Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griselinia cuttings

• 10-10-2013 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is it possible to cultivate griselinia cuttings in water?

I've planted some cuttings (with rooting compound) in rooting compost which I'll keep in a warm enough spot over the winter.

And have also put some directly into the soil but I'm not hopeful of them taking.

Also, is there a big difference between heel and slip cutting cultivation?

I've read previous threads and there appears to be a sort of hit-and-miss result whatever the approach taken and location. (I'm on north west coast).

Any advice of successful outcomes appreciated...

Also, is there another hedging plant that I might try cuttings with?

I can always buy young plants, but I'm really keen to see if I can get any success with cuttings...

Many thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Never tried griselinia but i dont really like them anyway. very standard normal average hedge here in suburbia. I have cultivated green and variagated privet with an 80 percent success rate and now i have a hedge all the way around my property. mind you it took years to get to a decent height and spread. I severely pruned it back after every spring to encourage growth at the base to thicken it out. anyhoo. i took about 10 - 15 cuttings just below a leaf node in April/May although it works from Arpil to july. it could work in autumn but i never tried it. i doubt it. i dipped them in rooting powder and put them in individual pots and put a transparent sandwich bag over each one held with elastic. i was dying to check them every week but i bit my tongue and wauted exactly 4 weeks from cutting and most of them had roots. once they have roots you can take the bags off and let them go for it. i now have a hedge with 6 green, 6 variagated, 6 green, 6 variagated, 6 green, 6 variagated and so on. its a nice mixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No reason why semi ripe cuttings wouldn't work at this time of year although earlier would have been better. I use a 50/50 mix of peat and sand/grit, 3/4 cuttings in a 3" pot. Cut the stem of a 4" cutting directly below a leaf node and trim off all but the top 2 or 3 leaves, pinch out any soft growth at the very tip of the stem, water and put in a propagator somewhere light but out of the sun, keep the surface of the compost clean of dead leaves etc and watch for fungus growth. Should root in about 4/6 weeks, once the roots are established prick them out into individual pots of potting compost and grow on.
    Whips are a far easier proposition but fair play for wanting to have a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Cheers folks, that's Saturday sorted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Update: And advice:

The cuttings I planted indoors, in pots with compost and covered by clear plastic bag.

Most of them are still creating a lot of moisture against the plastic bag, presumably transpiration?

Should I leave them as they are, if so for how long? Or do they need planted out?

Thanks

Advertisement