Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Control Unit transporting animals to Wales?

• 10-10-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I know this has been addressed here before but does anyone know of organisations besides <snip> that bring dogs to the UK for rehoming specifically in Wales? I'll explain why I'm asking.

Two weeks ago my dog Ella was removed from my home that I live in with my mother. She bit my mom badly on the hand. Ella bit without warning which came as a massive shock.

I felt awful for what Ella did - even saying that doesn't seem like enough to convey how I felt. The responsibility weighed on me and I felt torn as I was raging and very upset at Ella for what she did to my mother who was so good to her but yet I still loved her. She has always had behavior problems which I have tried to deal with - I spent a lot of time in training with her but in vain. She did have one of the most important things though: a good and loving home. Still when I brought in a new pup Charlie recently her behavior worsened. Before this I don't think she would have ever bitten my mother.

My mom understandably wanted Ella gone, no question about it. She called the local SPCA who took Ella, she has a friend there involved in the organization. Her friend organised for the inspector to come and remove the dog from our home. I neither objected nor gave my blessing, I couldn't cope with the fear of losing Ella and just couldn't take action then and there. In hindsight it was my responsibility and I should have taken the action myself. But I couldn't. I'd had her since she was 4 weeks old and as troubled as she was I loved her and always made sure she was contented and happy. She was an animal but she was my family too. And since I'd lost my father to Alzheimer's 9 months previously the thought of losing another I loved was heart breaking. So hand on heart I was being selfish about it.

On Thursday 26/9 the inspector arrived unannounced. He handed some forms to my mum to sign and tried to get Ella on a leash. I was standing there, visibly upset, not crying but the inspector asked me to leave the room as he said Ella was picking up on my emotions. The next thing I saw was Ella being dragged out of the house. I could hear her howling in the van he put her in. Her toys she loved were left behind. I never got to say goodbye. That's the part that kills me.

I'm very torn between letting her go and trying to get her back and move from my mothers (I'm only just back from working abroad briefly and had to give up my residence so I'm living there for a short while) because I would never let her near my mom again. I also spoke with her trainer about bringing her back and he thinks I've no hope in hell but he would work with us. Despite the chances I have I can't rid myself of the compulsion to search for her.

When I tried to locate her - which took a while because (major slap on the wrist for me) she didn't have a chip or licence (my other dog does) but I found she was in Wales. But not where.
    I know in my heart I need to let her go but I'm not in the place yet. She was there through a lot of tough times. I am lucky in the sense that I have another beautiful pup to love. And I don't want it to sound as if she was more important than my mom or her injury. As I said to someone recently, I'm not thinking straight. But I still want to try and search.

So sorry for the rambling on, but if anyone knows of another organisation that transport dogs or shelters in Wales (aside from <snip> which I've tried) I would be appreciative.

Mod note: as per the forum charter, please don't post on thread re specific named rescues. If anyone can help the op, please advise re rescue groups by pm.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

PatsyStone wrote: »
    I found she was in Wales. But not where.

Can I ask how you found out she was transported to Wales?Through the SPCA?

The fact that she made it out of the country, means they or another rescue would have had to have put a lot of time, effort,money and organisation into getting her out and safe in the UK,so I sincerely doubt they will in anyway shape or form help you get her back.

I know I sound harsh, but you have (or your mother has) surrendered all legal rights to your dog by signing the Inspectors papers so unless you ask the inspector themself or ask the SPCA which rescues(s) are working with them I'm not sure what else you can do. If you know she's alive and safe that's the main thing. If she's been rehomed in the UK, there is no way unfortunately you would be able to get her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

I was told by one of the inspectors who had permission to tell me vaguely where she was. They had been under the impression that it was my mom's dog which is why they dealt with her. I wouldn't expect their help past what they've already said - as they said to me "she's one of the lucky ones." And I know he's right considering how many dogs are PTS here. But I'm having a mix of logical thinking and heartbreaking frustration which is making it difficult for me to let go.

I understand what you're saying about my chances and you don't sound harsh at all, the reality is I probably won't get her back. It would be nice to know she ended up with a loving family and happy at the very least - not even where she ended up but that some good people took her. I'm trying all the Welsh centres some of whom have responded to tell me they don't have her. I guess I'm hoping to narrow down my list a bit by posting here.

Mod - my apologies for naming. My bad. Perhaps instead I could ask if there is a specific area in Wales they go to and not ask for names if that would be OK? Or PM as you suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Oh, ok, so it was a Pound and not a SPCA shelter. I was a bit confused on that one.

To be honest this is what you should be taking on board
    PatsyStone wrote: »
    they said to me "she's one of the lucky ones." .

I've worked in Pounds for over 2 and a half years now and without a shadow of a doubt, your dog was incredibly lucky. As a surrender and a dog with a bite history, I'm really amazed that she made it out at all, so there was one good rescue involved there.

Genuinely, the only advice I can give you is I think you need to let this go and be very grateful and relieved that she's gotten a second chance in the UK.

Edit: I'm still not sure if it was a Pound or not which you had stated before you edited your post.

Advertisement