Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh he was on foot, standing waiting to cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

seamus wrote: »
    Skittled some guy out of it on the grand canal cycle lane this morning, he decided when I was 1m from him with the green light, to make a go for it without looking left or right.

I'd already slowed down because I thought another ped was going to make a go for it, so I just got the shoulder down and sent the guy onto his ass about 5 feet down the path. Just a knee graze and a sore shoulder for me.

I kind of feel bad about it because when he asked me if I was alright, I shouted at him to "watch the fnck you're doing, willye", out of sheer frustration at his stupidity, and he legged it. I should have made sure he was OK.

Bicycle bells are also good, I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Oh he was on foot, standing waiting to cross.
    Or not waiting, as the case may be.

Not when the peds are iPodded up to their eyeballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No they're not. I have one and I may as well be waving a dildo about. Nobody wants to see it, or hear it in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭fiacha

No they're not. I have one and I may as well be waving a dildo about. Nobody wants to see it, or hear it in this case.

You're doing it wrong ! :P

I find the bell works very well for alerting people. Of course, you have to be switched on yourself and slow down when in areas with lots of pedestrians etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'll do some tests then next week and report back.

I find the opposite. If I see a pedestrian lurking near the edge of a pavement, I start tinging the bell gently when I'm about 20 feet away. But I also don't cycle very fast.

I'm worried by the description of hurtling into a careless pedestrian, mainly because I have a neighbour who loves to watch traffic from the edge of the road. He's autistic.

It's very possible to assume that someone has the same capacity you do; they may not.

Deliberately knocking someone down is also a big risk. I knew someone, years ago, who was hit by a hurtling cyclist when he was crossing a road. He suffered a fractured skull and other injuries that kept him from work for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Deliberately knocking someone down is also a big risk.

I didn't get the impression it was deliberate.

seany15 wrote: »
    I didn't get the impression it was deliberate.

I probably misread it. I took this
    Skittled some guy out of it on the grand canal cycle lane this morning, he decided when I was 1m from him with the green light, to make a go for it without looking left or right.

I'd already slowed down because I thought another ped was going to make a go for it, so I just got the shoulder down and sent the guy onto his ass about 5 feet down the path. .

the wrong way. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If travelling at any speed and about to hit a ped, shoulder down is best way to protect yourself. It works against buses too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

the wrong way. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate.
    Of course it wasn't FFS :rolleyes:. Pulling the brakes and turning my body away came purely out of reflex because there was no time to do anything else. It also means that he collided more with me than the bike. I'm soft and cushiony, the bike isn't.

Handy to have the GPS on as a matter of curiosity. Hit him at 12.8km/h, which isn't fast, but if you were out running at that speed and hit someone it would feel quick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I saw a ped wander out into a fellow commuters path on Synge street last night.

The collision was narrowly avoided and the peds first reaction was a shocked 'get up the fcuk' followed by a more muted 'that was my fault'.

Which I thought was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any recommendations for a jacket on CRC? Looking to spend about 40/50, warm and packable. Doesn't have to be particularly breathable or waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Any recommendations for a jacket on CRC? Looking to spend about 40/50, warm and packable. Doesn't have to be particularly breathable or waterproof.

Don't know if this works http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/craft-ab-wind-jacket-aw14/rp-prod110585

I've a couple things from craft and they're all generally well made.

But this might be better http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-stretchable-rain-jacket/rp-prod122482

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    Make that three for Orla, another silver in the Points race today!
    Despite appearances I reckon that puts Ireland in 10th place in the final medal table thanks to the efforts of Orla (1 Gold, 2 Silvers) and Susie (1 Bronze)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

slap/dash wrote: »
    Don't know if this works http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/craft-ab-wind-jacket-aw14/rp-prod110585

I've a couple things from craft and they're all generally well made.

But this might be better http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-stretchable-rain-jacket/rp-prod122482

Thanks, I'm going to take a punt on this one instead, looks pretty warm and one of the reviews claims it can fold into a back pocket. Also helps that it looks just about smart enough for me to wear in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone know where I can get some barrier cream for trying to keep my hands clean mechanicking? Dublin city centre or Internets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Anyone know where I can get some barrier cream for trying to keep my hands clean mechanicking? Dublin city centre or Internets?

There's a Savlon barrier cream available, however it's not great value for a small tube. The likes of Emulsifying Ointment or Silcock's Base would do the job just as well, they're about 5 or 6 euro for a 500g tub and should be available in most pharmacies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Proof that this country has a car problem. After tanking on the bike this morning and suffering a particularly slow and painful climb back from Laragh enduring multiple dangerous overtakes by two particular idiots rushing between beauty spots I then had to carry my bike part of the way down Kilakee road due to the mass gridlock that went from the Hellfire car park down as far as the super steep descent into a bend with yellow Kerbstones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just in case you ever have an accident in north county dublin - came across a nasty car crash on a bad bend (thankfully no-one injured) about 5km from ashbourne. rang the ashbourne garda station - 'not us, you need to ring balbriggan', even though we were 19km from balbriggan.
    i tried explaining that there was a badly damaged car blocking the road on a bad bend. no interest. had to ring balbriggan.

so be careful where you crash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just an update on the above; i emailed the garda press office to ask about their policy on 'nearest garda station' and they told me that the garda in ashbourne should have taken the details and rung it in to their dispatch centre in harcourt street, and has raised the issue with the relevant supers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

They said they did that..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

"Crossers are a dandy lot" :D

G961I6b.jpg

penguin88 wrote: »
    There's a Savlon barrier cream available, however it's not great value for a small tube. The likes of Emulsifying Ointment or Silcock's Base would do the job just as well, they're about 5 or 6 euro for a 500g tub and should be available in most pharmacies.

I got some Silcock's Base (without giggling) - 400g for €4.00.

Weirdly, a 100g tub was €3.25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

"Crossers are a dandy lot" :D

G961I6b.jpg

Face plant. Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Happens a lot!

Wout van Aert takes a dive at a race on Sunday.

BzxdklWIIAA1alq.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

just in case you ever have an accident in north county dublin - came across a nasty car crash on a bad bend (thankfully no-one injured) about 5km from ashbourne. rang the ashbourne garda station - 'not us, you need to ring balbriggan', even though we were 19km from balbriggan.
    i tried explaining that there was a badly damaged car blocking the road on a bad bend. no interest. had to ring balbriggan.

so be careful where you crash.
    just an update on the above; i emailed the garda press office to ask about their policy on 'nearest garda station' and they told me that the garda in ashbourne should have taken the details and rung it in to their dispatch centre in harcourt street, and has raised the issue with the relevant supers.
    I would have dialled 999/112 and let the dispatcher decide how to deal with it.

I would have dialled 999/112 and let the dispatcher decide how to deal with it.
    I would have done so if it was an emergency, but as the worst injury was a bloody lip i decided to just ring the Gardai directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I got some Silcock's Base (without giggling) - 400g for €4.00.

Weirdly, a 100g tub was €3.25.

Its silly name is only surpassed by its silly per gram pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Raam wrote: »

Wout van Aert takes a dive at a race on Sunday.

I hope those shorts are gold.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Now you can buy the book

theroles_1024x1024.jpg?v=1381490972

Dan Martin's riding as of late gives me chills, bout time he got some good fortune :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Zyzz wrote: »
    Dan Martin's riding as of late gives me chills, bout time he got some good fortune :)

Make you wonder what he could of done in the Giro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

Exasperated.JPG

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Got a bus stop high 5 yesterday, tis a bit of fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Left hook, anyone?

From the dash cam thread on Motors.

Cyclist looks to have stayed upright. I wonder if anything came of it.

I wonder if he stopped and offered himself/video as a witness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I picked a bad morning to cycle to uni. :( soaked

• Advertisement

Left hook, anyone?

From the dash cam thread on Motors.

Yeh but if the cyclist paid road tax..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Mrs Lenny gave birth to a gorgeous little girl on Monday. I reckon with a bit of practice and the right training, she should be good to win the Ras na mBan 2035. No pressure like. I already have an aero carbon buggy with zipp wheels and an edge 510 ordered.

Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Congrats Lenny! Thats great news.

And you might want to stock up some coffee :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Wonder if you can spend the time at the start riding the wrong way around the track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

lennymc wrote: »
    Mrs Lenny gave birth to a gorgeous little girl on Monday. I reckon with a bit of practice and the right training, she should be good to win the Ras na mBan 2035. No pressure like. I already have an aero carbon buggy with zipp wheels and an edge 510 ordered.

Happy days!

Congrats!
    She will probably need a carbon fibe CX bike in your size too. Get one now while the prices are low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

BBC Radio4 will be talking to cyclists who use video cameras to record their ride in a few minutes. It might be cringeworthy, it might be informative, perhaps both.

…oh, and I shall deny any claims that I am encouraging people to listen to the “You & Yours” radio programme, the aural equivalent of taking out yer dentures, donning slippers and dressing gown and settling down to a meal of Werther’s Originals!

Someone here told me a week or so ago of a spring you can get to attach to the frame of a bike to limit the movement of the front wheel and handlebars so the bike doesn't turn back and take a snap out of your leg when your attention lapses as you park it or hold it. I looked it up at the time and asked the local bike shop about it, but they forgot to ask their supplier, and I've forgotten what it's called, and random googling isn't finding it.
    What the heck is it called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Someone here told me a week or so ago of a spring you can get to attach to the frame of a bike to limit the movement of the front wheel and handlebars so the bike doesn't turn back and take a snap out of your leg when your attention lapses as you park it or hold it. I looked it up at the time and asked the local bike shop about it, but they forgot to ask their supplier, and I've forgotten what it's called, and random googling isn't finding it.
    What the heck is it called?

Sounds like you are referring to a steering limiter. They are common enough on balance bikes for kids, not so readily available for adult bikes but this Velo Orange one and this Acros headset approach look like possible contenders.

doozerie wrote: »
    Sounds like you are referring to a steering limiter. They are common enough on balance bikes for kids, not so readily available for adult bikes but this Velo Orange one and this Acros headset approach look like possible contenders.

Ah, that's the boy, the Velo one. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Learning how to cycle with no hands Qualitymark ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement