Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EMachine E442 - taking charge sporadically

• 10-10-2013 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a EMachines E442, which I've stuck 8gb of RAM into, and a Samsung 840 SSD - the 8gb has been in it since I bought it about 2 years ago, and the SSD has been in it since just after Xmas.

It has Windows 7 and Linux Mint 15 as a dual boot - but I don't that is an issue.

IT's fine - the 8gb worked from the start, and the difference was very noticeable compared to an exact same machine which I bought for my mother at the same time, the SSD was a further revelation.

In the last couple of months or so, it has stopped taking a charge - sporadically.

At first I thought it was overheating or something, and I got one of those cheap external usb cooling pads - and it seemed to help for a while (it was 1.49 in Dealz), it cracked though, so I went and got a better type, made of metal, three fans thing, its cool to the touch and is keeping the bottom of the laptop like a fridge.

So, here's what happens. I turn on the laptop and all is good. I can see the battery symbol in the bottom right of the screen giving the "charging" signal. After a while the two lights on the front and the light in the power button start to flash and the battery stops drawing a charge.

If I don't have the battery connected, the laptop turns off at this point - so not only is the battery not charging, the laptop is actually not drawing any power.

Apart from when it's closed and either hibernating or turned completely off, if i leave it for a while with the power cable connected, then turn it back on, the battery will be fully charged.

Any idea what's going on?

Advertisement