Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

Can anyone tell me what these posts under the rear brake are used for?

Cheers Aaron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mr X15 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what these posts under the rear brake are used for?

Cheers Aaron.

You referring to the small screw? That's for adjusting each brake shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Thinkbike have a good workshop I think you can take it as a given that there'll be adequate grease on the parts that need it.

A bottle of Fenwicks wet lube will do you for the coming wet-dark times. It's equally important to keep the bike clean, whereas in the not too distant past a novitiate Rollingscone used to wreck his drive trains with a combination of too little cleaning and too much lube.

Wiping the bike down with a rag and a baby wipe in the evening when you get home will save you a ton of grief, just drip lube onto the inside of the chain links every couple of days and wipe off the excess.

If the drive train is currently manky degreaser will be your friend.

Thanks for that info, a chain cleaner might also be worth looking at then - there's a good few kits knocking around, most of which are relatively cheap. In future I want to avoid huge service fees like this so I must get my hands on all the right tools, learn to use them and really get to know the servicing involved inside out like so many people here.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    You referring to the small screw? That's for adjusting each brake shoe.

Sorry should have been more specific I'm talking about the hex bolts going into the seat stay on the other side to the brake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mr X15 wrote: »
    Sorry should have been more specific I'm talking about the hex bolts going into the seat stay on the other side to the brake.
    Possibly for a full mudguard attachment bracket?

(Looks like a Trek 7.1FX?)

• Advertisement

Possibly for a full mudguard attachment bracket?

(Looks like a Trek 7.1FX?)

Haha very good it's a trek 7.3 yeah, odd place for a mudguard attachment point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

In hospital at the moment. Getting this carbon/titanium heart upgrade done. Recovery diary should be interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

clog wrote: »
    In hospital at the moment. Getting this carbon/titanium heart upgrade done. Recovery diary should be interesting.

Gosh best of luck with it. At least there win't be too much of a mechanical weight penalty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Garzard wrote: »
    Thanks for that info, a chain cleaner might also be worth looking at then - there's a good few kits knocking around, most of which are relatively cheap. In future I want to avoid huge service fees like this so I must get my hands on all the right tools, learn to use them and really get to know the servicing involved inside out like so many people here.

to be honest if thats all the bike cost you over 2 years you got off pretty cheap, once year if your riding a lot you will have change bits and pieces, learn to do as much as you can yourslef i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Spotted a girl last week cycling along wearing a neck brace. Not sure if she was brave or stupid.

Reminded me of 'psycho-hose-beast' Stacy from Wayne's World.........

stacy_WW_003_1196140764.jpg

stacy_waynesworld_004_1196140838.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

clog wrote: »

Mechanical doping at its finest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Ha ha! Blame the brits! Sure, they only left yesterday. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    Ha ha! Blame the brits! Sure, they only left yesterday. :pac:

They are spot on about the lack of outdoor cafes. We have such a disadvantage when compared to mainland Europe with all the squares, etc that they have. They are so much more people and family friendly than here. Of course, we can blame your lot for that!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    They are spot on about the lack of outdoor cafes. We have such a disadvantage when compared to mainland Europe with all the squares, etc that they have. They are so much more people and family friendly than here. Of course, we can blame your lot for that!
    Dublin square built before we left:

Flickr_trialsanderrors_Saint_Stephen_s_Gree.jpg

Dublin square built after we left:

The_Square_large_JPG_picture_79507.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A plastic cover is not a good idea outdoors as it will trap moisture on the bike. You're better off with some kind of roof and sides with open ends so the bike stays dry but air can circulate.
    If you don't have room for a mini shed/box: http://www.topeak.com/products/StorageAndDisplay/Bike_Cover_Road

The material is more like a tent than like tarpaulin, in other words it breathes and doesn't trap moisture. In heavy rain of course some wet gets through, but it keeps the bike from being completely exposed. Only your saddle, bars and tyres get wet, the rustable bits stay nice and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Lumen wrote: »

Dublin square built after we left:

[/IMG]

My dad maintains it's only called the square cause people in tallaght can't spell pyramid........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hey guys quick mechanical question. So when I'm in the small ring and switch to the biggest gear on the back ring the gears make an clicking type of sound. As if they are trying to change gear again. This doesn't happen if I'm on the big ring in the front. Any ideas as to whats going on and how to fix it? Cheers.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

By biggest gear do you mean smallest sprocket? If so you are cross-chaining which should generally be avoided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

My bike is doing that thing where, when you backpedal the pedals go round but the chain just sags, and when you start cycling first there's a bit of frantic whirling before the chain actually connects. Can't for the life of me remember what I need to do with it. Tighten up the gear cable? (I really want a bike with hug gears, have never in 60 years of cycling got the hang of derailleurs.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Beasty wrote: »
    By biggest gear do you mean smallest sprocket? If so you are cross-chaining which should generally be avoided

Yes smallest sprocket. I like all this mechanic kind of stuff. Thanks. Should I try and fix it or just leave it and avoid cross chaining. If its a fix job how would I go about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Probably not fixable. If you stop it rubbing on that gear then it will rub on the lowest gear instead. Which is one you're more meant to be using with the small chain ring.

Many road shifters have trim adjust which lets you shift the front derailleur a fraction which allows you to use that gear without chain rub. Check if your shifters have it and how to set it up if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

My bike is doing that thing where, when you backpedal the pedals go round but the chain just sags, and when you start cycling first there's a bit of frantic whirling before the chain actually connects. Can't for the life of me remember what I need to do with it. Tighten up the gear cable? (I really want a bike with hug gears, have never in 60 years of cycling got the hang of derailleurs.)

Hug gears sound lovely.

Have you got a chain checker QM? It 'could' be a derailleur issue but I'd start by checking for chain wear/ stiff links etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the most ludicrously engineered piece of cycle lane i've seen in a while.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3708228,-6.2339813,3a,75y,81.81h,57.54t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAI_3_JBf-4AgAbs-953kTA!2e0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Bastard dogs, always have to appear just as your busting a ****ing lung going up a climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

this is the most ludicrously engineered piece of cycle lane i've seen in a while.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3708228,-6.2339813,3a,75y,81.81h,57.54t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAI_3_JBf-4AgAbs-953kTA!2e0
    Looks like it'll be a bit of fun in the autumn. What's hiding under the leaves? Dog ****? Glass? Pot holes? Small woodland creatures? The suspense is all part of the fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for whatever reason, they don't want you pulling out to pass the parked cars at your own pace - they know it's safest to force you into a last minute double swerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My bike is doing that thing where, when you backpedal the pedals go round but the chain just sags, and when you start cycling first there's a bit of frantic whirling before the chain actually connects. Can't for the life of me remember what I need to do with it. Tighten up the gear cable?
    Does the chain sag when freewheeling also? Probably a stiff freewheel/freehub.

would the BB in this bike be a sealed one? it was originally bought 12 years ago, and sporadically used, but i had a clicking noise (not definitely linked to the BB), dropped it into the LBS who promised they'd remove it and pack it with grease.
    the clicking hasn't gone away though, and a colleague mentioned it's probably a sealed unit, which would imply it can't be regreased, which might imply the LBS strung me along.

as mentioned though, the clicking may not even be coming from the BB, but only happens during pedalling, so i need to check the pedals next..

• Advertisement

Wheels on new road bike running slightly out of true after a 30km spin?

Just bedding in or do I need to be ultra paranoid about bumps?

ronoc wrote: »
    Wheels on new road bike running slightly out of true after a 30km spin?

Just bedding in or do I need to be ultra paranoid about bumps?

What wheels?

What wheels?

Bontrager Tubeless Ready

Hug gears sound lovely.

Have you got a chain checker QM? It 'could' be a derailleur issue but I'd start by checking for chain wear/ stiff links etc.

Heh, hug gears do sound lovely! Hub, obv. Nicer when cycling in traffic because you can change gears when stopped, which is often what you want to do in city traffic, unlike country cycling where you're motoring along and need an up or down change.

What's a chain checker?
    Does the chain sag when freewheeling also? Probably a stiff freewheel/freehub.

I don't think the chain sags when freewheeling. This problem seems only to happen when I'm starting a cycle.

The reason I wonder if it's related to the gears is that the gears seem most reluctant to change at all (I use, or rather seldom-if-ever-use, those levers that pull a cable to change gears, not the kind that actually say 1, 2, 3, etc on them and work from the handlebars). And the cable to the derailleur is rather loose and saggy. Mostly I don't change gear at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

would the BB in this bike be a sealed one? it was originally bought 12 years ago, and sporadically used, but i had a clicking noise (not definitely linked to the BB), dropped it into the LBS who promised they'd remove it and pack it with grease.
    the clicking hasn't gone away though, and a colleague mentioned it's probably a sealed unit, which would imply it can't be regreased, which might imply the LBS strung me along.

as mentioned though, the clicking may not even be coming from the BB, but only happens during pedalling, so i need to check the pedals next..

I recently had a clicking/rattling sound when pedalling which I assumed was the bearing in BB gone. dropped it into LBS. When I collected it they told me the noise was coming from my headset. I was pretty skeptical initially, but sure enough the clicking sound has gone away, it seems i just misheard where it was coming from while cycling along. I have no idea why pedalling caused a rattle from there but anyway there you go.

did you need a new headset?

• Advertisement

@qualitymark a chain checker is a simple cheap tool that measures chain wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

did you need a new headset?

nope, they just cleaned it out and greased it up, no parts were required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't think the chain sags when freewheeling. This problem seems only to happen when I'm starting a cycle.

The reason I wonder if it's related to the gears is that the gears seem most reluctant to change at all (I use, or rather seldom-if-ever-use, those levers that pull a cable to change gears, not the kind that actually say 1, 2, 3, etc on them and work from the handlebars). And the cable to the derailleur is rather loose and saggy. Mostly I don't change gear at all.
    I'd be inclined to say a thorough cleaning and lubing of dearilleur, cables, inners and chain to start with. Then see how things are and, if that's not enough, start replacing cables/chain/derailleur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Beautiful out in Dublin atm, thank The Lord for shift work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alek wrote: »
    Ah, another addition to th'oul ignore list after a clever-clever answer to a polite question.

Smart Alek ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I know, I know, bad me. It wasn't my friendliest or most helpful post ever, but I guess since I'm in Qualitymark's ignore list already, its too late for apologies.:o

I know, I know, bad me. It wasn't my friendliest or most helpful post ever, but I guess since I'm in Qualitymark's ignore list already, its too late for apologies.:o
    It feels a bit strange at first, like being dead. But then you realise that other people can see you. So then it feels a bit like the plot of Ghost Town (or Ghost Dad, I can never tell them apart). Or that one with the weird kid who could see dead people, except there are loads of weird kids and they're all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Hold the pony, you can ignore people??? Master, teach me the ways of this sorcery!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'd be inclined to say a thorough cleaning and lubing of dearilleur, cables, inners and chain to start with. Then see how things are and, if that's not enough, start replacing cables/chain/derailleur.

+1. Its amazing the difference a thorough cleaning of the drivechain makes. If you take off the cassette and freehub for a service as well, you can't go wrong.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Beautiful out in Dublin atm, thank The Lord for shift work ;)

Beautiful day to get stranded with a puncture and **** pump. :mad:

Can anyone recommend where I'd pick up Co2 canisters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

You there Alek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

u2's new album is available for free on iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

lennymc wrote: »
    u2's new album is available for free on iTunes.

I'm afraid they'll have to pay me to get it.

Beautiful day to get stranded with a puncture and **** pump. :mad:

Found this: http://co2cartridges.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=269&category=314

seany15 wrote: »
    Hold the pony, you can ignore people??? Master, teach me the ways of this sorcery!!

:)

Click on the person's name, or maybe right-click (ctrl-click/Mac) and it's one of the options. You see their sayings if others quote them, but you don't see the originals, saving you a world of itchy irritation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement