Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

had you recently used someone else's bike? maybe you caught it off their saddle.

or caught a snot rocket from someone in front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Or total coincidence. Plenty of lazy puds have a bad cold at the moment. It's going around.

When I had severe pneumonia a few years back my wife was super keen to blame it on cycling.

Turns out it was viral and probably caught from some filthy pedestrian/motorist type, not on the bike.

That's reassuring to hear! Roll on the weekend :-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Watch me:

:)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Watch me:
    Well you could at least have edited out the other 3m 23s:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

From the Indo http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-posed-as-boyracer-to-nab-dangerous-drivers-court-told-30596019.html Garda poses as boy racer to nab dangerous driver.

If they can do that, they can use bait bikes to catch bike thieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Watch me:

:)

And not a piece of skin coloured/gold lycra in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

From the Indo http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-posed-as-boyracer-to-nab-dangerous-drivers-court-told-30596019.html Garda poses as boy racer to nab dangerous driver.

If they can do that, they can use bait bikes to catch bike thieves.

they do don't they just not as much as they should,

on another subject anyone had issues with the garmin 510 HRM? mine just doesnt work while the 500 has been bomb proof for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

manafana wrote: »
    on another subject anyone had issues with the garmin 510 HRM? mine just doesnt work while the 500 has been bomb proof for me.

Mine works perfectly. Maybe you have a dodgy monitor? Tried changing the battery as a first step?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

quozl wrote: »
    Mine works perfectly. Maybe you have a dodgy monitor? Tried changing the battery as a first step?

problem solved once I looked up the manual, a blonde moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Ouch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It only takes him about 8 seconds to get back on his bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It only takes him about 8 seconds to get back on his bike.

Former 100m hurdler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Anyone using a micro towel for post shower commute? Any recommendations on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Anyone using a micro towel for post shower commute? Any recommendations on them?

They're a grand bit of kit buuuut when you're steaming after a beasting and shower they tend to stick to you and don't cope as well as conventional towels when you're pumping sweat post shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Had a cheap gelert one, didn't like it. Spent a bit more on Lifeventure one and it's alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I have the Gelert one that petethedrummer mentioned above but I find it great TBH. I'm using it every day - very absorbent and dries really quickly. It's a full size bath sheet but folds up really small so takes up very little room in my back pack. Can't believe I was lugging a huge towel around with me for so long (I hate trying to dry myself with a towel the size of a postage stamp)!

I picked one up for a tenner on SportsDirect during a recent sale but they seem to have them for €11.99 at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I picked myself up one in Penneys the other week, I think they were only 3 quid.

I haven't used it yet though, it's purpose is a wipe down after a bit of exercise before I have to get back in the car to drive home, rather than to use after a proper shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I use it to dry on bike on wet days ;)

• Advertisement

Posted this on reddit yesterday..now has over 1k up votes hahaha

dF0mwKv.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What did Tony ever do to you? :(

:p

Gave a mate a spare 25mm GP4000 the other night since I'm running all 23s.

Since he's running all 25s these days he gave me a pair of lightly used 23mm GP4000s and a buckshee set of race blades.

Result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Zyzz wrote: »
    Posted this on reddit yesterday..now has over 1k up votes hahaha

dF0mwKv.jpg

You're great. Welll done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

UPDATE: Think Bike rang last Monday saying the service would be delayed for at least another week as they were having issues finding the correct replacement BB, and they haven't yet confirmed the service fee. Finally able to collect tomorrow though and give it a few hours testing.

Anyway, new tyres are next on the list - these http://www.bontrager.com/model/08058 originally came with the bike [a 2012 Trek 3500] but due to wear and tear had to replace them with an old set of Connection Trails http://www.bontrager.com/model/00428 that were in good enough condition but which really don't look good on the bike.

Thanks princess, no need for any jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Zyzz wrote: »
    Thanks princess, no need for any jealousy.

Drop the antagonistic remarks please and thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ironically enough, after blood sweat and tears I sold my soul and my new "princess" arrived. :)

Maiden voyage in the morning

322778.jpg

I don't suppose there's anyone knocking around early tomorrow who's handy with cutting steerer tubes?

The good people at Tifosi leave room for a mahooosive head tube...ah well I'll try the LBS they've managed to jam the star nut in the old forks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Thor Hushovd rode his last race yesterday. His teamates surprised him by filling his water bottle with champagne.

vClTPrL.gif

So Pater Scone did his first club spin today...the student is becoming the master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Anyone take the road form Nangor road to N4 that passes Baldonnell air base?

What's with the signs on Baldonnell House which are highly negative towards the military?

My last trip past there during the week there was a masked man standing on the edge of the Baldonnel house wall banging a drum......:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Is there any clubs/groups in central Dublin doing beginner spins this time of year?

A combination of depression and weight gain and work mean I've barely been on the saddle over the last few months, but could really do with motivation to get on out. Tough going. Back to scratch, except with a nice bike.

What's with the signs on Baldonnell House which are highly negative towards the military?

My last trip past there during the week there was a masked man standing on the edge of the Baldonnel house wall banging a drum......:confused:

I saw those signs on Saturday, was wondering the same thing

The anti-war hero fantasists have built up several narratives about Baldonnel being some sort of CIA orphan murder farm and for a while people who worked there were getting visits at home from said peace and love types.

The various paramilitary groups also disapprove of the Garda aircraft there.

• Advertisement

Baldonnell is sometimes used as a showcase runway for aircraft. Once spent a half day in there watching a Harrier. Amazing but terrifying. Seeing that kind of thing day in, day out can understandably freak people out.

OldBean wrote: »
    Baldonnell is sometimes used as a showcase runway for aircraft. Once spent a half day in there watching a Harrier. Amazing but terrifying. Seeing that kind of thing day in, day out can understandably freak people out.

You mean people who buy houses next to hundred year old airfields?

Sometimes called whingers. Or buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woot. Balbriggan train station has bike lockers at last. They must have gone in over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

OldBean wrote: »
    Is there any clubs/groups in central Dublin doing beginner spins this time of year?

A combination of depression and weight gain and work mean I've barely been on the saddle over the last few months, but could really do with motivation to get on out. Tough going. Back to scratch, except with a nice bike.

Orwell's winter spins start on Sunday week (the 5th of October). They're out of Dundrum, which is only somewhat central but there aren't any really central Dublin clubs that I know of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I was home from abroad last week, staying in a house in Glasnevin. At about 8 in the morning, just out of bed and awful groggy, I was at the upstairs bedroom window and I <em>thought</em> I saw a three-person tandem pass by with two kids on the stoker seats. I might have been hallucinating (or seeing an arrangement of kids that fooled me into thinking it was a tandem; there were obscuring trees). I was just back from cycling my own in Kerry so I might have had tandems on the brain. Seemed like too weird a coincidence.

Anyone seen a three-saddle tandem around Dublin?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

^^^Yet another reason for mandatory hi vis gear and helmets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

At least his bike wasn't knicked within minutes of it being left along on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Hardly anyone with a Chain reaction voucher?

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Hardly anyone with a Chain reaction voucher?

The guy in the video? I thought Russia banned Western imports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I was home from abroad last week, staying in a house in Glasnevin. At about 8 in the morning, just out of bed and awful groggy, I was at the upstairs bedroom window and I <em>thought</em> I saw a three-person tandem pass by with two kids on the stoker seats. I might have been hallucinating (or seeing an arrangement of kids that fooled me into thinking it was a tandem; there were obscuring trees). I was just back from cycling my own in Kerry so I might have had tandems on the brain. Seemed like too weird a coincidence.

Anyone seen a three-saddle tandem around Dublin?

Yep. There's a boardsie in the area with a triplet...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Down in the fathers with the family in Wexford on Saturday and there's a ring on the doorbell. I answer it to find a couple of rather attractive Dutch touring cyclists, one of who's got a sore knee looking to borrow some pain killers. I give her a nurofen, chat for a bit and she heads off. My youngest is onto me like a flash afterwards; "Did you pray really hard Dad? Shouldn't do that while mum's around" whereupon I become the butt of random slagging for the rest of the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

smacl wrote: »
    Down in the fathers with the family in Wexford on Saturday and there's a ring on the doorbell. I answer it to find a couple of rather attractive Dutch touring cyclists, one of who's got a sore knee looking to borrow some pain killers. I give her a nurofen, chat for a bit and she heads off. My youngest is onto me like a flash afterwards; "Did you pray really hard Dad? Shouldn't do that while mum's around" whereupon I become the butt of random slagging for the rest of the afternoon.

*Very* inconsiderate not to offer a knee massage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kreuziger-cleared-by-czech-olympic-committee

Roman Kreuziger cleared of doping violations by the Czech Olympic Committee

UCI considering appeal to CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-roman-kreuziger-167072/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement