Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopted a kitten, need a bit of advice.

• 10-10-2013 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend got a new kitten today from the CSPCA, after many weeks of having to wait we eventually got the one we wanted. It was vaccinated today (still needs booster shots) and it's a female (waiting to get it spayed).

I've had cats all my life, she hasn't.

It seems to be about 7 weeks old, quite relaxed in front of the radiator now.

I put out some (wet) kitten food, water, a bed and a litter tray in the same general area of a bedroom upstairs. The cat did the usual hiding tactic and ran under a wardrobe, i put some of the wet cat food on a spoon and slid it under, the cat had a few bites, then about 5 minutes later proceeded to vomit it up. Then was happy enough to wander around, pee on the carpet, crap on the bedroom floor and then go to sleep. I've no issue with any of that except the food. I don't want to kitten to go hungry and I don't know what else to feed it. The vet in the CSPCA ok'd the cat to go, after initially holding it for an extra week until it put on more weight as the whole litter was on the smaller side.

What should I be feeding it? I have both wet and dry food for kittens and regular human food (chicken, tuna etc). I will not feed it milk before someone suggests for or against.

2n6gkj.jpg

212cpqe.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Best bet is RC pate or similar or ideally what ever they were fed on before you got them (they should really have told you). The likely reason for throwing up is a combination of stress (new environment) and new food that their tummy is not used to and don't worry about the kitten starving but give it a bit of time to adjust. Also try to keep it contained to one room and then gradually let it's new world grow to help it adjust faster. You can also put it in the litter once or twice for it to get the idea (most kittens and cats get it after one or two entries).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Gorgeous kitten. Was it a little puddle of vomit or like a sausage shape? If it was a sausage shape, like a little line, it's regurgitation and probably just from eating the food too fast, so air gets trapped and as a result they bring the food back up. Or the food could just be too rich. Maybe a little bit of boiled chicken would be easier for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Gorgeous kitten. Was it a little puddle of vomit or like a sausage shape? If it was a sausage shape, like a little line, it's regurgitation and probably just from eating the food too fast, so air gets trapped and as a result they bring the food back up. Or the food could just be too rich. Maybe a little bit of boiled chicken would be easier for a while.

It was almost identical to the food it had just tasted, small lengths of meat in jelly (kitten food, wet). I have some chicken grilling for my own dinner at the moment so when it cools I'll mash it up and try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Dermighty wrote: »
    It was almost identical to the food it had just tasted, small lengths of meat in jelly (kitten food, wet). I have some chicken grilling for my own dinner at the moment so when it cools I'll mash it up and try that.

That sounds like regurgitation. They wolf it down so fast only to bring it back up very soon after eating it. My adult cats do this so I raise the food bowl off the ground so they have to eat it more slowly. They're adults so I put it on plant pots, about the height of a mug. That would be too high for your kitten but you could try raising it slightly on an upturned bowl and see if she eats any slower.

Since I started raising the food bowls up I haven't had any incidents, but sometimes my husband forgets and then they start it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Dont give her cows milk, cats are mostly lactose intolerant, you can buy cats milk in tescos, or you could just give her water,
    thats a good idea on the chicken too,
    Really you should be feeding her the same food she was getting at the rescue centre and gradually weening her off it to your own type cat food.
    One of the other posters recommended royal canin, I think its royal canin recovery food, I would go with that till shes settled in and jumping and climbing the sofa and curtains. hope this helped!
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Just a note to say you shouldn't feed cats tuna, its very bad for them.
    Beautiful kitten :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Wow she beautiful... I love the royal canin mother and baby cat dry food. You can start her off by soaking it in just off the boil water and let it cool down to lukewarm. The smell of the warm food wets their appetite. Got this tip from my local kitten rescue and seems to suit all kittens with no pukeys afterwards. You can buy it in 400g bags from any vet or pet shop and it lasts ages.

Thanks for all the advice :)

I've got a few bags and pouches of food I'd like to use if at all possible, it's all whiskas brand. She literally turned her head to chicken, moistened dry food and wet food and hasn't had any water that I've seen, and she has been here 6 hours.

I wouldnt worry too much, shes stressed from been in a new home, when shes hungry she'll eat and drink. Try heat some food that may work. It will take a few days for her to get used to her new surroundings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd not be too worried to be honest, give her a bit of time to settle in, make sure there is a supply of food available and when she is ready she will eat :)

Cat milk is always a winner, I've found.

• Advertisement

Status update: the cat is now playing with everything, dust, its shadow, toys, my arm o.0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dermighty wrote: »
    Status update: the cat is now playing with everything, dust, its shadow, toys, my arm o.0
    Wait until it finds the bestest toy ever though (it's own tail; it's always moving and always there!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Nody wrote: »
    Wait until it finds the bestest toy ever though (it's own tail; it's always moving and always there!)

My room mates cat used to chase his tail down the stairs, it was the funniest thing ever!!

Beautiful kitty OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

We found a cable tie (a pretty big one) a great success - ours spent hours chasing it yesterday and carrying it around on her mouth ever so proud - mega cute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

If u really want to tire her out, ya need to get 'da bird'. I have seen it turning big old fat cats into crazy kittens...it's That good!

lubie76 wrote: »
    If u really want to tire her out, ya need to get 'da bird'. I have seen it turning big old fat cats into crazy kittens...it's That good!
    Kittens tend to be quite good on getting tired on their own but I agree that "da bird" is by far the best pet toy we've had (closely followed by a laser dot or live flies) for chasing; kong kickaroo's also work great (but get a non cat nip one for kittens) along with twisty ties (no clue why all cats love them but they do!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Bottle caps are a winner - the ones from coke bottles. I started giving them to my cat when he was teething because I read they were good for cats to chew on (and stopped them from chewing on arms, couches, cables). He goes nuts for a bottle cap now - he has a stash of favorite ones he keeps under the radiator.

reallyrose wrote: »
    Bottle caps are a winner - the ones from coke bottles. I started giving them to my cat when he was teething because I read they were good for cats to chew on (and stopped them from chewing on arms, couches, cables). He goes nuts for a bottle cap now - he has a stash of favorite ones he keeps under the radiator.

Plastic I assume?

roll up some tinfoil into a ball, this will keep them busy for a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I don't know must have the worlds laziest kittens they have no interest in cat toys but will literally spend hours outside in the garden climbing & hiding in the wood pile (especially in the evenings when its cold and they see me cleaning out the fireplace they make a bee line for it and hide just so they can jump out of it to frighten the living day lights out of me) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement