Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So I missed pretty much everything in the Aldi Rathmines cycle sale.. including several deaths and limbs lost in the mill judging by the state of the special buy area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

So I missed pretty much everything in the Aldi Rathmines cycle sale.. including several deaths and limbs lost in the mill judging by the state of the special buy area.
    Not surprising! Try an Aldi a little further out of town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Auto gearing is just around the corner. Set desired cadence and off you go...
    i reckon that we're not too far off a system where you mount your smart phone/gps doohickey to the handlebars, and it will know your speed, cadence, location, gear selected, and what sort of training you want to do, so it will do gear selection based on the slope of the road you're on and whether you want to spin or grind. and potentially shout words of encouragement/abuse at you.
    it will probably also allow you to map your best time on that segment live against your current progress. i.e. tell you you're 21s behind where you were.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Kav0777 wrote: »
    How is your shoulder?

Good, healing well, the collarbone anyway. The shoulder is a bit slower and the elbow slowest of all so far but all going in the right direction. Back to work/ Life next week.

My biggest battle was today. I had a wedding, so had a dress v collarbone stand-off this morning. Collarbone won, so I ended up at the blingiest wedding ever in very unglamorous attire :rolleyes: also had to leave early for a number of reasons (damn half 9 tomorrow morning hospital appointments!), one of which was people constantly trying to hug me, or pat the arm, our grab the shoulder. I got out of there before I ended up punching someone with my good one- there's only so much ninja sidestepping you can do! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Not sure if this will be of any use to anyone but if you have ANY version of Shimano Di2 or you know someone who does, don't have the firmware that came out in August applied, ever.
    It prevents, rightly or wrongly, mixing parts from the various systems. I believe they are called "mash ups"

I did a lot of learning today!

Also came across this which was kind of cool and I had patented in my head :mad:

Auto gearing is just around the corner. Set desired cadence and off you go...

A US shop - Fairwheelbikes - had such a system about 4 years ago. They took a Dura Ace Di2 system, modified the software and built a mountain bike with full sequential shifting.

I think there was a fairly detailed discussion on both the Fairwheelbikes and weightweenies forums at the time of how they achieved it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    one of which was people constantly trying to hug me, or pat the arm, our grab the shoulder. I got out of there before I ended up punching someone with my good one- there's only so much ninja sidestepping you can do!
    You're doing it all wrong - got to play up to it - an arm brace, perhaps a pair of crutches - make sure people know how bad it was and spend the time offering sympathy and support - big it up - tell them it was at the national cycling championships - I'm sure the bride wouldn't mind if you managed to be the centre of attention for the day given what you've gone through ....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Good, healing well, the collarbone anyway. The shoulder is a bit slower and the elbow slowest of all so far but all going in the right direction. Back to work/ Life next week.

My biggest battle was today. I had a wedding, so had a dress v collarbone stand-off this morning. Collarbone won, so I ended up at the blingiest wedding ever in very unglamorous attire :rolleyes: also had to leave early for a number of reasons (damn half 9 tomorrow morning hospital appointments!), one of which was people constantly trying to hug me, or pat the arm, our grab the shoulder. I got out of there before I ended up punching someone with my good one- there's only so much ninja sidestepping you can do! ;) :pac:

Ha, yeah, on my first week back my boss insisted I go to a lunch meeting, with much protesting from me. Every one there tucking into steaks, me, with my right arm in a sling, having soup with my left hand (I'm right-handed) looking on enviously. At the end when everyone was going, they tried to shake my hand. Not just one, but all of them. I think the low point was when my boss openly asked me if I wanted my bread cut and buttered. A little part of my self esteem died that day. :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I had a conference in the States a couple of months ago when I made sure I had some strapping on my right wrist - both to avoid anyone crunching it during a handshake (the shriek I let out when one person failed to spot it made sure a lot more knew about it!), and to give me the opportunity to go into all the gory details of my crash one again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »
    I had a conference in the States a couple of months ago when I made sure I had some strapping on my right wrist - both to avoid anyone crunching it during a handshake (the shriek I let out when one person failed to spot it made sure a lot more knew about it!), and to give me the opportunity to go into all the gory details of my crash one again....

Were you in a crash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

buffalo wrote: »
    Were you in a crash?

He should have said....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have not heard of this crash. Tell me more...

Raam wrote: »
    I have not heard of this crash. Tell me more...

I don't think he likes to talk about it, still a bit raw ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Someone took my only strava KOM on Tuesday, the day my first child was born....

1ewsa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Condolences and congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just took delivery of a lenzyne macro drive 400 lumen front light. Expecting big things 😜

On a separate note, has Mrs pinch flat pick me up some aldiesque seal skin waterproof socks. Will report back at first rain shower☔️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You planning on doing night cycling Pinch Flat or is that just a very bright light for commuting?

I'm most of the way through sorting a dynamo rig for after dark spins so interested in your plans if any as I may want to steal them!

I had Macro Drive for some time, but found that I need long battery life more than extra 100lumens. Exchanged for MINI drive and it is absolutely fine even on medium setting to illuminate the road at night. And the battery life is approx. 20-30% longer.

Recently I've cycled Grand Canal paths from Sallins after dark, quite fast, and didn't drown... :D

[edit - not Micro, but Mini]

quozl wrote: »
    You planning on doing night cycling Pinch Flat or is that just a very bright light for commuting?

I'm most of the way through sorting a dynamo rig for after dark spins so interested in your plans if any as I may want to steal them!

My light is battery driven (rechargable li-ion) but it's charged from a micro usb, so could be charged from a usb Dynamo

Use will be primarily through the Phoenix park - have a micro drive and 200 lumen ok, but there's times I've needed more throw to spot the odd ninja jogger

Might get into a few evening spins around clonee direction as well - some roads out there proper country ones

@alek interested you reverted back to the micro drive, my one has a battery that's not holding charge too well but took it apart and reckon a standard li-ion c123 will fit. Will keep as a back up light but at 200 lumen is perfectly capable

@alek interested you reverted back to the micro drive

Sorry, my mistake - I use Mini drive, 300 lumens (most often at half power) and 10h battery life at low setting / strobe... Original post corrected.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Sorry, my mistake - I use Mini drive, 300 lumens (most often at half power) and 10h battery life at low setting / strobe... Original post corrected.

Ah ok. Macro drive is claiming just over 2 hours at 300 lumen which isn't bad. Over 10 hours flashing (which is the majority or its intended use) will mean less recharges

Beasty wrote: »
    You're doing it all wrong - got to play up to it - an arm brace, perhaps a pair of crutches - make sure people know how bad it was and spend the time offering sympathy and support - big it up - tell them it was at the national cycling championships - I'm sure the bride wouldn't mind if you managed to be the centre of attention for the day given what you've gone through ....:pac:

Ha ha maybe. I got a lot of 'sure you're finished with that now anyway' :rolleyes: I think I flew my gimpiness under the radar. I think I stood outs more for the seriously unglam outfit - everyone else was in black tie, I looked like a colour blind secretary. :cool:
    Ha, yeah, on my first week back my boss insisted I go to a lunch meeting, with much protesting from me. Every one there tucking into steaks, me, with my right arm in a sling, having soup with my left hand (I'm right-handed) looking on enviously. At the end when everyone was going, they tried to shake my hand. Not just one, but all of them. I think the low point was when my boss openly asked me if I wanted my bread cut and buttered. A little part of my self esteem died that day. :(

I went on my own and was sat at a table where I knew no one. My low point was having someone I just met but my steak. I started at it like an apple, which I was totally fine with but I had to give in. I don't know which was worse! The father of the bride followed my ninja dodging of his arm patting me on the bandage by hitting harder, 'what's wrong with ya there?'. Errr…

I think I mastered that shoulder dropping-dodge sideways thing they do in rugby. Does that count as cross training? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Gunna attempt to high 5 you next time I see you Gadetra lololol

Zyzz wrote: »
    Gunna attempt to high 5 you next time I see you Gadetra lololol

This'll be doubly weird as you know what I look like but I don't know what you look like...* goes on guard for high fiveing blur of speedy cyclist*

I'm getting a bubble :p

This'll be doubly wood as you know what I look like but I don't know what you look like...* goes on guard for high fiveing blur of speedy cyclist*

k9cByAEKxP0T6UzaG03y7dJ-HCLMAgTn4wO8gBxa_-1AWR_eyQrAObJATpe0REYBGEr3NNbbJNTaCUZH2ERnPZH5W9cZ9wlI1XO1yXaJ8szwVLURtwZ7UydHhk_D26o4T6ySLks=w236-h241-nc

WANT. Badly. They should give them out in hospitals!

*runs off with duct tape, nails and an old handbag*

• Advertisement

This'll be doubly weird as you know what I look like but I don't know what you look like...* goes on guard for high fiveing blur of speedy cyclist*

..well I'll only recognise if you're sporting the boards jersey :p

..otherwise I'll be high fiving a whoooole load of random cyclists :pac:

Zyzz wrote: »
    ..well I'll only recognise if you're sporting the boards jersey :p

..otherwise I'll be high fiving a whoooole load of random cyclists :pac:

Be careful in your Boards jerseys lady Boardsies :eek: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was driving on the Swords - Ashbourne road today. I encountered four cyclists in a line and was waiting for a safe opportunity to pass giving them plenty of room. Approaching the Killsallaghan/Oldtown crossroads, the male cyclist at the rear of the four gestured for me to pass. I dislike gestures from other road users and generally don't respond to them myself. Boy was I glad that I didn't as the female cyclist at the front of the four made a sudden right turn for Oldtown with no indication whatsoever of her manoeuvre. She was not 'with' the other 3 but this would not have been obvious to any ordinary driver.

This morning in the park was the first time I was ever majorly concerned about a rabbit in the spokes induced crash.

It was like I'd passed through a portal into Watership down, between that and the cenotaph rising out of the mists it was probably my most prog rock concept album spin to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Advertisement

I couldn't resist yesterday and gave a high five to some chap waving at a taxi :) I was going quite fast, so slapped him harder than I wanted but he seemed amused ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

So I have to be polite about Sky now... >feck<

Ah I don't like having to like them now. Damn you Nico!

Got another x-ray of the collarbone today. From underneath this time. It looks like the twist in a sweet wrapper except with an extra bit floating about, it's a right mess! I thought the screws were tiny but they're mad long. They're the way of the future I hear…:p

Ah I don't like having to like them now. Damn you Nico!

Got another x-ray of the collarbone today. From underneath this time. It looks like the twist in a sweet wrapper except with an extra bit floating about, it's a right mess! I thought the screws were tiny but they're mad long. They're the way of the future I hear…:p

I've screw envy, I didn't make the cut for them. I've been left with a "floaty bit" on top though (I believe that's the technical term for it , or at least what the doctor called it.... My first thought was "Hi Doctor Nick" ).
    Dr_Nick.png

Went out on the bike for the first time on Saturday 7 weeks to the day after the fall. 25km woohoo , Collarbone felt a little bit sore but pretty good ...... woohoo. Lungs, well, not so much...booo.

I've screw envy, I didn't make the cut for them. I've been left with a "floaty bit" on top though (I believe that's the technical term for it , or at least what the doctor called it.... My first thought was "Hi Doctor Nick" ).
    Dr_Nick.png

Went out on the bike for the first time on Saturday 7 weeks to the day after the fall. 25km woohoo , Collarbone felt a little bit sore but pretty good ...... woohoo. Lungs, well, not so much...booo.

Hi Dr. Nick!

Well this will make you super envious then (pins from today):
    DaraghsPhone_000623_zps6aaacb4c.jpg

Fair play on getting back out on the bike. I have gel bar tape ready and waiting for my return! Can I ask have you just gotten out of your sling and onto the bike? Did you get physio? I am glad to hear you lived on your first cycle back. It'd be super interesting to hear how you get on, how long it takes to get back up to fitness. Good luck! How did yours happen?

Ouch. There seems to be a loose bit just right/down from the 3rd screw?

Hi Dr. Nick!

Fair play on getting back out on the bike. I have gel bar tape ready and waiting for my return! Can I ask have you just gotten out of your sling and onto the bike? Did you get physio? I am glad to hear you lived on your first cycle back. It'd be super interesting to hear how you get on, how long it takes to get back up to fitness. Good luck! How did yours happen?

No, I was 4 weeks in a sling then 2 weeks without, got the okay from the doctor and went out the weekend after, so 7 weeks all together. I asked the doctor about exercise and physio and he said for swimming is best for both. (I must have looked horrified because he looked at me quizzically and said, "whats wrong ? can you swim?" I was thinking "But, but,.. I'm not a triathlete")

I hit a cats eye in the road and the handlebars shot up out of my grip, and i tumbled sideways and landed on the mainly back of my shoulder, and broke my collar bone in 3. It held it's shape more or less so i didn't get the screws.

Alek wrote: »
    Ouch. There seems to be a loose bit just right/down from the 3rd screw?

Yeah there is alright. It looks to be fuzzily attaching to the bit next to it though. Maybe there wasn't enough unbroken bone on top of it to attach it to? Or maybe it's just a loner and they never got on anyway. It's in Relate at the minute with the rest of the collarbone :pac:
    No, I was 4 weeks in a sling then 2 weeks without, got the okay from the doctor and went out the weekend after, so 7 weeks all together. I asked the doctor about exercise and physio and he said for swimming is best for both. (I must have looked horrified because he looked at me quizzically and said, "whats wrong ? can you swim?" I was thinking "But, but,.. I'm not a triathlete")

I hit a cats eye in the road and the handlebars shot up out of my grip, and i tumbled sideways and landed on the mainly back of my shoulder, and broke my collar bone in 3. It held it's shape more or less so i didn't get the screws.

3 places? 3 places? :eek: Jesus ouch. Wow God it's amazing it all stuck back together. It must have been a united front! Some going to heal up in 4 weeks. Are you part salamander? :p Cat's eyes are horrible, I hate them in the dry never mind the wet.

I am a big fan of le swimming, I was going to race a bit in the pool this winter but not now! I can't run though, I'm not a triathlete, honest! Our Track coach endorsed swimming last night as something to do in winter on the 2 days you're not on the bike or rollers! So you can feel safe that it's an official cycling sanctioned activity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I hit a cats eye in the road and the handlebars shot up out of my grip,

Wow , I hit one in the road last night and didn't think anything of it until reading that.

Ouch that was unfortunate. High speed fall?

• Advertisement

Hi Dr. Nick!

You call THAT an X-ray?
    THIS is an Xray!

3361033_Vivianna_Tea_Spoon_small.png

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Just saw a tweet from Veloclub Don Logan that they are taking a break due to time pressures. Will miss it, thought it was a really enjoyable podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yeah there is alright. It looks to be fuzzily attaching to the bit next to it though. Maybe there wasn't enough unbroken bone on top of it to attach it to? Or maybe it's just a loner and they never got on anyway. It's in Relate at the minute with the rest of the collarbone :pac:

3 places? 3 places? :eek: Jesus ouch. Wow God it's amazing it all stuck back together. It must have been a united front! Some going to heal up in 4 weeks. Are you part salamander? :p Cat's eyes are horrible, I hate them in the dry never mind the wet.

I am a big fan of le swimming, I was going to race a bit in the pool this winter but not now! I can't run though, I'm not a triathlete, honest! Our Track coach endorsed swimming last night as something to do in winter on the 2 days you're not on the bike or rollers! So you can feel safe that it's an official cycling sanctioned activity :D

To be honest, I think I was lucky that it stayed pretty much in line. What's the prognosis for yourself?

ronoc wrote: »
    Ouch that was unfortunate. High speed fall?

Not particularly, it was at about 25 kmph. I was just lucky I didn't take anyone else in the group down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

only saw it today. didn't notice date 'til now.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

You haven't lived till you've broke it in 4 :cool:. Finally got the all clear last week on mine (came off in may). Im left with a pokey floaty sticky out bit too, can hang a shirt off it with a clothes hanger :D

• Advertisement

Peter T wrote: »
    You haven't lived till you've broke it in 4 :cool:. Finally got the all clear last week on mine (came off in may). Im left with a pokey floaty sticky out bit too, can hang a shirt off it with a clothes hanger :D

:eek: :eek::eek::eek: Ouch :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement