Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alek wrote: »
    Manually preparing a cuesheet for 600k audax is a nightmare. I'll be dreaming of maps and google street view for a week...

And can I have a copy of the cuesheet?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Manually preparing a cuesheet for 600k audax is a nightmare. I'll be dreaming of maps and google street view for a week...

If you plot it in ridewithgps, you should be able to print off the route sheet.

ror_74 wrote: »

Though you do end up with many more 'turns' than are actually necessary. Every junction seems to get a direction like 'straight on past left turn' or the like. You still end up peering at street view to decide is the direction needed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KevIRL wrote: »
    Warning, potentially idiotic newbie question... When I'm in the highest gear or lowest gear there is a low but noticeable noise from the chain as I cycle. Is this just a matter of oiling the chain?
    When you say "highest" and "lowest", you're not usimg the big ring on the front at the same time as the largest cog on the back, or little ring in conjunction with the smallest cog? That's cross chaining which should be avoided

If that's not the problem your front derailleur may just need a slight adjustment to avoid any chain rub on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

xe3B31U.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

sat here, drinking a nice scotch, trying to find Jacques. It's the little things....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

What Audax are you doing Alek?

M2M via Athlone :)
    And can I have a copy of the cuesheet?...

If everything works out well, it will be publicly available. If not, I'll send you one :)

I've found it doesn't really work because:
    Though you do end up with many more 'turns' than are actually necessary. Every junction seems to get a direction like 'straight on past left turn' or the like. You still end up peering at street view to decide is the direction needed.

There were indeed too many, also I needed to double-check most of them on Street View, as some automatic directions were deceiving. On top of this, there were many junctions skipped by RWGps as technically you are riding straight, but the road strays slightly to the side - this can be easily mistaken by a tired randonneur.

Unfortunately I will not be able to ride it myself in the 40 hour limit this year (health issues :( ) but probably will do the route in October over 3-4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Unfortunately I will not be able to ride it myself in the 40 hour limit this year (health issues :( ) but probably will do the route in October over 3-4 days.

That's a shame - best wishes.

Is this a new Permanent ?

Is this a new Permanent ?

This is the plan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

fed up, should be well into lap the lough now, but sitting here watching sunday brunch instead. flipping body failing and ending up in hospital put paid to my riding for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

fed up, should be well into lap the lough now, but sitting here watching sunday brunch instead. flipping body failing and ending up in hospital put paid to my riding for now

Tune it up. You'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So....already the prospect of an increased income is making me think of how to get rid of it all.

My LBS told me in no uncertain terms that my AKSIUMs are showing their age, and it's always been part of my plan to get some Campy G3 wheels for my Tifosi.

Since I'm not exactly on RTE money Zondas aren't a realistic option so I was thinking of getting a set of Khamsins to replace my Aksiums as my basic/winter wheelset.

They're pretty well reviewed but I don't know if they're inferior or analogous to Aksiums. They're certainly cheaper....if they would feel like a step down from Aksiums...what would be their equal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the deal with segments on strava showing up with completely bananas elevation changes?
    i took the hill up to fourknocks earlier - 83m gain in seven and a half minutes.
    but the small climb out of the naul on the oldtown road (listed as 'R122 Climb') shows a 142m gain in 1m20s, even though the graph shows it's clearly about a 5m rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Have you utilised the 'correct elevation' feature?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see that - according to this strava article:
    The dialogue pops up with a button to "Correct Elevation." This button will only appear for data collected with a Barometric Altimeter, or if a previous automatic elevation correction has failed.
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20965883-Elevation-for-Your-Activity

i wasn't sure if the elevation recorded was embedded in the segment, or gleaned from my GPS data (from a galaxy S5).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

what's the deal with segments on strava showing up with completely bananas elevation changes?
    i took the hill up to fourknocks earlier - 83m gain in seven and a half minutes.
    but the small climb out of the naul on the oldtown road (listed as 'R122 Climb') shows a 142m gain in 1m20s, even though the graph shows it's clearly about a 5m rise.

Segments on Strava are put up with the elevation data from the original ride that recorded it. Phones are shíte at elevation as they have no barometer to help correct spurious GPS readings, plus their gps abilities can also be slightly suspect.....especially the older phones from when Strava first hit the scene. This means some segments have bonkers data that unless strava do some sort of averaging using all data recorded over the segments will remain ridiculous for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Inquitus wrote: »
    Segments on Strava are put up with the elevation data from the original ride that recorded it. Phones are shíte at elevation as they have no barometer to help correct spurious GPS readings, plus their gps abilities can also be slightly suspect.....especially the older phones from when Strava first hit the scene. This means some segments have bonkers data that unless strava do some sort of averaging using all data recorded over the segments will remain ridiculous for the foreseeable.

You can mail support to tell them that the elevation data on a segment is insane and they can fix it.

ah, i assumed that they'd use map elevation data as a sanity check, obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

get some Campy G3 wheels for my Tifosi.

Zondas aren't a realistic option so I was thinking of getting a set of Khamsins to replace my Aksiums as my basic/winter wheelset.
    get the CAMPY scirocco 35's.
    Really superb set of wheels for the money. IMO a good deal better then Khamsins for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bcmf wrote: »
    get the CAMPY scirocco 35's.
    Really superb set of wheels for the money. IMO a good deal better then Khamsins for the money.

What's your thoughts on Zondas bcmf, thinking of picking some up for training / some racing.

• Advertisement

So after being on holidays for a shade under 3 weeks and off the bike for a month I came back on thursday and clocked up 215km since then to shake out the cobwebs.
    When I came home today just about the right side of fooked Mrs bcmf had a cooked brekkie ready (albeit at 1pm) and I was so hungry I ate what I normally turn away and in fact have never eaten it till today.

Black and White pudding.
    Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

What's your thoughts on Zondas bcmf, thinking of picking some up for training / some racing.

Never used them tbh! but they do get rave reviews and I believe they may use loose bearings in the hub as per Chorus/Record.
    But if its for fast training and the odd bit of racing ,on a budget, Scirocco's imo all the way. BTW the Fulcrum Quattro's are the exact same as the Sciricco's (I think).
    I will be upgrading the cartridge bearings in mine in the next few weeks for the winter to fully sealed cartridge bearings for about 20 quid which will in fact make them the Scirocco CX (Fulcrum Quattro CX).

HTH

I read a magazine where they reviewed wheels and the best value wheelset was Novatec own branded wheels and rims but gave a special mention to a newcomer to the road http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-28-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm?setup=347#product-detail
    saying that it ran the £400 (stg) Novatec a close second and the testers rated them very highly (supposedly not knowing the price).
    Will see if I out an online version.
    But at £200 stg !!!!!1

bcmf wrote: »
    I was so hungry I ate what I normally turn away and in fact have never eaten it till today.

Black and White pudding.
    Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.
    you turn it away without ever having tried it?

you turn it away without ever having tried it?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got a pair of Zondas recently and am delighted with them so far. SwimCycleRun had them on special for €320 IIRC.

EDIT: Now €340

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset-with-shimano-hub.html

Walked to the new job today since it's only about a k away and don't know the deal with bike parking.

Getting the beater back on the road ASAP. Walking along the canal is like being trapped on a travelator. I think I have claustrophobia now.

this is the best example i've found yet of cheating on strava.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/2727398

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

"I fcukin floored it Fintan!"

though to be fair, 'cheating' implies he intended to fool people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Doesn't look like a smooth take off either like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Anyone know if PlanetX follow the typical bike release season? Really considering holding out a few months to get an RT-57.

5 days after I emailed them, no response. I guess all the folks on here questioning their service were right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Kinet1c wrote: »
    5 days after I emailed them, no response. I guess all the folks on here questioning their service were right.

Ive a mate who's spent probably 3 months + trying to buy a bike from them. Seems like a bit of a shambles tbh

AltAccount wrote: »
    Ive a mate who's spent probably 3 months + trying to buy a bike from them. Seems like a bit of a shambles tbh

Just happy Eurobike is kicking off on Wednesday, hopefully something decent comes out from Cube.

I lost the run of myself doing the shopping tonight. And now own a matching set of Jersey and Bibs from Lidl...the quality seems surprisingly good.

i got a jersey from lidl - only complaint (only having tried it on for fit) is that the zip sticks into my adam's apple, they make the neckline too high at the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Got my first puncture tonight on my first cycle in the city centre.

I only got my bike defy 3 last week and was living out the country so was cycling out there.

I went over a tiny piece of glass a it went straight through
    I've been looking at gater skins on wiggle what's the deal are they really that good protection from puncture?

I really like the gatorskins. Very few (if any) punctures. Some folks find them slippery when wet. I have no problems with them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Another one to consider is gp4 seasons. I've 5000km on a pair with no punctures and they're I think generally considered to be grippier than the gatorskins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

kenda kritirium used to be standard on defy 4 and they were especially week against punctures. most tyres would be better. gatorskins are a good bit better though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I really like the gatorskins. Very few (if any) punctures. Some folks find them slippery when wet. I have no problems with them...

Cycle faster around some corners in the rain and report back...

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

I once saw a friend slide back most of a metre on gatorskins in the wet while out of the saddle trying to power up Knockmaroon hill.

I once saw a friend slide back most of a metre on gatorskins in the wet while out of the saddle trying to power up Knockmaroon hill.

I hope he wasn't trying this scam on you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055205858

:P

I hope he wasn't trying this scam on you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055205858

:P

He wouldn't have the gurrier skills to cycle odd on a bike that was three sizes too big for him!

Unless his accomplice was a ten year old in jog pants. They seem able to get away on anything up to actual Penny Farthing's regardless of height disparities.

I do, I do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Easterly Wind today. Time to chase some East to West Strava KOMs.

If the wind is the same as it was on my way to work, I'll be hoisting a sail and coasting all the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Anyone order off bike-discount.de? What sort of shipping times do they have?

I do it regularly and have had no problems..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

What's the opposite of a KOM - I'm fairly sure I'll be a contender for whatever it is on the way home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Got my first puncture tonight on my first cycle in the city centre.

I only got my bike defy 3 last week and was living out the country so was cycling out there.

I went over a tiny piece of glass a it went straight through
    I've been looking at gater skins on wiggle what's the deal are they really that good protection from puncture?

I was plagued with punctures so I bought durano s from schaulbe . Can't fault them so far

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement