Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative pay *HELP*

• 10-10-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was paid a month I was not meant to be paid by a company. They recently sent me letter to get the money back. Money was taken on bills and I did not realise I was paid the money until these letters. I left the company in february and the month after they sent me my p45 and had the money included. Revenue advised this was a serious mistake. The company has since rang me and advised they are going to pursue me for the money. What can they do? What is the next steps? Anyone any experience on this?

HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED! Strapped for cash does not help this issue!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

offer to pay them back a few euro a month until it is cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 workingboy

but what can they do if i do nt pay is my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I received an extra months salary a few years back 2007 I think it was - I wasn't impressed with the way the company managed my departure so I kept my mouth shut thinking it was karma. I got a letter a few weeks later, ignored it and nothing since.

Money was well spent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

they can take you to Court get a judgement against you for this and any costs they incur in going after you.

the p45 was issued and it said the money was correct the revenue said nothing they can do since they issued the incorrect p45. while in the company i left on stress for a month then decided i needed to leave ... this was when money was given. i got a few letters and now i am starting to receive calls. i have no written agreement nor verbal to pay it. they just advised on the call they are taking it further. the company i worked for was a bank. most of the customers are in depth. i worked for the arrears department. people were in behind thousands and they have not brought these to court? why would they bring me for 2500 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Because you owe them 2500 and they want it back !

It is also very likely different departments dealing with Customer debt and Payroll over payments.

I know of a couple of cases where Employers sued to get back money owed and the employer won in every case I know.In each case a hefty costs bill was awarded too.

I would contact your employer explain you do not have the money available now and offer a payment plan that you can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP you are easy pickings. If you are behind on your mortgage, there is MARP and all the other BS policies in place. Which make it near impossible to repossess a house. You could be 2 years behind on your mortgage and be getting a letter every so often. But you on the other hand are different. They can easily look for their money back. If you are with a foreign bank, the chances are they might be leaving Ireland soon, so I would drag it out and hope it goes away.

But if its an Irish bank. Try a get a manageable payment plan in place.By manageable make it the smallest amount possible for years. If you are unemployed or in a low income job. Try and get them to reduce the amount you have to pay back eg 70 cents for €1 you owe. Although some people would say they paid you it accidentally and therefore you should pay it back in full. The chances are they probably only expect you to pay back a proportion of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

It's not your money. You should repay it. If you can't repay a lump sum propose a repayment plan which is in line with your current circumstances. If things are tight at them moment, start with a small amount and explain you will increase payments when your circumstances improve. It was your employers mistake but it is their money.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Bum Bum

workingboy wrote: »
    but what can they do if i do nt pay is my question?

Put you in jail as a thief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

There is no need to pretend to be innocent. We all know you were 100% aware they overpaid you before they contacted you.

They made a mistake and you want to keep their money. You are asking us if you will get away with it.

WTF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

How on earth did you not realise you'd gotten an extra months pay? I don't buy that for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

workingboy wrote: »
    the p45 was issued and it said the money was correct the revenue said nothing they can do since they issued the incorrect p45.

Revenue said that there is nothing that Revenue can do.

That does not mean there is nothing the company can do.

When they get the money back from you, they should find a way to amend your P45. If you don't pay it back in this tax year, then most probably you will pay tax on it, as well as paying the money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Make sure that they are only asking for the net amount back. They should be able to reclaim the tax portion from the revenue if they made a mistake.

i spoke to my new employer on this and they advised that yes i should pay it back but i do not have to it is my decision they said yes they may pursue but that just means ask for it and if i refuse not much that can be done. they made a big mistake issuing the p45. if they had of withheld the p45 they would of had a bargaining tool but without it not much they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Revenue's got nothing to do with it. They just collect tax.

If there was an error on your pay slip, you might need to ask them for some refunds though if they taxed you on that amount and are now returning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder would you do it the same if the new employer made a similar mistake

Advertisement