forward Db raise
    5x10 @ 5kg

Rear delt Db raise
    5x10 @ 5kg

Bb shrugs
    5 x failure @ 60kg

BSN NO-Xplode
    After trying Jack3d advance on leg night and feeling nothing I was a bit scepticle about the whole pre work out supplements that they don't actually work and its all in your head. That type of thinking ended last night.

The sachet of No-Xplode contains 1 scoop as opposed to Jack3d 2 scoops.

Mixability
    Excellent mixability, no lumps or anything

Taste
    Fruit punch was the flavour I received. Not the best tasting.

Energy
    Didn't get a sudden burst of energy but a nice smooth never ending supply of energy.

Focus
    Very focused

Pump
    Ridiculous pump in my arms

Strength
    Increased a good bit. Last week maxed out at 5x5 @ 30kg shoulder press but this week I got 5x8

Overall
    8.5/10 Was fairly hard on the stomach and taste wasn't great but everything else about this product I loved.

My new smolov jr cycle starting monday. I decided with a slight push of 2 members on here :P to go a 5kg increment per week

ScreenShot2013-12-20at142830_zps5a719f26.png

Why am I excited about starting this. I think I am looking forward to this more than I am christmas. What is wrong with me haha

Was fairly hard on the stomach
    Your next workout will be cleaning the jacks! Free PR at least.

Week 12 Day 5 Arms

Bw 83.4kg

Lots of elbow extension and flexion.

Thats the last day of my strength cycle. I have been on it for the past 12 weeks. Figures before my strength cycle were as follows

Bench 105-110kg
    Squat 85kg
    Deadlift 160kg

After the 12 week cycle

Bench 120kg
    Squat 142.5kg
    Deadlift 190kg

Bodyweight went from 80-81kg to 83-85kg.

Next time I will be training will be my smolov cycle :)

• Advertisement

Smolov Jr week 1 day 1

Bw 83.3kg

Foam rolled and stretched

squat
    2x10 @ 60kg
    6x6 @ 100kg (working set)
    1x5 @ 60kg

Completed it in 25mins. My legs are in bits. Under estimated how hard the first day of smolov would be. Wont make that mistake again :)

Foam rolled and stretched again

Chest

Bench
    1x20 @ 20kg
    2x12 @ 60kg
    3x5 @ 100kg
    1x3 @ 105kg
    1x3 @ 110kg (pr)
    1x5 @ 100kg

Decline bench
    1x10 @ 60kg
    5x5 @ 100kg (pr)
    1x5 @ 90kg

Incline bench
    5x20 @ 60kg

Pec dec + chest press machine
    20 x 90kg on pec and 10 x plate 10 on chest press (5 times)

Bench (no rest)
    failure @ 60kg
    failure @ 50kg
    Failure @ 40kg
    Failure @ 30kg
    Failure @ 40kg
    Failure @ 50kg
    Failure @ 60kg

After only 2 days working on explosive bench on a separate day during the week my bench has drastically improved. Couldn't get over how easy 2x3 @ 110kg flat bench came up and 5x5 @ 100kg decline. Will definitely keep at the explosive bench

Advertisement