Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School Teaching subject choice

Options
  • 10-10-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I have a passion for languages and I like science. I want to become a secondary school teacher but I know that it can be hard to find positions sometimes judging on subjects.

I was either going to do a

Language course (UL/UCD) - French and Spanish and (German or Irish) undecided on the last bit
    Arts - English/French
    OR
    Science - Biology and Chem and Junior Cert Maths

Which would i have a better chance of finding a job with
    Or would you recommend other subjects
    I'm open to subject idea's, I just know that I really want to do secondary teaching

Which would have more opportunities for teaching positions 18 votes

Biology, Chem and J.C maths
    0%
    French, German, Spanish
    27%
    evolving_doorsdart1980seavillDoris300daviecronin 5 votes
    French, Irish, Spanish
    0%
    English and French
    72%
    doryRebelheartMiss LockhartsolerinaCrazyteacheraratsarse101Geologyrocksthefasteriwalkejak1teacherheadcnn27thecomet131spanner 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

French, German, Spanish
    BlueCat01 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a passion for languages and I like science. I want to become a secondary school teacher but I know that it can be hard to find positions sometimes judging on subjects.

I was either going to do a

Language course (UL/UCD) - French and Spanish and (German or Irish) undecided on the last bit
    Arts - English/French
    OR
    Science - Biology and Chem and Junior Cert Maths

Which would i have a better chance of finding a job with
    Or would you recommend other subjects
    I'm open to subject idea's, I just know that I really want to do secondary teaching

If you want to go the popularity route ..
    Science..
    Biology chem (dunno what you mean by JC maths! )...maybe check out if any of the maths modules in the science course would give you credits towards getting a maths degree..(which you might complete part time subsequently!).
    Is it a pure degree then another 2 years Pgde? Or a two in one course like a bachelor of science in in education? I think UL do the latter..

Like the Poll idea above...you definitely have the science brain ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

All of the languages other than Irish are fairly heavily over-subscribed as far as I'm aware as is biology.
    If the teaching council start cracking down on unqualified maths teachers then there ought to be a lot of opportunities there in the not too distant future I would think. Still a fair few jobs for chemistry graduates in general as far as I know (relative to most other areas anyway) but not too many for chemistry teachers as there doesn't tend to be that high an uptake. I'd recommend a chemistry/physics/maths combination personally. Couple that with a good standard of Irish and you'll become very employable in Gaelcholáistí at least.

Advertisement