Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a stronger me

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

chriity139 wrote: »
    Got a bit carried away on flat bench the 100kg was suppose to be 5x5 but did 5x7 instead :)

After all that volume before the testing, you'd probably have gotten much more without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Week 1 day 2 Shoulders

Warm up 12 mins stepper

Bb shoulder press
    1x20 @ 20kg
    1x10 @ 40kg
    1x7 @ 60kg
    5x5 @ 70kg

Db shoulder press
    1x12 @ 17.5kg
    1x10 @ 25kg
    5x5 @ 30kg

Gailleo rear delt pull
    5x5 @ plate 13

Bb upright row
    5x5 @ 45kg

Lateral Db shoulder raise
    5x12 @ 7.5kg

Forward Db shoulder raise
    5x12 @ 5kg

Rear delt Db raise
    5x12 @ 5kg

Behind the neck pulldown
    5x12 @ 45kg

Bb shrugs
    5x20 @ 60kg

After all that volume before the testing, you'd probably have gotten much more without it.

I'm not sure man. I tested before with and without volume before hand and maxed out on 120kg bout times, failing 122.5kg both times ? weird aint it

Week 1 day 3 Back

Deadlift
    2x5 @ 60kg
    1x5 @ 80kg
    1x5 @ 100kg
    1x5 @ 120kg
    5x5 @ 140kg

Narrow grip pulley row
    1x12 @ 30kg
    1x12 @ 35kg
    1x12 @ 40kg
    1x12 @ 45kh
    5x5 @ 75kg

Lat pull down
    1x12 @ 30kg
    1x12 @ 35kg
    1x12 @ 40kg
    3x10 @ 45kg

Lat rope pull
    5x12 @ 20kg

Back extensions
    5x12 @ bw

Deadlifts were good until my last 2 or 3 reps then my form started to break down. First time deadlifting without straps and my grip felt good all the way up. A few months ago my grip use to break around the 100kg mark. I asked my training partner tonight does his legs ever get tired after deadlifting and he said no but mine do. Does this mean I am doing something wrong in the movement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Could be several reasons for it but they don't necessarily have to be down to incorrect form. If you think it might be, post up a vid of your deadlift for a look. Do you feel tired in any particular area, i.e. quads, hams? Does your training partner feel it in his back after deadlifting?

• Advertisement

Could be several reasons for it but they don't necessarily have to be down to incorrect form. If you think it might be, post up a vid of your deadlift for a look. Do you feel tired in any particular area, i.e. quads, hams? Does your training partner feel it in his back after deadlifting?

Just around my hips today probably from pushing them through. When doing them on my last set of 5x5 my legs just felt tired, no specific area. Yeah he says he just feels it in his back.

Week 1 day 4 Explosive bench + Arms

Warmup
    Stairs for 12mins

Wide grip explosive bench
    8x3 @ 75kg

Close grip explosive bench
    8x3 @ 80kg

Tricep kickback + Bb curl
    Tricep kickback 3x12 @ 15kg, 3x15 @ 10kg
    Bb curl 3x12 @ 30kg, 3x15 @ 25kg

Bw dips + Db hammercurls
    Dip 4x15 @ Bw
    Db hammercurls 4x failure @ 22.5kg

Musclepharm Assault pre workout
    just finished my sample tub of this tonight. Enjoyed drinking it due to the taste (raspberry lemonade) but I didn't notice anything from the product. Curse my stimulant tolerance level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I have to ask, why do you warm up in the stairs/stepper for weights?

I have to ask, why do you warm up in the stairs/stepper for weights?

Its not for weights its for me, I like the machine :D I'm slowly getting my fitness back up

Week 1 Day 5 Back + Rear delt

12 mins on stairs for warm up

Narrow grip pulley row
    1x12 @ 48kg
    1x12 @ 55kg
    1x8 @ 68kg
    1x8 @ 82kg
    5x5 @ 95kg

Medium grip pulley row
    1x12 @ 48kg
    1x12 @ 55kg
    1x12 @ 61kg
    1x10 @ 68kg
    5x5 @ 82kg

Wide grip pulley row
    1x12 @ 41kg
    1x12 @ 48kg
    1x10 @ 55kg
    1x10 @ 61kg
    5x5 @ 68kg

Rear Delt fly
    3x20 @ 10kg
    3x10 @ 12.5kg
    3x10 @ 15kg

Bb Shrugs
    4x20 @ 60kg

• Advertisement

Week 1 Day 6 Squats + Rack pulls

12 mins stairs warmup

Foam roll + stretching

Squat
    1x3 @ 20kg
    1x3 @ 60kg
    1x3 @ 80kg
    1x3 @ 100kg
    1x3 @ 110kg
    1x3 @ 120kg
    1x3 @ 130kg
    5x3 @ 110kg (Would have been 5x5 but knee started to hurt at the end of the 3rd set so called it a day)

Rack pulls
    1x5 @ 20kg
    1x5 @ 60kg
    1x5 @ 80kg
    1x5 @ 100kg
    5x5 @ 140kg
    3x3 @ 150kg

Going to have to take a few weeks off doing legs to give my knee a rest :( Hate just doing upper body but if its what is needed to heal my knee then so be it.

You do know that if you want to rest your knee that you'd better skip deadlift too? I don't think you've rested it much since having to pack in Smolov.

You do know that if you want to rest your knee that you'd better skip deadlift too? I don't think you've rested it much since having to pack in Smolov.

Doesn't effect me at all when deadlifting but I guess your right. Will give that a break for a while as well.

Doesn't effect me at all when deadlifting but I guess your right. Will give that a break for a while as well.

It's not like it isn't affecting your knee until the point you start to feel it. If you want to rest it, stop putting so much stress on it. Mind you, I wouldn't fancy that myself. I know how hard it is to resist doing something if it's not hurting you straight away when you do anything.

Week 2 Day 1 Back

15mins stairs

Wide grip pullups
    5x5 @ Bw

Barbell row
    1x10 @ 20kg
    1x8 @ 60kg
    1x6 @ 80kg
    5x5 @ 90kg (pb)

Latt pull down
    5x12 @ 55kg

Rope latt pull down
    5x15 @ 20kg

Db row
    5x5 @ 40kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Hi Chriity,

First off, serious dedication is on display on this log. Fair play.

Re: your knee issue. Do you foam roll at all?

I had never really gotten knee pain until I got back into squatting after a lay-off due to injury. I usually do a 5-10min warm-up on the treadmill before gym sessions and started getting a pain in my knee while warming up a few days after a heavy squat session. Turned out the main problem was a very tight ITB, so I rolled the shít out of it, along with my quads and hams, and the pain disappeared.

Turned out the main problem was a very tight ITB, so I rolled the shít out of it, along with my quads and hams, and the pain disappeared.

Hell hath no fury like a tight IT band being foam rolled (properly).

Hell hath no fury like a tight IT band being foam rolled (properly).

Yeah. That or the ole vastus medialis (teardrop muscle). It's a good sort of pain though. Reassuring. Not like dentist pain.

Yeah. That or the ole vastus medialis (teardrop muscle). It's a good sort of pain though. Reassuring. Not like dentist pain.

Never found that as bad as the ITB, to be honest.

Hi Chriity,

First off, serious dedication is on display on this log. Fair play.

Re: your knee issue. Do you foam roll at all?

I had never really gotten knee pain until I got back into squatting after a lay-off due to injury. I usually do a 5-10min warm-up on the treadmill before gym sessions and started getting a pain in my knee while warming up a few days after a heavy squat session. Turned out the main problem was a very tight ITB, so I rolled the shít out of it, along with my quads and hams, and the pain disappeared.

Thanks man :D

Yeah I foam roll before and after every leg session for about 10 minutes.

Will look up stretches and how to strengthen my ITB. Hopefully thats the problem.

• Advertisement

Thanks man :D

Yeah I foam roll before and after every leg session for about 10 minutes.

Will look up stretches and how to strengthen my ITB. Hopefully thats the problem.

Reading back, you need to strengthen your hip muscles. You've said before that you'd feel it in your hips after deadlifting.

A studyy was carried out in the University of Kentucky on runners with IT band problems and it was strengthening of the hips rather than just stretching out the muscle that did the trick. I wouldn't say to neglect foam rolling the legs and hips but make sure you work on strengthening the hip muscles.

What sort of exercises would strengthen hips ?

What sort of exercises would strengthen hips ?

Single leg glute bridges, clamshells with resistance band, fire hydrants, hip abduction and flexion (again with a resitance band or using the cuff with a cable machine). Plenty of options. Might not be overly weak but you've done a fair old volume of squatting and leg pressing which has pushed it over its limit.

Single leg glute bridges, clamshells with resistance band, fire hydrants, hip abduction and flexion (again with a resitance band or using the cuff with a cable machine). Plenty of options. Might not be overly weak but you've done a fair old volume of squatting and leg pressing which has pushed it over its limit.

Have a abduction and adduction machine in the gym. That would do wouldn't it ? will look up some of the other exercises you mentioned as I am not familiar with them

Yeah, they should help. They movements are all simple enough. They'll just add that bit of strength to hip muscles that aren't normally being worked. It's a bit like having strong delts but a weak rotator cuff holding you back. The hips will impact on IT band which will impact on the knee. It's also possible your hips are a bit tight. Getting in around the hips with a tennis/lacrosse ball, sliotar or something like that will help. I used roll my legs as well but never got my hips properly and ended up needing a few physio sessions. Tight hips can push a bit more load onto knees (and lower back) when you're squatting or DLing heavy. Worth working on the hips to strengthen them and keep them loose anyway. Should help. Whether it solves it now is a different matter but I reckon it'll certainly help.

Week 2 Day 2 Chest

Bench
    1x20 @ 20kg
    1x10 @ 60kg
    1x10 @ 80kg
    5x5 @ 105kg (pb)
    1x3 @ 110kg (pb)
    1x1 @ 120kg
    1x1 @ 125kg (pb)

All sets were paused

Incline bench
    2x12 @ 40kg
    2x12 @ 60kg
    2x7 @ 80kg

Flat Db press
    5x5 @ 40kg

Do you have a training partner to spot you for 1RM attempts on the bench or do you just ask whoever happens to be in the gym at that time?

Do you have a training partner to spot you for 1RM attempts on the bench or do you just ask whoever happens to be in the gym at that time?

Have a training partner. Would never attempt a heavy bench without a spotter, same with squats I'd usually have a spot or the secure racks

Week 2 Day 3 Shoulders

Unable to do any pressing movement due to a pinch in my tricep so I am getting it looked at on sunday as well as my knee. I focused mainly on rear and lateral deltoid tonight. Didn't go heavy just did a lot of volume

crosstrainer 12 mins

Rear delt cable pull
    5x15 @ 18-34kg

Seated Gailleo rear delt
    5x15 @ 60-110kg

Rear delt machine flies
    3x15 @ 35kg

Rear delt Db flies
    5x15 @ 15kg

laterial Db raise
    5x25 @ 5kg

Barbell upright row
    5x8 @ 45kg

Getting annoyed with all these little niggley injuries. After this week is over I am taking a couple of weeks break from strength training to give my body time to recover. I don't want to be plagued with little injuries that will prevent me from progressing.

From next week on I will be doing low weight high volume and body balance (tai chi, yoga, pilates) class a few times a week to relieve some of the stress in my body.

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 4 Arms

12 mins stairs

Trapbar deadlift
    1x10 @ 70kg
    1x10 @ 110kg
    1x5 @ 150kg
    2x10 @ 110kg

Close grip pullups
    4x8 @ bw

Db hammercurl dropset to failure
    20kg x failure, 15kg x failure, 10kg x failure (x3)

Tricep pushdown
    1x20 @ 20kg
    1x20 @ 27kg
    1x15 @ 34kg
    1x12 @ 41kg
    3x15 @ 34kg
    1x20 @ 27kg
    1x20 @ 20kg

Tricep Rope pulldown
    4x15 @ 14kg

Advertisement