Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing the Callan by pass

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Rush hour in Callan ... I've heard it all now :rolleyes:

I commute on the Callan bypass twice a day, 5 days a week for the last 7 years. I think I've only ever seen someone cross the road once and they were a jogger. It would be ridiculous to reduce the speed limit from 100kph. There's no houses or shops on the bypass compared with ninemilehouse and grangemockler which is why they have restricted limits.

I presume that 10 year old took so long to cross as she was too cautious and couldn't judge the traffic speed properly. Seems a young age to let someone negotiate a main road like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

What next, a campaign for a bypass to bypass the bypass?

w5mlue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I ask if the Callan by pass is safe to do 100k during the rush hour, my limited driving ability is such that I doubt if I have exceeded 80k's, I would have thought the turn off's create dilemma's for fast moving traffic.
    If one is happy at that speed then so be it, but there is not a lot of space.
    As for the other places with limits, Poulacapple is trying to slow down traffic for the children, if this was on the by pass for say three quarters of an hour it is not going to delay anyone is it.
    I just think that because no one see's anyone attempting to cross the by pass it is okay, even animals keep away, the word is out.
    Yes I think the road is too dangerous for a youngster to cross, and speed is difficult to judge.
    I don't think my little fiat will do 100k.

just a quickie, have you clocked some of the artics from the north, scarey.
    Despite the restrictions there have been accidents in Grangemockler, remember the two truckers who drowned on the bridge there is a plaque to their memory RIP and the schoolgirl on the crossing RIP. Just drive safely and look out for Catbears pussy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I ask if the Callan by pass is safe to do 100k during the rush hour, my limited driving ability is such that I doubt if I have exceeded 80k's, I would have thought the turn off's create dilemma's for fast moving traffic.
    If one is happy at that speed then so be it, but there is not a lot of space.

Road is more then suitable for the 100km speedlimit,
    Turn offs could be abit better, but they work fine provided people use them correctly.

Of course the standard of many people's driving in this country leaves alot to be desired so more often then not you have people that don't indicate etc, but thats another matter.

As for the other places with limits, Poulacapple is trying to slow down traffic for the children, if this was on the by pass for say three quarters of an hour it is not going to delay anyone is it.

I think we've covered this already,
    Poulacapple and the likes are not bypassed and as such they will have speed limits for this reason.

The same as the N76 would if it still went through Bridge Street and Green Street.

The Callan Bypass portion of the N76 has no direct entrances to houses, schools or businesses onto it for this reason, infact nothing will get planning from the council if they request this.

The only exception to this are entrances to fields, but traffic comes from these only once every so often so they are not an issue.

This is to ensure that traffic can flow smoothly without it dropping down to a 60 or 50km zone, putting in a crossing of any sort across the road that isn't a bridge or tunnel would mean that there would have to be a 50 or 60km zone put in on the bypass.

In all honesty you need to look at this realistically and i don't think you are, the costs associated with land purchase etc for a tunnel would be just silly to make even one crossing.

If you installed one at Bretts odds are it would also be susceptible to flooding as there's actually a small river/stream running under that road just beside the junction.

The costs associated with a bridge again would just be silly especially considering the usage it would receive. You try to use Kilkenny as an example as to something that you "believe" doesn't get much usage. But in all honesty lets look at population.

Callan:
    Population (2006)[1]
    • Town 1,771
    • Urban 1,489
    • Rural 281

Kilkenny City
    Population (2011)[1]
    • Total 24,423
    • Borough 8,711
    • Environs 15,712

Now Callan has likely gone up abit since 2006 but its still no where near as much as Kilkenny would be. stuff at the end of the day has to be cost affective and it has to make sense usage wise.

• Advertisement

Yes, of course you are correct in every aspect of your post, even down to the stream by Bretts. On a cost basis it most certainly would not make economic sense.
    From what one can tell the amount of usage would be negligible; I guess in this financial turmoil money might be better spent on other projects.
    You quote the standard of driving, legislation has improved the standard, okay there are jokers who still use mobile phones, the worst being those who find it difficult to drive at the speed limit appropriate to the road, though; my belief is that it might be within the law to drive at say 100k's it is not necessarily compatible with the prevailing traffic conditions.
    But so be it for me to tell people to suck eggs.
    Rest my case and will conclude the thread, but thank you all, it was good fun
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Cabaal wrote: »
    trafficjam1993.jpg

Reminds me of being stuck in one of the doorways on Bridge for nearly 3 hours one day after school while a bus and a lorry tried to check which one what made of a denser material.

Saying the by-pass doesn't add anything to the journey past or through the town is just wrong on so many levels it renders the validity of some of the other points raised something to aimless rambling. Shame really there probably is some merit to it, just not on the scale talked about.

The known accidents that have occurred were mainly down to the line markings at Haggartsgreen which were amended ~8 years ago. Speeding and bad driving can't be attributed a fault of any road.

Sure we'd have no Aldi without our lovely by-pass :pac: The exit there is likely to be more dangerous than anywhere with the changes to the line markings coming in from the Kilkenny side. Time will tell in that regard

No I am not digging under the by pass, and no I am not taking whatever cabaal thinks, around the three schools there are no traffic regulations of 30kmh, it is 50 standard.
    There has not been a major accident on the by pass thank goodness, some good near misses, but they do not count.
    The truth is that the by pass is badly planned, plenty of paint.
    Sorry

Advertisement