Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Bike maintenance top tip.

Before taking the headset apart trying to fix nasty noises from it, check if the quick release on the front wheel is tight enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Just pulled the trigger on a Rose Pro SL 2000

The wait for it to arrive is going to be agonising.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

furiousox wrote: »
    Back on the bike 12 weeks after breaking it.
    Would have thought they could have sourced him a new one a bit quicker than that....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

2015 models available for order on the Canyon website.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/series/ultimate-cf-sl.html

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    Assos really started messing me up when they started producing specific left and right socks ....
    Even Lidl did that with their last batch.

(I find myself cycling to work along Turvey Avenue and wondering if I've put them on the correct feet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Hmm, often wondered who that guy was that kept checking his feet out on Turvey. Made me so nervous, I only go the Hearse Road now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Anyone know if PlanetX follow the typical bike release season? Really considering holding out a few months to get an RT-57.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Allegedly unstealable bicycles

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how-to/blog/the-bike-that-cant-be-stolen-17113930?%3Fsrc=rss

though I can't see why thieves can't just reassemble them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Is it a rule or something with Tiernans CC that all members must cycle in full race gear and bike be kitted out to the nines (including wheels)? Spotted 2 different lads (one yesterday, one this morning) and could have sworn they were doing a short warmup for a race..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Inter-club league is on Thursday nights. So the lad this morning was probably going to go racing straight after work.

Our own club league is on Thursday's too, so I do a "posh commute" those days myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Zyzz wrote: »
    Is it a rule or something with Tiernans CC that all members must cycle in full race gear and bike be kitted out to the nines (including wheels)? Spotted 2 different lads (one yesterday, one this morning) and could have sworn they were doing a short warmup for a race..

I'm not Tiernan's but I commute on full race gear on Wednesday's as our league is on Wednesday nights. I get waaaay more respect/less shoaling from other cyclists in my Lycra/race gear than the usual dress and tights but more anger from traffic :rolleyes:

ETA I don't commute on my track bike. I haven't the balls for that yet. Plus I don't think she'd like how slow we'd have to go to get there and back. It might break her little cycle-y heart altogether!

Question answered I guess. One was on a De Rosa and the other a Colnago..some day..
    gadetra wrote: »
    I'm not Tiernan's but I commute on full race gear on Wednesday's as our league is on Wednesday nights. I get waaaay more respect/less shoaling from other cyclists in my Lycra/race gear than the usual dress and tights but more anger from traffic :rolleyes:

ETA I don't commute on my track bike. I haven't the balls for that yet. Plus I don't think she'd like how slow we'd have to go to get there and back. It might break her little cycle-y heart altogether!

Um, I should hope not. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just back from my regular thursday afternoon spin.
    Its feckin slidey out there today !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Looks like I'll have to give up griping about not having a full time job ..and start griping about being in work all the time.

Farewell impoverished freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Looks like I'll have to give up griping about not having a full time job ..and start griping about being in work all the time.

Congrats. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

latest ad for evans states "when we see 'sale', we read 'upgrade'"

Oh how I laughed.

For some reason I can never read the last post in this thread ob the mobile version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Quick... to the "should've left the credit card at home" thread :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

With our wonderful tax system, experience tells me that it should be just farewell freedom, you will still feel just as impoverished.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

New bike time! ;)

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Quick... to the "should've left the credit card at home" thread :D

Nearly. Luckily I remembered in the nick of time that my wife will now be getting home before me.

A revised online shopping strategy will be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Parcel motel is your friend there. Keep the good (read:expensive) stuff hidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

or get stuff sent to a friends house.. I just ordered a new Garmin and I'm getting it sent to a mates house

Get it sent to work, then you can attach it as your "working late" and then your partner will never even notice when she comments and you say "I have always had disc wheels, how'd you miss that?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The key is to keep the expensive looking stuff hidden.

That Garmin 510 or carbon fibre seat-post. They look pretty cheap ;)

quozl wrote: »
    The key is to keep the expensive looking stuff hidden.

That Garmin 510 or carbon fibre seat-post. They look pretty cheap ;)

I know. I'm currently wearing my ''cheap digital watch'' aka my Suunto Ambit 2S.

I know. I'm currently wearing my ''cheap digital watch'' aka my Suunto Ambit 2S.

Hmm, that's suspiciously triathalon-y, Rollingscone. Is there something that you need to tell us...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

or get stuff sent to a friends house.. I just ordered a new Garmin and I'm getting it sent to a mates house

If you want, you can send stuff to my house.

• Advertisement

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    If you want, you can send stuff to my house.

Send it to my PO box instead ;)

quozl wrote: »
    Hmm, that's suspiciously triathalon-y, Rollingscone. Is there something that you need to tell us...?

You will be receiving a package in the post today. It will contain a single leather glove. I must ask you to smack yourself across the face with it and then send your acceptance to a duel by return.

Also I went for the watch because I also run (with a firm separation of church and state) and still do some stuff in the mountains that makes being able to call up a ten digit grid reference really handy.

Funnily enough I've done no cycling in the last fortnight because the weather has been setting off my stress of the post traumatic variety which makes cycling 1. Risky (taking a corner while doing full motion replay of falling off a rock face is less than ideal) and 2. Miserable.

I have however done a fair amount of running... so the gps-enabled-wrist-shoe fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

You will be receiving a package in the post today. It will contain a single leather glove.....

Shouldn't that be a cycling mit?

You will be receiving a package in the post today. It will contain a single leather glove. I must ask you to smack yourself across the face with it and then send your acceptance to a duel by return.

Also I went for the watch because I also run (with a firm separation of church and state) and still do some stuff in the mountains that makes being able to call up a ten digit grid reference really handy.

Funnily enough I've done no cycling in the last fortnight because the weather has been setting off my stress of the post traumatic variety which makes cycling 1. Risky (taking a corner while doing full motion replay of falling off a rock face is less than ideal) and 2. Miserable.

I have however done a fair amount of running... so the gps-enabled-wrist-shoe fits.

giphy.gif

Zyzz wrote: »
    giphy

It's a necessity for other stuff. I'm not a ''runner'' per se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I get stuff sent to my mates as he lives in UK and flies home every week. As soon as the Swiss post office see any parcel, they add their share onto it before I can pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It's a necessity for other stuff. I'm not a ''runner'' per se.

That's exactly what a runner would say.

That's exactly what a runner would say.

I prefer 'bikeless cyclist'

I prefer 'bikeless cyclist'

See everybody - I told you he was anti-bicycle!

Lynch the witch!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've an issue with shorts length for running. Wearing long shorts looks a bit fredly, or whatever the running equivalent is. You gotta rock the short shorts. But then you have the cycling tan lines, which look slightly ridiculous while running....

I've an issue with shorts length for running. Wearing long shorts looks a bit fredly, or whatever the running equivalent is. You gotta rock the short shorts. But then you have the cycling tan lines, which look slightly ridiculous while running....

Because my knee region is a yfreakish medical laboratory I've learned to wear full or 3/5 length tights at all times.

@Quozl I'll happily love every bike you give me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

c09e50b8be45d439abcc8cbb219dd2bd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was just posting about buying stuff on amazon.co.uk, might be of interest here too. "PM" is parcel motel.

rubadub wrote: »
    I just did a test order there after registering my PM belfast address and it was approved and I got the UK VAT price.

I picked a dvd which was £25.87 When I went to checkout it was £26.52 for the dvd as it went to my default address, when I picked the PM address it dropped to £25.87 again, payment was the same. My invoice address was still in the republic.

There is also the advantage of no longer having the £25 minimum spend to get free postage to Ireland.

In my test the PM fees would be more than the savings.

I also tested another item, a cycling helmet, it was £41.61 but jumped to £51.18. This is since they are zero rated VAT in the UK and still 23% here. it dropped back down with the PM address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

(taking a corner while doing full motion replay of falling off a rock face is less than ideal) .

Is that just a fear you have or did it come close to happening?

Is that just a fear you have or did it come close to happening?

It did happen.

Edit: in case I've misconstrued your question I haven't had a visual flashback on the bike but I've had some pretty distracting symptoms which I can generally rationalise around even if it takes the joy out of cycling, at the moment though I feel sick every time I get a gust of wind and seem to be coursing with adrenaline at least once a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It did happen.

Edit: in case I've misconstrued your question I haven't had a visual flashback on the bike but I've had some pretty distracting symptoms which I can generally rationalise around even if it takes the joy out of cycling, at the moment though I feel sick every time I get a gust of wind and seem to be coursing with adrenaline at least once a day.

Sorry. I didn't mean a flashback as such as I didn't know if it was a fear or a bad memory :/

Did you mention the incident here? Sorry for being nosey but it sounds kind on interesting. You fell off and then went down a rock face? :eek: Doesn't sound nice at all!

Sorry. I didn't mean a flashback as such as I didn't know if it was a fear or a bad memory :/

Did you mention the incident here? Sorry for being nosey but it sounds kind on interesting. You fell off and then went down a rock face? :eek: Doesn't sound nice at all!

It was a rock climbing accident. No bicycles were harmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Manually preparing a cuesheet for 600k audax is a nightmare. I'll be dreaming of maps and google street view for a week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Warning, potentially idiotic newbie question... When I'm in the highest gear or lowest gear there is a low but noticeable noise from the chain as I cycle. Is this just a matter of oiling the chain?

KevIRL wrote: »
    Warning, potentially idiotic newbie question... When I'm in the highest gear or lowest gear there is a low but noticeable noise from the chain as I cycle. Is this just a matter of oiling the chain?
    It really depends. Look down at the derailleur when you're pedalling and see if the chain is visibly rubbing against it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Alek wrote: »
    Manually preparing a cuesheet for 600k audax is a nightmare. I'll be dreaming of maps and google street view for a week...

What Audax are you doing Alek?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement