Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conned by Eircom

Options
  • 10-10-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I have been a customer of Vodafone for the past few years and the service has been solid. I had a minimum of 6mb download on an upto 8mb connection regardless of what time I connected. So following a recent call to the door from Eircom and a speedtest showing 17mb I was persuaded to sign up with guarantees of no congestion and a free upgrade to fiber which is due to launch in my area next month. Broadband became active today (signed contract on the 18/9/13) and I carried out a speedtest. Happy days I got just under 16mb. However this evening is a different story. I am averaging about 2.5mb despite being assured that it was uncongested.  Totally disgusted and will be taking this up with Comreg.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3025653385][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3025653385.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]3025653385.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Comreg won't do a damn thing for you. Under their Universal service obligation, believe it or not, Eircom are only required to give you a speed of more than 26.6kbps and whenever they talk about BB speeds they always say "Broadband speed of up to" whatever speed they promised
    - caveat emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

pissed wrote: »
    I have been a customer of Vodafone for the past few years and the service has been solid. I had a minimum of 6mb download on an upto 8mb connection regardless of what time I connected. So following a recent call to the door from Eircom and a speedtest showing 17mb I was persuaded to sign up with guarantees of no congestion and a free upgrade to fiber which is due to launch in my area next month. Broadband became active today (signed contract on the 18/9/13) and I carried out a speedtest. Happy days I got just under 16mb. However this evening is a different story. I am averaging about 2.5mb despite being assured that it was uncongested.  Totally disgusted and will be taking this up with Comreg.

[URL="[url=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3025653385][img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3025653385.png[/img][/url]"][/url]3025653385.png
    Hi pissed

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing. If you would like to PM me your landline number I will look into this in detail and get back to you shortly after.

Many thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

The routers eircom supply are rubbish.  If they are on for longer than 24 hours they slow right down.  If you switch it off and on again you'll be back up to your 16mb.  I phoned eircom and that's the advice the tech "support" guy on the other end of the phone told me and it did work while I ran down my contract with them.  But it's a pain in the ass having to do that every day.  Once the contract was up I switched to Sky and have had no problems with the speed decreasing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I have a similar story, I feel I was conned by moving from Eircom to Vodafone by a door to door caller. I was signed up for 12 months before I realised that I had been mislead or lied to. I did get on to Vodafone and fought my case, we compromised but it was a lesson learnt. We have to question more and investigate before taking the jump in future. Just to say the salesman that signed me up did not work with Vodafone, He was just selling Vodafone products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Hi Alan, PM sent. I am not using an Eircom router. I have a TP link one. I carried out several speedtests last night and early this morning. Worst was around the 8pm mark when I hit a high of 1.6mb. This gradually got better as the evening went on and reached 5mb at midnight. Checked this morning before heading to work at it was back to 14.5 mb.  So much for no contention on NGB.

• Advertisement

Hi Alan, PM sent. I am not using an Eircom router. I have a TP link one. I carried out several speedtests last night and early this morning. Worst was around the 8pm mark when I hit a high of 1.6mb. This gradually got better as the evening went on and reached 5mb at midnight. Checked this morning before heading to work at it was back to 14.5 mb. So much for no contention on NGB.
    Hi pissed

Thanks for your PM and the details. I've looked into this in detail and ivestigated this in full.

I can confirm that my tests have displayed an issue with the line itself. I have contacted broadband technical support who have agreed with me on the basis that this line issue is very likely to be the reason for the slow speeds you are experiencing.

Broadband technical support have now escalated this case to engineers to work to a resolution. The standard lead time for a full resolution to issues with lines is up to three working days however I will do all I can to have this expidited for you.

I will keep you updated as much as I can and hopefully this will be resolved very soon

Thanks

Al

*Edit: Reference number for line issue is 11943155

Thanks Alan. I will keep you informed here re the outcome.

Thanks pissed

I would appreciate that. Have a nice weekend.

Al

Thanks pissed

Al
    Hi Alan, just to update you on the situation. An eircom engineer rang me today and said he checked the line and it was not showing a fault. He lowered my profile from 17 to 15mb and asked me to see how it went. He did not close off on the fault and will ring me tomorrow (tues). The connection is still the same. I do not believe it to be a line fault. I can achieve full download speeds early in the morning and during the day, obviously most people are at work during these times. Come the evening time connection drops to 2 to 3 megs. This happens every night. My area is due to go live with efibre in nov. I am prepared to put up with this crappy service for a month but am not one bit pleased in the way I was conned. Can I expect a dramatic improvement at peak times when efibre goes live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Thanks pissed

Al
    Hi Alan, just to update you on the situation. An eircom engineer rang me today and said he checked the line and it was not showing a fault. He lowered my profile from 17 to 15mb and asked me to see how it went. He did not close off on the fault and will ring me tomorrow (tues). The connection is still the same. I do not believe it to be a line fault. I can achieve full download speeds early in the morning and during the day, obviously most people are at work during these times. Come the evening time connection drops to 2 to 3 megs. This happens every night. My area is due to go live with efibre in nov. I am prepared to put up with this crappy service for a month but am not one bit pleased in the way I was conned. Can I expect a dramatic improvement at peak times when efibre goes live?
    Although 'NGB' DSL is sold as uncontended, and it is, up to a point; the whole network, by its very nature shares bandwidth among many users.The point at which the backhaul can deal with the subscriber traffic is just pushed back up the network. Poorly configured routers can cause network congestion in times of load, or simply not having the upstream bandwidth to handle times of peak traffic.

You could do some simple analysis with various route tracing tools to determine where the congestion or latency is happening. Layer-4 Traceroute is worth a look -> http://pwhois.org/lft/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks pissed

Al
    Hi pissed,

I see the engineer was out at the exchange today to check your port as per the case escalated by technical support REF: 11943155

He attempted to call out to the address afterwards, did you get any missed calls?

Mark

Thanks pissed

Al
    Hi pissed,

I see the engineer was out at the exchange today to check your port as per the case escalated by technical support REF: 11943155

He attempted to call out to the address afterwards, did you get any missed calls?

Mark
    Hi Mark, in fairness to the engineer he has been great. As stated above he lowered my connection and had my line monitored overnight. He contacted me first thing this morning and reported that there was no drop off on the line. I informed him that my problem was still there and he suggested changing the router. Router has been changed and he has left the fault open again. He will ring me in the morning for an update.

My old router worked fine on my last connection with Vodafone so I will just have to wait until this evening and see how things go.

Thanks pissed

Al
    Hi pissed,

Mark
    Hi Mark, in fairness to the engineer he has been great. As stated above he lowered my connection and had my line monitored overnight. He contacted me first thing this morning and reported that there was no drop off on the line. I informed him that my problem was still there and he suggested changing the router. Router has been changed and he has left the fault open again. He will ring me in the morning for an update.

My old router worked fine on my last connection with Vodafone so I will just have to wait until this evening and see how things go.
    Hi pissed

Ok, well thanks for getting back on the thread. I will check the case later on in the week and follow up with you.

Mark

Hi Mark still waiting on that follow up. I am still experiencing the same issues. I have great speeds during the day but come the evenings and weekends they drop to 2mb. Like I said I had the engineer out who checked the line and found no fault. Replaced the router but still the same. I never had these issues with Vodafone and beginning to regret the so called step up from an  8mb connection to an up to 24mb. It has had the opposite effect with lower speeds.

Hi Mark still waiting on that follow up. I am still experiencing the same issues. I have great speeds during the day but come the evenings and weekends they drop to 2mb. Like I said I had the engineer out who checked the line and found no fault. Replaced the router but still the same. I never had these issues with Vodafone and beginning to regret the so called step up from an  8mb connection to an up to 24mb. It has had the opposite effect with lower speeds.
    Hi pissed

The engineer did check your port at the exchange and technical support monitored neigbouring customers with eircom broadband to try and see if it is a common localised issue. So they lowered the sync to 15MB case REF: 1165555

Have you connected one device via ethernet cable during peak times (or a 24 hour period) to confirm the speed drop is the same?

Mark

Hi Mark, my PC is connected all the time via ethernet. The speeds drop in the evening and all weekend, in other words when everyone is home from work. I am almost certain my next door neighbour is an Eircom customer so I will ask her to run a speed test.

Any update on this please or do I have to open a fresh complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Hi, where in Meath are you.. there seems to be several of us here in Dunshaughlin,Ashbourne and Trim area with same symptoms.. (there is couple of threads here in the forum reg. this)

finnteme wrote: »
    Hi, where in Meath are you.. there seems to be several of us here in Dunshaughlin,Ashbourne and Trim area with same symptoms.. (there is couple of threads here in the forum reg. this)
    I am based in Ashbourne too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mightymeaty

I'd like to echo a similar story , same geographical area (dunshaughlin) , moved from vodafone 2 months ago (solid 6.7Mb on an 8MB line )  .  Eircom put new line in - Fantastic - 14.9Mb (now set to 12mb) .  The heady tales of  EFibre swooshing round my house. 

Within a few days, kept timing out  , disconnecting from the Exchange etc. 5 "Case" tickets later - BTW same good experience with 3 visits by  Engineers. 
    Yip , great line speeds when tested during the working day (10-12Mb)  but  Router logs show disconnections to exchange . Line speeds  between 1 & 4Mb evenings and weekends. I got my first sub 1Mb this evening . Thrilled i was. 

Ran  my own tests over 2 days  which  show  sustained  periods where TTL > 1 second , matching the end user experience 
    - Eircom folks - directly plugged in to the router,  no Wireless signals  were harmed during this test.

Separately , my work VPN keeps dropping .  Eircom reps - It doesnt happen when its connected on my 3g phone connection . 

I've had line , eircom router &  ext junction joints replaced (water damage) . Am i unlucky or what ?.

Today, I asked to terminate contract  so i can get more  reliable  service elsewhere I got and got the "early disconnection fee of €5X0"  - hope they discount the daily disconnection.

Tonight- one of the tech  support people arranged to ring me at 7pm so that he could remotely log on to my PC (Bad, bad protocol BTW)  and see the speed tests.  

I probably missed it because my mobile phone was having interference from all the other phones in the locality. 

Good luck...

• Advertisement

Its very quiet in here. 10 hrs response time :p. Strating early tonight, down to just over 3 megs.

3098671137.png

3098849448.png
    and falling

Ok I am sure there is a good reason why none of the reps have posted on this thread since the 5th or have they just run out of excuses?

I had my 3rd fault opened last nite, got an sms earlier that prev. fault was fixed, and it is not, same problem persists.

Eircom engineer visited me aswell, and told that there was some exchange level work done, and it should be fixed at that leve. Have to mention aswell, that they are absolutly delight to deal with, polite and know their stuff, unfortunatly the problem seems to be somewhere else, backhaul etc, that nw team need to check.

I mentioned yesterday to tech.support that there seems to be several people having the same problem in this area, and gave them the boards.ie address to check this.. after conducting 30 minutes tests, even with all wireless devices disconnected, and wlan shutted off from router level, the problem persisted, so my case is now in network team again.. lets see what happens this time. Still no reply from customer care team other than asking my acc. nr again... well, i guess that counts as reply aswell in their eyes lol...

Had two Engineers out on Saturday, checked line again, no faults. Told me that it should not be congestion but that it looks like it. My only hope now is Efibre. Checked my account and the fault is logged as cleared. I feel like a Hamster on one of those wheels.

dont give up, i have had now 2 engineer visit, and the line itself is fine. after the engineers visited me, and the fault fas set as fixed in My Eircom, i called again to the technical support, conducted the tests again (took 30 mins) and eliminated all the possible faults in hardware and internal wiring, my case is now at the network team.

And call to the tech. support via 1901, i didnt know that they can connect you, and i have paid like 40 eurs calling the 1890 nr so far..

And now it gets even better. Arrived home today to be greeted with a letter from Eircom thanking me for my upgrade to bbadvanced highunl ??????

Now on hold for the past 20 minutes trying to get through to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

And now it gets even better. Arrived home today to be greeted with a letter from Eircom thanking me for my upgrade to bbadvanced highunl ??????

Now on hold for the past 20 minutes trying to get through to them.

Hi pissed,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Would you like to DM me your account details and I'll check this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

PM sent.

• Advertisement

PM sent.
    Hi pissed,

I have sent on numerous follows up to your thread. Technical support ran some more checks and monitored the connection speed again for a period of a week as well as checking with the engineers who called out.

We are not disputing what you have outlined, however we have not been able to verify it. As such I am afraid there is nothing more we can do from here.

If you want to escalate the matter further, you can escalate the issue as an official complaint  (I have sent a PM with the details)

I am really sorry there is nothing more we can do.

Mark 

Advertisement