Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about all the "What to do in Dublin" questions

Options
  • 10-10-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey,

I've noticed a lot of questions on this thread are about what to do for a weekend in Dublin, what to do with a family, where to eat etc.

I know yelp, dublin event guide, le cool, entertainment.ie etc have this info. So why don't people check out these sites?

Is it a case of not knowing about them or is there just no go-to site that clearly answers 'what is there do in this city'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

meisme wrote: »
    Hey,

I've noticed a lot of questions on this thread are about what to do for a weekend in Dublin, what to do with a family, where to eat etc.

I know yelp, dublin event guide, le cool, entertainment.ie etc have this info. So why don't people check out these sites?

Is it a case of not knowing about them or is there just no go-to site that clearly answers 'what is there do in this city'?

People want other peoples opinion on a non biased site like boards.

Boards has so many users it's very difficult for a hotel or event or attraction to come on and blow their own trumpet - over exaggerating their high points without another user who has experience calling them up on it. Trip advisor, event guides etc can be influenced or bought space in so it's not like boards in that sense I think you can trust boards more. That's my feeling but le cool is class for weekly events but I imagine it's more aimed at residents of our city comparded to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If posters used the forum search function they would probably find the info that they were looking for. Well maybe 50% of the time.

We did try to contain the various searches into topical threads, but the posters weren't too keen. The city is dynamic & info becomes stale/out of date quite quickly in some cases.

Also, the regular posters like to offer the most up to date info & can provide very specific responses to queries.

So, while these forums really are for discussion, they are also a source of info to requests for specific info.

A big shout out from me & the Dublin City mods to all the locals who are happy to provide great advice again & again to the many, many calls on their local knowledge.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 meisme

Thanks for the great replies. Yeah guess it's easier to ask and get a 'fresh' collection of recommendations.

Still feel there's a gap in the market for someone to serve up a useful list of great things to do in this city week by week. Le cool are cool (obviously) but 'cause their niche is art & alternative they miss out on all the other events. Visit Dublin misses the mark too as they're the opposite of Le cool - targeting visitors.

Someone ought to mix all of the above- throw in Totally Dublin too - into one event aggregator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, the event aggregators are, in the main, shíte.

messy, amateurish websites that start off with good intentions, but fall into disarray and completely stop updating

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sparky1981

Trip advisor is normally a good broad ranging site.

• Advertisement

yeah, the event aggregators are, in the main, shíte.

messy, amateurish websites that start off with good intentions, but fall into disarray and completely stop updating

Ha, that's been my experience too. Not to pick on any but take whatsonin.ie. Problem is when you look for something 'This Weekend' it pulls up an exhibition on postage stamps or whatever that's been running since January.

They need better filtering to show the user what's on just this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

I also think it has to do with sheer laziness. You often see questions on boards that if they were entered into google would have been answered by the the first returned search.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I also think it has to do with sheer laziness. You often see questions on boards that if they were entered into google would have been answered by the the first returned search.
    Like where to buy a screwdriver? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

(1) The advantage of boards.ie for questions like this is that it’s mostly frequented by people who actually live in the city. People are always (and appropriately) looking for tips apart from those available on general tourist sites, in the hope of finding that hidden gem known only to the locals.

(2) Regarding the usefulness of previous threads on the topic: as has already been mentioned, things change very quickly in Dublin. Think of all the businesses which have closed since the economic crisis, for example, and the new things which have replaced them.

Cheers,

Ac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

correct. One of the best things about this site is you can type site:boards.ie swimming pool rathmines

or whatever into google and you'll get a good amount of first-hand info. Some will be dated but that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Thanks for the great replies. Yeah guess it's easier to ask and get a 'fresh' collection of recommendations.

Still feel there's a gap in the market for someone to serve up a useful list of great things to do in this city week by week. Le cool are cool (obviously) but 'cause their niche is art & alternative they miss out on all the other events. Visit Dublin misses the mark too as they're the opposite of Le cool - targeting visitors.

Someone ought to mix all of the above- throw in Totally Dublin too - into one event aggregator.

completely agree with you here.

There is so much going on in Dublin all of the time, but really to get a picture of it all, you need to be looking at about 10 to 15 sites :eek:

I actually think the best one is www.dublineventguide.com

its updated each week and is a bigger library of events than any of the others I am aware of. though still it only carries a percentage of what is actually going on :)

Main ones I look at are www.entertainment.ie www.totallydublin.ie www.lecool.ie www.dublintown.com www.publin.ie www.yelp.ie www.menupages.ie www.sweebe.com www.indublin.ie as well as the event guide mentioned above.

There is definatley a gap in the market for a broader reaching guide that incorporates all of these listings

liffeylite wrote: »
    completely agree with you here.

There is so much going on in Dublin all of the time, but really to get a picture of it all, you need to be looking at about 10 to 15 sites :eek:

I actually think the best one is www.dublineventguide.com

its updated each week and is a bigger library of events than any of the others I am aware of. though still it only carries a percentage of what is actually going on :)

Main ones I look at are www.entertainment.ie www.totallydublin.ie www.lecool.ie www.dublintown.com www.publin.ie www.yelp.ie www.menupages.ie www.sweebe.com www.indublin.ie as well as the event guide mentioned above.

There is definatley a gap in the market for a broader reaching guide that incorporates all of these listings

Ha, OK so we do have choices. Maybe too many, that's the problem! Another one that came up on FB sponsored stories is doindublin.ie. Looks slick but think it's only new. (Edit: Actually has an easy way to submit events, too. Something most sites lack).

A site that had weekly events AND top 10 places to do [whatever] would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The forum has been ruined - in my humble opinion - compared to its heyday by all those questions.

Do people really need on a forum how to get a bus 3 or 4 miles across the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ha, OK so we do have choices. Maybe too many, that's the problem! Another one that came up on FB sponsored stories is doindublin.ie. Looks slick but think it's only new. (Edit: Actually has an easy way to submit events, too. Something most sites lack).

A site that had weekly events AND top 10 places to do [whatever] would be perfect. Something like this: http://www.weekendnotes.co.uk/london/

and http://totallydublin.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I agree that "What should I do in Dublin" questions are essential for up to date information given the many casually updated event guides. However my issue is with the overly generic subject lines.

Perhaps if when someone posted a new Thread, Boards.ie displays a confirmation message first. That would inform the poster to check their subject line to be sure it is detailed and to the point.

While it comes off as lazy to post to Boards.ie before doing a simple Google search, it is inconsiderate to post a topic such as "Looking for a pub this weekend" or "Need a restaurant suggestion" for example. The same thing happens often on the Travel board, where posts may be of the "Where should I go for the bank holiday" in the subject line.

There are so many wonderful/knowledgeable/helpful people active on this board. New "What to do" threads should show respect for their time by providing a specific and answerable question.

my two cents... ;)

Advertisement