Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Hate stories like this..1 step to the left or right and she'd be still here!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2750409/Spectator-29-dies-hit-mountain-bike-supported-boyfriend-race.html

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Zyzz wrote: »
    Hate stories like this..1 step to the left or right and she'd be still here!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2750409/Spectator-29-dies-hit-mountain-bike-supported-boyfriend-race.html

Harrowing story. I see they raid your social media accounts for photos when you die. One would have been enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd go a step further and posit the rather obvious theory that if they did not have photos, they would not have been interested in the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I'm afraid they'll have to pay me to get it.
    Already deleted. Big old MEH

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

i'd go a step further and posit the rather obvious theory that if they did not have photos, they would not have been interested in the story.

Given the quality of the publication involved, you are probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Canyon are breaking my heart :(

Why are all their CF bikes coming with 52/36 bar the Endurance? Would 52/36 with 11s 11-32 be similar but losing the benefit of the 32t with the small front ring being 36?

Might be time to look at Rose etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lennymc, I did a 10k running race today! He he. Don't tell the bicyclists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Lennymc, I did a 10k running race today! He he. Don't tell the bicyclists!

misc-burn_him.jpg

At least when I do it I'm being chased.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

lennymc wrote: »
    u2's new album is available for free on iTunes.

Gave it a few listens to yesterday. Got better with each one. NLOTH I though was a work of pure cats piss but this new offering I'd say is a proper U2 album. Great stuff.

Anyway semi on/off topic. Got a link from a mate, a chinese manufacturer doing carbon wheels. The links have appeared here regularly. Carbon clincher wheels I know have varied discussion points. Some want them banned (separation at heat) and with the alu rim they come in no lighter than a standard alu set. But these Chinese ones are full carbon clinchers. Any thoughts? Carbon strong enough on the walls to hold the tyre under any stress you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So did a 10k spin this morning before breakfast. ..it was lovely but are spins that short really worthwhile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

So did a 10k spin this morning before breakfast. ..it was lovely but are spins that short really worthwhile?
    Yes. Its better than sitting down eating a fry!
    20 mibs of exercise 1st thing gets the blood movibg and stimulates the metabolism. Its a great way to start the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Do them twice daily at medium-high intensity and they will be :))

(firsthand experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Defo worth it, I do 11/12k in 25-30mins on a commute before breakfast and feel great after it. Good for fat burning purposes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on why you're doing it. if it was to get from point A to point B, and point B is actually 11km away, then it's probably not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Answer is in the question imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Got a new collarbone on Tuesday, and elbow. They're being a bit moany at the minute, but that's been given marching orders. I never knew morphine could be so boring :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

gadetra wrote: »
    Got a new collarbone on Tuesday, and elbow. They're being a bit moany at the minute, but that's been given marching orders. I never knew morphine could be so boring :pac:

Ladies and gents, meet Gadetra, version 2.0, the beta model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

We can re-build, we have the technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

They don't normally need replacing what went wrong?

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend where I'd pick up Co2 canisters?

Found some on swimcyclerun, anywhere else stock em?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

www.cyclesuperstore.ie

jinkypolly wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation, I'd prefer not to give them business though. Poor experience in the past.

Just spotted ThinkBike have some so will swing by there over the next few days.

Read these posts one after the other..confused the hell outta me.. :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They don't normally need replacing what went wrong?
    Nothing went wrong - gadetra is just trying out the latest carbon technology that claims to drop a kg or two

To get under the knife though without being charged privately gadetra did have to go through certain "shenanigans" to initially stake a claim and get to the front of the queue....

Swimcyclerun didn't actually have any I'm my size so I have had to put up with an over-collarbone. Ti actually. A steel fan could never countenance carbon additions :p it's The way of the future ;)
    I'm reinforced in a few places On my left side now, the stiffness of the frame is second to none :D

Swimcyclerun didn't actually have any I'm my size so I have had to put up with an over-collarbone. Ti actually. A steel fan could never countenance carbon additions :p it's The way of the future ;)
    I'm reinforced in a few places On my left side now, the stiffness of the frame is second to none :D

All of which reminds me. I saw a hideous concepty looking white Giant TT outside Lidl in Rathmines. Apparently locked only to itself.

Saw the owner riding past a few minutes later wearing one of those weird rigid backpack things...

Weeeeuhd

helmet.jpg

Scott Thwaites helmet after crashing and being run over by the TV motorcycle..

helmet.jpg

Scott Thwaites helmet after crashing and being run over by the TV motorcycle..
    Read about that in Sam's diary. Apparently he's fine, which is amazing and / but incredible.

Read about that in Sam's diary. Apparently he's fine, which is amazing and / but incredible.

Thankfully he had hi-vis on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

That spongy foam looks like excellent protection :pac:

(it's friday, isn't it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ouch. Poor guy was winning too. Apparently it was the final turn before the line. Looks properly dazed after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seamus Smith has his Race around Ireland up on Strava now. :cool:

http://app.strava.com/activities/193159685

2033kms in 91hr 17m with 18,13m elevation averaging 22.3km/h

Impressive stuff!

(He must have an external charger on the Garmin).

Ayen Payshley has died..

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ian-paisley-former-dup-leader-dies-1.1926854

In other news..

The sticker on Jens 1 hour record bike is amazing. :pac:

ygBBOiK.png

Just spotted ThinkBike have some so will swing by there over the next few days.

Picked these up a while ago, gents to deal with over there. Saddle bag contents now complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I was in a lift with him once in Stormont.
    Just me, him and his bodyguard.
    He spoke..I nodded, or smiled or shook my head....didn't open my mouth once! :D

CPL 593H

Cyclist down at walkinstown roundabout, she looks to be ok. Not sure what happened. Horrific junction, don't even like driving on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I remember when I was learning to drive, the instructor brought me there first time. I literally just put the boot down as I rolled up to it as a convenient gap opened. He wasn't impressed and brought me there every lesson until I took my time and sauntered though comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Saving to change the car has me thinking I need a mtb or cc to explore the rougher trails along the logging roads and windmills around the place :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ayen Payshley has died
    Did she invent the Pashley Princess?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Two lads heading from Black rock to Cashel, stopped and had lunch where I work in KK, if anyone happens to know anyone doing this today, one of them left their phone behind where I work.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Due to a gigantic solar flare detected in the last few days, there's a strong possibility that we'll see Northern Lights in Irish skies tonight, even as far South as Kerry.

If anyone saw an explosion of light and heard a chorus of Angels in Dublin earlier. Not to worry.

That was just Mrs RS taking an inaugural spin on the Wifenbike.

Had a mahoosive argument with this scaldy lookin motorbike rider the whole way down O'Connell street as he thought I broke the red light on the bridge..prior to this he had nearly got himself knocked down 2/3 times, which sort of shows off his poor driving ability!

Finally got to use my "Ill go to your funeral, no actually, I'll go to the dinner after your funeral" line, to which he revved his engine and told me he'd "f*cking kill me"..

The joys of cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Replaced tyres on both wheels with new continental gp4000s tyres and new conti tubes too. 38km into spin around the blessington lakes and I get a blowout in the back tyre. Massive hole on the sidewall threads. Tyre ruined. I was moving at around 26kmph and dont think i hit anything. Is this common for these tyres?
    I never had a blowout before.
    It was inflated to 7 bar. I am 70kg.

Luckily I remembered the 5 euro patch fix which got me home.

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Replaced tyres on both wheels with new continental gp4000s tyres and new conti tubes too. 38km into spin around the blessington lakes and I get a blowout in the back tyre. Massive hole on the sidewall threads. Tyre ruined. I was moving at around 26kmph and dont think i hit anything. Is this common for these tyres?
    I never had a blowout before.
    It was inflated to 7 bar. I am 70kg.

Luckily I remembered the 5 euro patch fix which got me home.
    Only time it happened with me was when the brake block was rubbing the tyre. There are dozens of threads on here with people praising the GFP4000s'. Can't remember anyone having a bad thing to say about them

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Only time it happened with me was when the brake block was rubbing the tyre. There are dozens of threads on here with people praising the GFP4000s'. Can't remember anyone having a bad thing to say about them

Thanks. Brakes were definitely not rubbing.
    I can't explain it. The road surface was fine.
    I bought 10 pairs of these tyres from rose in the sale. 8 of which are currently in use on family and friends bikes. None have issues. I never heard of one blowing before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    Can't remember anyone having a bad thing to say about them
    I bought a pair based on all the positive things I've heard here. I punctured on the first ride (and I rarely get punctures!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Thanks. Brakes were definitely not rubbing.
    I can't explain it. The road surface was fine.
    I bought 10 pairs of these tyres from rose in the sale. 8 of which are currently in use on family and friends bikes. None have issues. I never heard of one blowing before.
    Did you skid at all? I'd a blowout in May, though on the threads, not the sidewall like you. Raam and AstraMonti said similar happened to them.

Did you skid at all? I'd a blowout in May, though on the threads, not the sidewall like you. Raam and AstraMonti said similar happened to them.

Nope. I was just cruising around a corner, wasn't even peddling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Nope. I was just cruising around a corner, wasn't even peddling.

Are edges of the cut "clean"? Might have been a bastardy bottle splinter like this (just smaller)

depositphotos_12872160-broken-bottle-green-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

Happened to my GP4000S.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement