Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Oh for fúck sake :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

gadetra wrote: »
    Oh for fúck sake :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My Edge 500 seems to be going through battery life much more quickly than it used to. It also discharges in a day or two when turned off. Any ideas?

Ta

Nmg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Saw someone cycling down the hard shoulder of the M8 today on their mountain bike. Had a luminous yellow jacket on so I'm sure that makes it much safer :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was in my parent's house over the weekend, and I was dumping out old books and magazines in my bedroom. I found this :pac:

tmp_8903-IMG_20140913_135401483884238_zps7e60489c.jpg

New collarbone! Got a look at some x-rays today. Joint flush of elbow has gone well, it's turning out more bothery than the collarbone having to dress it everyday!
    DSC_0016_zpsf354f74e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

New collarbone! Got a look at some x-rays today. Joint flush of elbow has gone well, it's turning out more bothery than the collarbone having to dress it everyday!
    DSC_0016_zpsf354f74e.jpg

Amy Winehouse - Rehab: http://youtu.be/KUmZp8pR1uc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Good article here by Caley Fretz on Jensie's hour record attempt. He sounds pretty convinced (as am I now) that it's a bit of a sure thing.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/answered-11-questions-jens-voigts-hour-record-attempt_345973

For the millionth time here I'll show my ignorance, but surely with the strength of power meters and whatnot his team would have a very solid idea of how fast he can go? With access to all that data, would Trek and his team be doing such a big publicity push if they thought he wasn't going to beat it?

Cadel Evans is retiring after the Tour Down Under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

DSC_0016_zpsf354f74e.jpg

Is that a tracking device further up the shoulder on its own?

• Advertisement

It was all going so well...my early morning cycle plan was expanding to getting up at 0600 to do the viewpoint lap to be home by 07:30 in order to get ready for work.

Yesterday the other half asked me not to get up early because it was the first day of her new job and she wanted a solid sleep. Fair enough. Grumble grumble no endorphin boost before work.

Mental day in work. I learned that my predecessor just went out for a smoke one day and never came back.

Thinking I'll get in a spin after work. Get a bunch of messages from second job. When I get home Mrs Scone (really not a fair or accurate name for my sitcom protagonist level improbably attractive spouse ) was full of beans telling me about the first day.

Fair enough I'll get up early and get the loop in. Bike and gear out ready to go. Into bed ready to sleep. After ten minutes asleep wake up with a start.

Insomnia. No sleep, no cycle.

Hilaaaaaaaarious :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I guess it's not allowed to say that the Columbia team outfits exemplify misogyny!? If a poster gets a post deleted they should at least get some explanation in pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

slap/dash wrote: »
    I guess it's not allowed to say that the Columbia team outfits exemplify misogyny!? If a poster gets a post deleted they should at least get some explanation in pm.

Posts moved to seperate thread

In fact a few posts about it are now gone. What the actual fcuk?

seany15 wrote: »
    Posts moved to seperate thread

Ok just looked weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Had a rather strange encounter with another cyclist on the grand canal yeterday on my way home. So here goes. I'm cycling along happily enough along the canal heading toward harrolds cross. I see the lights at the rathmines junction changing so stop pedaling and cruise to a stop. This other lad in full club gear (i'll not name the club to save face for the rest of them) pulls up beside me and says: "i won that one!" I'll admit it took me a little bit to take in what he said and when I asked "what?" the lights were about to change and off he bounds in full sprint fashion as if launching a breakaway!!!

Anyone else had any mad random encounter like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Had a rather strange encounter with another cyclist on the grand canal yeterday on my way home. So here goes. I'm cycling along happily enough along the canal heading toward harrolds cross. I see the lights at the rathmines junction changing so stop pedaling and cruise to a stop. This other lad in full club gear (i'll not name the club to save face for the rest of them) pulls up beside me and says: "i won that one!" I'll admit it took me a little bit to take in what he said and when I asked "what?" the lights were about to change and off he bounds in full sprint fashion as if launching a breakaway!!!

Anyone else had any mad random encounter like that?

Was it possible he said it with a sense of iront / tongue in cheek / self micky tak8ng kind of way?

I'll admit there are some bellends about but the speed freaks I've met are a bit aloof / silent types...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Was it possible he said it with a sense of iront / tongue in cheek / self micky tak8ng kind of way?

I'll admit there are some bellends about but the speed freaks I've met are a bit aloof / silent types...

I was thinking that after it. Was he having a laugh or something but his tone and the look on his face kinda gave a dead serious impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've had guys draft me all the way down the Canal on the same stretch and then jump through the lights to ensure a 'win'.

I'm planning a custom jersey that says' relax the head, just going home' on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

daragh_ wrote: »
    I'm planning a custom jersey that says' relax the head, just going home' on the back.

"Relax the cacks, just going back to me gaff" has a better ring to it, should bring in more sales too.

slap/dash wrote: »
    In fact a few posts about it are now gone. What the actual fcuk?

Apologies for not leaving a note here saying where I'd moved the posts, but please pm us - we don't bite! :)

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Is that a tracking device further up the shoulder on its own?

Fully integrated GPS :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Drafted this lad all the way down the canal yesterday, but had the legs at the bunch sprint to beat him and take the win! What a loser right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you can pair ant+ devices with a galaxy s5 never knew that

Been in France less than four hours. Can only come to the conclusion that cyclists and motorists cannot coexist in this habitat. Only solution is eradication. Absolutely bonkers, the whole lot of them..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seany15 wrote: »
    Only solution is eradication. Absolutely bonkers, the whole lot of them..
    french people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Helmetophilia and cyclophobia on Joe Duffy today.

Unfortunately I can't find the helmet thread to post there.

See links on right-hand side of this webpage: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Cycling hear is back next Thursday the 25th in also,
    Bike repair stand and a lot of nice stuff up for grabs!
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/product-news/aldi-cycling-specialbuys-back-september-133612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Helmetophilia and cyclophobia on Joe Duffy today.

Unfortunately I can't find the helmet thread to post there.

See links on right-hand side of this webpage: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

Looking forward to their next dial in on the 30% of people that are killed or seriously injured from car accidents as a result of head injuries."dey shud all be wearin' helmets joe"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the general rule of thumb about how recently you should have eaten before going cycling?
    i'm just back from a 20k spin, mainly around the airport, and i hadn't eaten in 4 hours before heading out. felt like i was at 85% capacity for the run, or else the wind was just constantly in my face. might that be down to not having eaten recently enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

what's the general rule of thumb about how recently you should have eaten before going cycling?
    i'm just back from a 20k spin, mainly around the airport, and i hadn't eaten in 4 hours before heading out. felt like i was at 85% capacity for the run, or else the wind was just constantly in my face. might that be down to not having eaten recently enough?

Personally I find the drop off due to running out of glycogen to be pretty severe when it occurs, far less than 85%.

yeah, i did once hit the wall myself; about 10 or 12 years ago; went out for an hour, and just kept going. only water with me; hit the wall about two and a half hours in, was fairly instantaneous.

french people?

Only the ones who drive/cycle around Paris. Had thought about renting a fatbike for a couple of hours to see the city on Thurs, but having seen the craziness on the roads this evening I will park that one for now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Inquitus wrote: »
    Personally I find the drop off due to running out of glycogen to be pretty severe when it occurs, far less than 85%.
    You don't get glycogen depleted by sitting around for a few hours after eating. It takes effort.

i certainly didn't think that was the issue. was just wondering if there is a link between having eaten recently and being able to pound out a few extra watts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

On Sunday, my housemate went on a 20 mile run after an 18 hour fast*. It's very individual.

(*no, he's not on a high fat or paleo diet.)

was that deliberate, or just happenstance?

was that deliberate, or just happenstance?
    Deliberate. Most of his marathon training is done in the morning fasted. He did this run in the afternoon. It's easier done in the morning after a good sleep. He looks on course to break 3 hours in his first attempt.

Spun out a 53x12 drafting a truck at 70km/h today. That 11 is calling me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zyzz wrote: »
    Spun out a 53x12 drafting a truck at 70km/h today. That 11 is calling me.
    ...from beyond the grave.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    ...from beyond the grave.

I see what you did there.

Got my sciroccos and new tyres Yaaaaaay...realise I only have one spare tube with a long valve stem. Booooo.

Got my Carbon Forks yaaaaaaaay....realise unlike my alu fork the headset is not integrated....boooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

on diet and food, if you keep your heart rate levels out of the higher reaches of your max then you shouldnt eat into anything but small bit of your sugars and burn fat, being honest a banana or bit of fruit at start or during spin does trick for me.

morning spins before breakfast of 5-10km are great fat burner and really wake you up for day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

manafana wrote: »
    on diet and food, if you keep your heart rate levels out of the higher reaches of your max then you shouldnt eat into anything but small bit of your sugars and burn fat, being honest a banana or bit of fruit at start or during spin does trick for me.

morning spins before breakfast of 5-10km are great fat burner and really wake you up for day.

As petethedrummer said it's very individual.

At any distance around 100km I feel better in a fasted state. First thing in morning seems to work best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Did my longest / most climb filled cycle to date on Sunday. Yesterday and today I have felt awful with a head cold coming on, can't get out of bed today. Has the exertion from the cycle made me more prone to infection or just worn me down to this level all on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

He looks on course to break 3 hours in his first attempt.

I hate people like that ..... show offs

Jealousy is a terrible thing :o

Kav0777 wrote: »
    I hate people like that ..... show offs

Jealousy is a terrible thing :o

He just bought a road bike. I am afraid to invite him cycling.

Did my longest / most climb filled cycle to date on Sunday. Yesterday and today I have felt awful with a head cold coming on, can't get out of bed today. Has the exertion from the cycle made me more prone to infection or just worn me down to this level all on its own?

Or total coincidence. Plenty of lazy puds have a bad cold at the moment. It's going around.

When I had severe pneumonia a few years back my wife was super keen to blame it on cycling.

Turns out it was viral and probably caught from some filthy pedestrian/motorist type, not on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

6 weeks off the bike and counting (might sneak back on the turbo trainer this weekend) :)

• Advertisement

Or total coincidence. Plenty of lazy puds have a bad cold at the moment. It's going around.

When I had severe pneumonia a few years back my wife was super keen to blame it on cycling.

Turns out it was viral and probably caught from some filthy pedestrian/motorist type, not on the bike.
    had you recently used someone else's bike? maybe you caught it off their saddle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement