Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS 7 Battery Issue

• 10-10-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I've had the iMessage issue (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057050556) - it's ongoing, but manageable. But the battery issue is harder to cope with. Basically, battery management is gone crazy. The battery on my iPhone 5 can die at any time the level drops below 50%. It died earlier today while at 19%. Wouldn't power on until I plugged it in and immediately read 19% again. I don't think it's specific to 7.0.2, I think it first happened on 7.0. The worst instance was when it died with the level reading 32%. 32%! So I can't trust the phone anymore and have to carry a charger with me everywhere. It's a pain in the a*se. I wonder will 7.0.3 fix it or will we have to wait for 7.1? Anybody heard of any workarounds? Turning stuff off doesn't make a difference if your battery dies at 32%...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds like you need a new battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭iniall

AFAIK It's a known (albeit rare) iOS 7 issue. Battery was perfectly fine on iOS 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

iniall wrote: »
    I've had the iMessage issue (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057050556) - it's ongoing, but manageable. But the battery issue is harder to cope with. Basically, battery management is gone crazy. The battery on my iPhone 5 can die at any time the level drops below 50%. It died earlier today while at 19%. Wouldn't power on until I plugged it in and immediately read 19% again. I don't think it's specific to 7.0.2, I think it first happened on 7.0. The worst instance was when it died with the level reading 32%. 32%! So I can't trust the phone anymore and have to carry a charger with me everywhere. It's a pain in the a*se. I wonder will 7.0.3 fix it or will we have to wait for 7.1? Anybody heard of any workarounds? Turning stuff off doesn't make a difference if your battery dies at 32%...

Calibrate your battery & the readings will be a lot more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NetSquirrel

I also have this issue with my iPhone 5 since iOS7 - I've calibrated the battery several times and done a restore but my phone still shuts down suddenly at anywhere between 40% and 20% and won't restart unless I plug in a charger. From my usage I know that the percentage of battery remaining is reasonably accurate - and when my phone re-starts after I plug it into a charger it displays the same battery level as before. This issue occurs most frequently when I go to take a photo when the battery is below 40% (irrespective of whether I use use the built-in camera or an app and of whether I use flash, burst mode, etc), but has also happened randomly when I'm not doing anything.

A number of people on the Apple community forums report that if you leave the phone off for half an hour or so it will turn back on without charging, but I haven't tried this myself - my phone is now in a Mophie Juicepack pretty much permanently so I always have access to a charger. This appears to be a known issue, but nowhere near as common as the well-documented battery drain issue (which I haven't really experienced to any great extent) and none of the "turn everything off to save your battery" workarounds are really applicable in this case - they just delay the inevitable random shutdown.

I'm going to be in Belfast next week so I've got a Genius Bar appointment booked...

I also have this issue with my iPhone 5 since iOS7 - I've calibrated the battery several times and done a restore but my phone still shuts down suddenly at anywhere between 40% and 20% and won't restart unless I plug in a charger. From my usage I know that the percentage of battery remaining is reasonably accurate - and when my phone re-starts after I plug it into a charger it displays the same battery level as before. This issue occurs most frequently when I go to take a photo when the battery is below 40% (irrespective of whether I use use the built-in camera or an app and of whether I use flash, burst mode, etc), but has also happened randomly when I'm not doing anything.

A number of people on the Apple community forums report that if you leave the phone off for half an hour or so it will turn back on without charging, but I haven't tried this myself - my phone is now in a Mophie Juicepack pretty much permanently so I always have access to a charger. This appears to be a known issue, but nowhere near as common as the well-documented battery drain issue (which I haven't really experienced to any great extent) and none of the "turn everything off to save your battery" workarounds are really applicable in this case - they just delay the inevitable random shutdown.

I'm going to be in Belfast next week so I've got a Genius Bar appointment booked...

Hey NetSquirrel, let us know how you get on in Belfast.

I think my battery-management issue (if that's what it is) is getting worse. Today it fell to 9%, but when I plugged it in it immediately jumped to 17%. After about 15 minutes charging, it read 25%, but when I unplugged it, it immediately went to 11%. It's as if the OS has lost its ability to manage or report on the battery. I'm getting worried that 7.0.3 might not be enough to fix this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How do you calibrate the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

I used to have crap battery, having tested all beta from 1 to Gm, these setting helped me getting decent battery, Atleast same level as ios 6.
    1. Background refersh off
    2. Location off
    3. Facebook messenger (notification off)
    4. Auto brightness off ( made huge diff seems like bug)
    5. Logged out of facebook integration.

This is my stats with lots of calls, no music and push email and notification on etc

3G, Mobile Data & 3rd party push notifications all off = longer battery life for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Brightness, Background refresh and Location Services are the main ones to keep an eye on. As well as any VOIP apps (which there should really be a system setting for disabling). I'd also probably advise against push email for anything except iCloud.

Notifications only use battery when they are coming in. Having loads enabled doesn't use anymore than having none enabled since they all come through via Apple's Push Notification Server which your phone keeps a single, constant connection to anyway for things like iMessage and FaceTime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Aodhagan wrote: »
    3G, Mobile Data & 3rd party push notifications all off = longer battery life for me.

With all those off what's the point in having any smart phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

guil wrote: »
    Yep, particularly 3G. Useless for browsing with this off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you mean you didn't buy a ferrari only to keep it in your driveway? ****, lads anyone want to buy me ferrari?

"...So it’s not that the battery is actually running out; instead, iOS 7’s power management code is freaking out once the battery level falls to around 20 percent."

http://tidbits.com/article/14154

I mean to turn them off when not in use (which is why it would be very handy to have access to those switches in the control centre rather than 'do not disturb' for example).

I switch between wifi at home & in college & only turn on the 3G in between & only when I need it as it's the biggest drain on the battery I find.

Long story short: when finished browsing etc, turn off the mobile data & 3G toggles until you need them again.

3rd party notifications can be handy but a lot are not really necessary and you can just check your Facebook, Twitter etc when you want rather than have your phone check for new content every few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have an iPhone 5 a year old now and iOS7.0.2. My battery life is slightly better than under iOS6. I have gone down to 6% several times (the last time was last night) since I went to iOS 7 and have no problems like this whatsoever.
    One of my work colleagues had some battery issues but it was solved by reinstalling as a new phone.
    These problems are rare and there are many good things that can be done to solve them if you google a bit. Has anyone in this thread done anything at all to try to fix their issue ? I don't see anyone mention them.
    Software of all kinds, from all suppliers, incur errors from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NetSquirrel

So I took my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store in Belfast. The Genius scratched his head and said he'd never heard of this shutdown issue before but if I wanted to send it back they'd have a look. Didnt leave it with them as I needed to set up a temporary phone etc, but sent it back via UPS and got a replacement. So far so good - no improvement in battery life but the random shutdown thing hasn't happened so far. I'm still none the wiser about what the issue was - all of the Apple support people I talked to on the phone claimed I was the first person to report this problem, despite the number of threads discussing it on the forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

I have had the same issue with my battery since I bought the iPhone 5 last December, so can rule out it being an IOS 7 issue. Just as mentioned above. Worst case was at 32% for me. Powered off while trying to take a photo. Wouldn’t turn back on until charger plugged in. Then had 32% battery straight away. Not a calibration issue as I unplugged the phone and started using it again. The battery then just drained at the expected rate.

I have since figured out that if you leave it for 10-15mins, it will power back on. Pain in the ass, as it lets you down when you feel you need it most :mad:

Should really try get it replaced but can’t imagine Apple would entertain it as it is such an intermittent fault...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Calibrate your battery & the readings will be a lot more accurate.

How do you do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How do you do this?

Charge it to 100% and let it die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Bazsutto wrote: »
    I have had the same issue with my battery since I bought the iPhone 5 last December, so can rule out it being an IOS 7 issue. Just as mentioned above. Worst case was at 32% for me. Powered off while trying to take a photo. Wouldn’t turn back on until charger plugged in. Then had 32% battery straight away. Not a calibration issue as I unplugged the phone and started using it again. The battery then just drained at the expected rate.

I have since figured out that if you leave it for 10-15mins, it will power back on. Pain in the ass, as it lets you down when you feel you need it most :mad:

Should really try get it replaced but can’t imagine Apple would entertain it as it is such an intermittent fault...

I just sent mine back for the same reason. Send it back while you still have time. I was completely honest about the faults and the troubleshooting I've done (soft and hard resets, restores as new and from backup, changed settings etc.)

Firstly I logged a fault but that only offered me the option of them collecting the phone (via UPS) and sending me one back when they'd serviced it. That was free, but left me without a phone for a week or so. So I called up (1800 923898) about the Express Replacement Service whereby you pay €29 and they send a phone out to you within a day or two, at which point you return your old phone (again all via UPS). They put a hold on your credit card while they wait for the old phone to be returned, at which point the hold is released.

But the option I went for was to buy AppleCare for €69. That's an extra year of hardware and phone support after my original warranty runs out. With this they waive the €29 fee for the Express Replacement (though they still put a temporary hold on your credit card) that I was going to pay anyway. I raised the support ticket online on Sunday night, called them first thing Monday morning and had the phone in my hand by 3pm on Tuesday via UPS.

Once the guy on the phone became aware of my issues (quick battery drain, phone dying with a decent % of battery left) and that I'd followed all of the online troubleshooting options he immediately agreed to send a replacement with no quibbles, but I preferred to spend the €69 and have the peace of mind of knowing my phone's under warranty until the end of my contract with Three.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I really do think you should consider getting it replaced. I've had the phone a couple of days now and the battery life is fantastic again.

• Advertisement

I thought you could only buy AppleCare+ within 30 days of buying your iPhone? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

deep1 wrote: »
    I used to have crap battery, having tested all beta from 1 to Gm, these setting helped me getting decent battery, Atleast same level as ios 6.
    1. Background refersh off
    2. Location off
    3. Facebook messenger (notification off)
    4. Auto brightness off ( made huge diff seems like bug)
    5. Logged out of facebook integration.

This is my stats with lots of calls, no music and push email and notification on etc

Seriously through what is the point in having a smart phone if you have to disable its functions and advantages?

Switching off 3g renders a phone useless for many.

I'm also having battery issues nothing to do with iOS7 but my 4s would be at around 15% and suddenly switch itself off.
    I wait 10 minutes and I can power back on and it will be down to 5%. Very annoying.

Any tips on calibration or where to get a good, safe (unlikely to explode Chinese knock off) would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I thought you could only buy AppleCare+ within 30 days of buying your iPhone? :confused:

'AppleCare' can be purchased anytime within the 1 year warranty and extends the warranty to 2 years, 'AppleCare+' can only be purchased within 30 days and does the same and includes accidental damage.

Not sure, but the old AppleCare product may not be available for new products.

Dave6195 wrote: »
    'AppleCare' can be purchased anytime within the 1 year warranty and extends the warranty to 2 years, 'AppleCare+' can only be purchased within 30 days and does the same and includes accidental damage.

Not sure, but the old AppleCare product may not be available for new products.

Yeah I can't see any thing other than AppleCare+ on the Apple website!

Advertisement