Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction management and engineering

• 10-10-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Was wondering is this a good course and what are the job prospects like?? Got an A1 in construction studies in leaving cert so I recon I'd do well at it but is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

D.murphy wrote: »
    Was wondering is this a good course and what are the job prospects like?? Got an A1 in construction studies in leaving cert so I recon I'd do well at it but is it worth it?

I got an A in construction too and share modules with them..... imagine first class maths and leaving cert honours kind of scale difference in the 2.. Job prospects in construction might me a bit better in 4-5 years time than they are now so you might get a job out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 D.murphy

garv123 wrote: »
    I got an A in construction too and share modules with them..... imagine first class maths and leaving cert honours kind of scale difference in the 2.. Job prospects in construction might me a bit better in 4-5 years time than they are now so you might get a job out of it

Ok I get you. Are u in the course now ? What do u make of it if u are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

D.murphy wrote: »
    Ok I get you. Are u in the course now ? What do u make of it if u are?

No but we share a lot of modules. some with the same year and some with the year behind us.

Tech maths, not too bad if you go to all the tutorials or if you got on well in honours. (i did pass)

Communication graphics, basic enough tech drawing for people who never did it before, submit all the homework, coursework and you'll be fine

Materials, terrible! everyone hates it, theres a thread on here about it too. class of a few hundred which makes it worse. We cud answer the lab homework online. 5% each week but because of all the copying you must now do it in the lab.

Design studio, handy enough, all project based. We were in groups to design and make a bridge out of paper to hold 3ks and then carry out road traffic surveys. easy enough module but you must attend it to get the work done. No exam

structural mechanics, tough enough, a lot of maths (all) but if you are good at that kind of thing its not too bad once you understand the theory behind it.

2D CAD,Using autocad, not too bad if you attend and pay attention, I like auto cad so it was easier for me to do. Project and computer based Cad exam.

Land surveying, Not a bad module if you get the theory, lab work is outside in the wet and cold though. More maths but not as bad.

Building measurement, more maths but not the worst either.

Quality systems, not so bad if you read all the notes a few nights before the exam :D

structural design, open book exam but a lot of working formulas and thinking behind it, havent done the exam yet.

Product design, design a product 60% based , stuff due weekly for project worth a few %, 40% exam

Accounting, more basic maths but a lot to take in if youve never done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 D.murphy

Appreciate that, have a good idea of the modules now! still haven't made up my mind what to do tho, between this and air corps apprentice. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Craiggers

I'm in this course.... project management is what I always wanted to do. I enjoy the course but to succeed in this you really need to have a strong interest in the construction industry big advantage.....

The modules themselves are anot bad for most part... some of them are complete rubbish

Construction studies is nothing like construction management btw and I wouldn't base your choice on that

But if you have an interest in how things are built how the goes from a field to a block of apartments, skyscraper, road or bridge then you will enjoy the work and job after........

• Advertisement
Advertisement