Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a stronger me

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Shoulders

Gailleo Rear Delt pull
    5x12 @ plate 10

Rear delt row
    5x12 @ 20kg

Seated lateral raise
    1x25 @ 7.5kg+1x25 @ 5kg x2
    3x12 @ 7.5kg

Seated shoulder press machine
    5x10 @ 11th plate

Shoulder press on smith machine
    1x12 @ 20kg
    1x12 @ 30kg
    1x12 @ 40kg
    1x12 @ 50kg

Db shrugs + Bb upright row
    1x30 @ 30kg + 1x8 @ 40kg x5

Smolov Jr Week 1 Day 2

Squat
    1x20 @ 20kg
    1x3 @ 60kg
    1x3 @ 80kg
    7x5 @ 105kg (working set)

Chest and Back

Bw 84kg

Explosive bench
    10x3 @ 70kg (wide grip)
    10x3 @ 70kg (close grip)

Pulley row
    20x4 @ 45kg (Narrow grip)
    20x4 @ 45kg (medium grip)
    20x4 @ 45kg (wide grip)

Decline Bench
    4x10 @ 70kg

Latt pull down + latt rope pull
    5x12 @ 45kg (lpd) + 5x15 @ 15kg (lrp)

Incline bench
    4x20 @ 50kg

Underhand latt pulldown
    5x12 @ 45kg

Smolov Jr Week 1 Day 3

Foam rolled and stretched

Squat
    1x20 @ 20kg
    1x3 @ 60kg
    1x3 @ 80kg
    1x3 @ 90kg
    8x4 @ 115kg (working set)

Found todays working set to be very very draining on my body as I didn't fuel myself sufficiently throughout the day. Legs were still tired from my last Smolov Jr day but I pushed through it. Tomorrow should be fun 10x3 @ 120kg. Today I finished my working set in under 30mins. Tomorrow I think I will use more time to complete it. Don't want my system to be fried first week of the cycle.

Arms

Tricep exercises
    Straight bar pushdown 5x20
    Reverse Curls 5x20
    Db tricep kickbacks 4x12
    Duel rope pulldown 3x15

Bicep exercises
    Db hammercurl 5 x failure
    Seated Db bicep curl 5 x failure
    Standing Bb bicep curl 5 x failure

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In posting the time for working sets, it almost seems like you're trying to do them at speed. Take as much time as you need between sets rather than cut it short for the sake of doing them in under 25 mins or so

• Advertisement

Might have to stop doing the smolov jr cycle. Getting a bad pain in my knee today walking around :( Never experienced this before, might be all the volume thats causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

chriity139 wrote: »
    Might have to stop doing the smolov jr cycle. Getting a bad pain in my knee today walking around :( Never experienced this before, might be all the volume thats causing it.

Plenty of rest on it till your due to squat next. I'd see how it feels warming up then.

Awful balls if you've to stop.

Plenty of rest on it till your due to squat next. I'd see how it feels warming up then.

Awful balls if you've to stop.

Tell me about it man. My next day is today

Tell me about it man. My next day is today

Oh crap. Are you not taking a day between squatting? Not talking about the injury here but just a question.

Oh crap. Are you not taking a day between squatting? Not talking about the injury here but just a question.
    The cycle goes Monday-Wednesday-Friday-Saturday.

• Advertisement

The cycle goes Monday-Wednesday-Friday-Saturday.

Tbh, I think I'd listen to my body first. Although I was unaware of that.

Tested my knee tonight with really light squatting and other leg work. Still had the pain in my knee **** it. I am going to call an end to this cycle as I am not risking an injury.

Back to hypertrophy/strength training for me so. Going to see how my knee holds up on my wednesday leg session. If its still sore I will avoid legs for a week or 2.

Tbh, I think I'd listen to my body first. Although I was unaware of that.

Golden rule, innit: listen to your body. But I'll venture that it's not the volume of squatting that's caused the injury.

Back and legs

10 mins on the stepper

Latt pulldown + single hamstring curl
    Pulldown 5x12 @ 90kg
    Single Hamstring 5x12 @ 28kg

Stiff leg deadlift + Bb row
    Stiff leg 5x12 @ 60kg
    Bb row 5x12 @ 60kg

Duel rope lat pull + leg extension
    Rope pull 5x12 @ 20kg
    Leg extension 5x12 @ 90kg

Double leg hamstring curl + trapbar deadlift
    Double ham 5x12 @ 48kg
    Deadlift 5x12 @ 70kg

Leg press
    1x50 @ 100kg
    1x40 @ 100kg
    1x30 @ 100kg
    1x20 @ 120kg
    1x10 @ 140kg

Golden rule, innit: listen to your body. But I'll venture that it's not the volume of squatting that's caused the injury.

You think it could be form ?

Iv been squatting ages and never had any pain but since I increased the volume the pain appears

Iv been squatting ages and never had any pain but since I increased the volume the pain appears

It's possible. It can happen that fatigue causes form to break down. If you were trying to speed through the sets then you were fatigued and you'd even noticed the tiredness the other day. So it's possible that fatigue affected form. Not saying that's the cause but the volume shouldn't be an issue for you, I'd have said.

Hopefully thats all it is. I didn't feel like I rushed through my sets. I thought I got enough rest between sets on the day as the weight wasn't too heavy for me. Clearly my body is telling me different.

I don't think I would have done any leg work at all if you're in pain. It's not worth the risk to potentially put yourself back months.

You train really frequently. Before starting something like that, you should have taken the time to let yourself recover. Another thing, don't kill yourself with leg pressing etc.. after smolov, you're just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I finished Smolov Jnr about 8 weeks ago and got a 20KG PR from it.
    I didnt stick religiously to the Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday template for the last two weeks,because i was literally too beat up from Friday's 8x4 to try 10 trebles on the Saturday. I just done the 10 trebles on the Sunday,then started the next weeks 6x6 on the Tuesday of the next week. Sometimes you just need that day in between.

I don't think I would have done any leg work at all if you're in pain. It's not worth the risk to potentially put yourself back months.

You train really frequently. Before starting something like that, you should have taken the time to let yourself recover. Another thing, don't kill yourself with leg pressing etc.. after smolov, you're just asking for trouble.

I was just testing it last night on light weight to see how my knee held up. Was ok but felt it slightly even on an empty bar squat. I didn't attempt my smolov day yesterday.

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    I finished Smolov Jnr about 8 weeks ago and got a 20KG PR from it.
    I didnt stick religiously to the Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday template for the last two weeks,because i was literally too beat up from Friday's 8x4 to try 10 trebles on the Saturday. I just done the 10 trebles on the Sunday,then started the next weeks 6x6 on the Tuesday of the next week. Sometimes you just need that day in between.

Were you only training 3 days a week in the cycle then ? Seriously pissed off but if my body needs rest to prevent injury thats what I will give it. Thats a great increase on your pr for the cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Were you only training 3 days a week in the cycle then ? Seriously pissed off but if my body needs rest to prevent injury thats what I will give it. Thats a great increase on your pr for the cycle

Not until the last 2 weeks,but at that stage i just couldn't handle the Friday/Saturday turn around,so the last two weeks were Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday and then the final week became, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and into Monday of another week.
    Max went from 170 to 190@ about 92-93KG. Some might disagree with me,but i reckon you would be better take the extra few days in between and rest and recover, if you're than banged up,so what if you don't stick to the cycle exactly as its wrote. You're not making massive changes to it.
    It is a great programme.

Hammar wrote: »
    Not until the last 2 weeks,but at that stage i just couldn't handle the Friday/Saturday turn around,so the last two weeks were Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday and then the final week became, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and into Monday of another week.
    Max went from 170 to 190@ about 92-93KG. Some might disagree with me,but i reckon you would be better take the extra few days in between and rest and recover, if you're than banged up,so what if you don't stick to the cycle exactly as its wrote. You're not making massive changes to it.
    It is a great programme.

Jesus dude thats some squat. From the 3 days I done of the cycle I will enjoyed it and no doubt my squat would increase if I managed to finish the cycle. Will have another go at it some other time

As you all no I had to stop my smolov jr cycle due to my knee so I am back on a strength 5x5 cycle for the next 12 weeks as I got great results from it last time.

Week 1 Day 1 Chest

Warm up
    stepper 12 mins

Flat bench
    1x20 @ 20kg
    2x12 @ 60kg
    1x10 @ 80kg
    5x7 @ 100kg
    1x1 @ 120kg
    1x1 @ 122.5kg (pr)

Decline bench
    1x12 @ 80kg
    5x5 @ 100kg

Incline bench
    1x12 @ 50kg
    3x12 @ 70kg

Explosive bench wide grip
    8x3 @ 80kg

Bench drop set
    1x failure @ 60kg
    1x failure @ 50kg
    1x failure @ 40kg
    1x failure @ 30kg
    1x failure @ 40kg
    1x failure @ 50kg
    1x failure @ 60kg
    No rest and I find its a great way to finish off a chest session.

Goals for 2014

Bench 140kg
    Squat 170-180kg
    Deadlift 220kg
    Hopefully compete in a powerlifting competition if all goes well

While maintaining a decent level of leanness. Would like to achieve this figures while staying around the 85kg bodyweight mark.

Warm up for purpose.

As you all no I had to stop my smolov jr cycle due to my knee so I am back on a strength 5x5 cycle for the next 12 weeks as I got great results from it last time.

Just curious as to what makes it a 5 x 5 program given the lack of 5 x 5 action in the session you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Just curious as to what makes it a 5 x 5 program given the lack of 5 x 5 action in the session you did?

this is EXACTLY what i was going to ask.

Ah lads come on, he did it on incline bench:pac:

• Advertisement

Got a bit carried away on flat bench the 100kg was suppose to be 5x5 but did 5x7 instead :)

Advertisement