Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking Europe: How long: What Budget??

• 10-10-2013 10:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

I was thinking about doing a backpacking tour through Europe. My mam doesn't seem too keen on the idea. Obviously, being 21, I am my own man :P I know she's just concerned for me :P

I want to travel alone, because most of my friends either have no money or else they only want to do the scummy holidays like going and getting pissed and off their faces. Hence my willingness for travelling alone.

[1] Before I go on my spiel about where exactly I want to go, can someone tell me if they have ever traveled alone or considered travelling alone or would travel alone / know anyone who traveled alone and what is their thoughts on it?

Anyway, back on topic.

Option 1: If you look at the attachment, I was thinking about starting off with a one-way flight to Copenhagen and taking the route you see on the map.

Option 2: Start off in Tallinn and Continue the route you see (without Scandinavia).

Option 3: Start off in Bratislava, head into Vienna, into Czech Republic and then Poland and fly back from there.

[2]What would you recon the budget would be for each of the routes??

[3] Is it wise to just just hop on a one way flight with a few grand in my card and just bum around Europe for a month?? Would 3 grand be enough?? I am considering buying a one way flight, pop 3 grand on my card and away I go and I will get home somehow.

[4] Is it wise to do this with no specific travel plan??

I have numbered a few questions that I would like answered ... sorry if it looks like a teacher giving a child homework :P I just need clear answers to questions and not a half-arsed After Hours-esque response :P

Thank you fellow travellers :P

Pic won't upload .. boohoo :(

Route is Dublin to Copenhagen to Sweden to Norway Back across to Sweden then into Finland then Estonia, then Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Austria and finally Czech Republic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

As regards travelling alone, it's the best experience ever and you won't regret it. I did it in South America and met people at every place I went to. It's whatever you want it to be at all times. You can go on a pub crawl and get smashed and try pulling at night, or you can just sit in a town square and read a book with a coffee in the afternoon. If you're on your own, you're far more likely to approach people in hostels but you're also far more likely to be approached by others who are alone too, and there will be plenty of them. Even if you're exceptionally introverted, most decent hostels organise tours/pub crawls/drinking games and you'll meet plenty of people that way. If you're after a bit of laugh and want to chase women and all that, pick bigger hostels with a good score on hostelworld, pick a massive dorm room and you'll be sorted.

As regards budget, my best advice would be to pick how much time you want to spend and budget for the number of days. How much you need for each day depends on how much time you spend in each place, ie a hostel in Budapest is probably half the price of a hostel in Vienna and drink and everything else will be too. So if you spend five days in Vienna, I would be thinking at least 40 euro a day (before alcohol!) so that's 200 at least just for food & accom. the same amount would get you further in Budapest.

My last bit of advice: Go Eastern Europe but skip Bratislava and Slovakia altogether. It's boring and a kip. Go to Budapest instead; it's slightly more expensive but WAY more fun in almost every way and very commutable to/from Vienna. I've not seen Copenhagen but Eastern Europe is cheap relative to Ireland and Scandanavia and if it's fun rather than nice pictures you're after, Eastern Europe's the place to go. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Agree travelling alone is the best craic ever, you will meet so many people of all nationalities an cultures. Head to Eastern Europe, it's way more fun and cheaper plus might be controversial but you will meet more interesting people.

I done this route last summer in 3 weeks, Munich - Lake Bled - Ljubljana - Pula - Zagreb - Belgrade - Budapest - Bratislava - Prague - Berlin

Lake Bled is amazing if your heading in the summer. I agree with the last poster you can skip Bratislava (Boring), instead I should have went to Sarajevo instead.

As for a plan, best to have an idea what you want to do but don't go booking all your hostels. Best to stay flexible, you can book hostels the day before you get to a city.

If you only have a month, I think you would be better booking a flight home from somewhere, if you book a flight at the last minute it will cost you a fortune. I booked one way flight to Munich & then a flight home from Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i see your point in travelling alone. my friends would also be the same as yours. problem is i haven't travelled alone before.currently saving money up for a trip

Advertisement