Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage and repossesion

Options
  • 10-10-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'M ,55 the Bank Of Ireland says my Mortgage is unsustainable because I have been on Interest only for 3 years which is 300 euro a month. my full tracker mortgage is 1040 a month, I can appeal in writing but I would have to make a "substantial" offer of paying more. Would an offer of 500 a month
    (300 interest + 200) keep me out of court, ie the court would rule in my favour, I suppose what I want to know is what their bottom line is ,
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They don't really have a bottom line- per se- they deal with each case individually. How likely are they to seek repossession? Depends on a lot of factors- not least whether there is equity in the property. If you have massive negative equity- they crystalise losses if they repossess- if you don't they get their pound of flesh.

You need to approach them with a genuine offer. Offering to repay 200 a month- what would this mean for the term of the mortgage? And with the restructing- would you get to keep your tracker?

Whatever way you look at this- it probably is an unsustainable mortgage- given numerous factors- notably your age- you're only 15 years away from 70- and present policy is to only schedule mortgages to the current retirement age (currently 68)- which is 13 years.

Something has to give. You need to do up a proper financial statement of affairs and approach them with a genuine offer- if you want to stay in the property. If they offer you a debt cancellation to vacate the property- that might in itself not be a bad thing- as you wouldn't have it hanging over you.

Personally- all things considered- I don't think an offer of 500 a month is going to cut it- considering your age. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

was reciently told our mortgage is unsustainable.our lender wasnt interested in monthly payments at all,they wanted half the arrears payment.only then would they discuss repayments. i didnt have money so im in the process of being reposessed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

katy39 wrote: »
    I'M ,55 the Bank Of Ireland says my Mortgage is unsustainable because I have been on Interest only for 3 years which is 300 euro a month. my full tracker mortgage is 1040 a month, I can appeal in writing but I would have to make a "substantial" offer of paying more. Would an offer of 500 a month
    (300 interest + 200) keep me out of court, ie the court would rule in my favour, I suppose what I want to know is what their bottom line is ,

Your tracker is 1040 a month and Interest only is 300 a month?? Are you sure those figures are right? Not an expert but that sounds a bit odd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ronan45 wrote: »
    Your tracker is 1040 a month and Interest only is 300 a month?? Are you sure those figures are right? Not an expert but that sounds a bit odd

No it doesn't. Sounds pretty much bang on depending on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

ronan45 wrote: »

It would make sense if they went interest only around year 18 of 25 year mortgage at 4%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

katy39 wrote: »

What are your incomings? Gross salary, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament .

Appeal it regardless - the courts won't take you seriously unless you do.
    Tiu need to demonstrate to them and te banks that yiu are serious & committed to finding a solution .

Your circumstances have changed For the better. (how!?) - you can now add a further e2oo to the monthly figure - great.

Now . How many rooms ? How many people - is it just you ?
    Can you rent out rooms? You will pribably have to to get in a quick cashfliw while you are jobhunting . Im assuming this is the issue). Even one would bring in ( depending on where you are) 350 - 400 pcm plus half your bills thus freeing up more funds to put towards the mortgage .

300+ 200 + 400 - a much more reasonable figure to negotiate from and one I guess the bank & ultimately the courts might well find in your favour.

Put all the figures down & send it by registered post - keep the receipt & a copy. From this they can negotiate & ask for higher or less. They also have to e reasonable. Whatever you do make sure you appeal - & get help both from MABS for the wording & from te mortgage lender to see what their policy is - if you can show you kept within its parameters & they didn't you will have a good chance if it goes to court .

Best of luck with it . It's just dreadful. We bailed out the banks - I don't see them working nights for free or afraid to take sick days or holiday leave for fear their jobs will be gone when they return. It's just terribly unfair .

Advertisement