Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Looks like Bahamontes?

Fcuking hell! 753kms in 22h 25m (Elapsed time 23h 40m) averaging 33km/h. That's a long fast day in the saddle!

http://app.strava.com/activities/214491486

EDIT: ...and only 3 segments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You absolute lunatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Looks like Bahamontes?

It's Coppi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Zyzz wrote: »
    Why??
    I was just about to ask the same!

:/

2e4k9dt.jpg

Note to self: Hoover up crisps bits from rucksack, later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

That still doesn't answer why you're getting rid! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Apparantly, among the suggestions from the New York Times for things to do in Dublin:

“Biking along the Liffey” :eek: :(

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/dublin-is-finding-a-new-way-to-exist-new-york-times-30740747.html

Apparantly, among the suggestions from the New York Times for things to do in Dublin:

“Biking along the Liffey” :eek: :(

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/dublin-is-finding-a-new-way-to-exist-new-york-times-30740747.html
    At 10.30am on a Saturday!

1.30pm
    Not sure what the traffic would be like then (it's been a while since I've been there at that that time of a Sat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Even worse, 1.30pm to 3! How they survived 1.5 hours without dying from buses or boredom is a mystery. Also, for a 36 hour holiday, they must have spent a fecking bomb.

• Advertisement

1.30pm..)
    Even worse, 1.30pm to 3!..
    Apologies - I misread it!

Just having a look at the original article now:
    6. Bikes by the Bridges | 1:30 p.m.
    Dublin got a bike share program in 2009, and its enormous popularity (it’s now one of the most successful such programs in Europe) has led to the creation of a number of city center bike lanes and a cycling-friendly culture. Grab a bike from one of the many stations (locations at dublinbikes.ie; 5 euros for a three-day ticket after which every ride of 30 minutes or less is free) and cycle down the banks of the Liffey River, which slices through the city. Stop at one of Dublin’s famed bridges, each of which tells a story: the Ha’penny (the city’s first pedestrian bridge; payment to cross was once a halfpenny), the O’Connell (a part of Dublin life since 1794, said to be unique in Europe for being wider than it is long), and the newest, the Rosie Hackett (named for a trade union activist involved in the 1913 Lockout and the 1916 Easter Rising, and the first to be named after a woman since 1792).
    Chortle ;)
    I think most of what might pass as "a cycling-friendly culture" is confined to those who actually cycle, and politically/enviromentally-correct statements in official policies :pac:

Having said that, it's a start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

The Sunday times review section ran a piece on George W. Bush this weekend, seems from the photo he is a cyclist.

I am now resigned to being stereotyped as someone who, in addition to running through red lights and ploughing through pedestrians on the footpath, also invades countries based on spurious justifications.

>.<

Since all us cyclists are one amorphous indistinguishable collective you know and each responsible for anything done by another cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Fian wrote: »
    The Sunday times review section ran a piece on George W. Bush this weekend, seems from the photo he is a cyclist.

I am now resigned to being stereotyped as someone who, in addition to running through red lights and ploughing through pedestrians on the footpath, also invades countries based on spurious justifications.

>.<

Since all us cyclists are one amorphous indistinguishable collective you know and each responsible for anything done by another cyclist.

Just to add to your woes.....Bono has been out cycling (and falling)

Here's the man himself......

bono-bike-30jul13-07.jpg~original

Can cycling recover from both these revelations???? This is the real crisis in cycling that people are afraid to talk about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Apparently he was cycling too close to the Edge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

GWB has been cycling to keep in shape for about ten years, I think. Switched over from jogging to save his knees.

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Apparently he was cycling too close to the Edge...

......where the streets have no name?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Jawgap wrote: »
    ......where the streets have no name?

Did it happen on a Sunday,bloody Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Did it happen on a Sunday,bloody Sunday?

oh boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

He's been trying out different bits of kit but he still hasn't foind what he's looking for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Searching for the best Bono/Bike pun? Still haven't found what you are looking for? Try this handy reference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we have a separate thread for these puns!

we have a separate thread for these puns!

I agree - some of them are pretty......

Bad

although ONE or two are......

Even better than the real thing....even Magnificent!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting demonstration about how much space is taken up by a given number of road users, based on method of transport, next time a car drive complains about having space taken from them:

cycling%20promotion%20fund.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

One report suggested there was a fierce rattle and hum coming from the bike then something went pop before he crashed. Next thing Bono knew was he was staring at the sun - it was a beautiful day. His pride must have taken a hit.

B2lfzFcIMAI0kmW.jpg

O.o

Shortest cycle lane in Dublin, near clarehall - taken from broadsheet.

Hmm:

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/B2lfzFcIMAI0kmW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

B2lfzFcIMAI0kmW.jpg

I went on my snot right on that last week :mad:

I went on my snot right on that last week :mad:

There was one down the road from me (Taney road Dundrum) - it is a steep downhill towards the Luas bridge so bikes are travelling at a fair clip. The cycle path runs alongside the footpath then mounted the footpath at an oblique angle. Problem is there was a 2 inch straight kerb. You can imagine what happened whenever a cyclist who does not know the road follows the road markings and tries to come onto a 2 inch straight kerb, sideways on, at 35- 45 kph. More than once I brought people covered in blood in to mine to have a cup of tea and wait for someone to collect them.

I got on the council and it was eventually remedied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jawgap wrote: »

bono-bike-30jul13-07.jpg~original

Pie plate still on, baggy shorts on a road bike and the man who spent the last 30 years wearing wrap around shades decides that he should wear aviators while cycling. G'lad Bono

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There was one down the road from me (Taney road Dundrum) - it is a steep downhill towards the Luas bridge so bikes are travelling at a fair clip. The cycle path runs alongside the footpath then mounted the footpath at an oblique angle. Problem is there was a 2 inch straight kerb. You can imagine what happened whenever a cyclist who does not know the road follows the road markings and tries to come onto a 2 inch straight kerb, sideways on, at 35- 45 kph. More than once I brought people covered in blood in to mine to have a cup of tea and wait for someone to collect them.

I got on the council and it was eventually remedied.

Cool, thats exactly how it happened to me. I came down heavy on my left, narrowly missing the small wall/railing ~ 15 minutes later I got my fifth puncture in two weeks so I guess it wasn't my day!.. But now that you mention it, and I look there is a small lip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

More bike thefts from the bin shed in our apartment complex over the weekend. Sign posted inside the front door, a plea for help. No pictures of the two bikes taken but a description.

Getting off the Dart this evening as the crowd is filing out there's a guy standing at the door waiting to come through, with one of the bikes! I gave him two options, he refuses to give me the bike and we call the police, or I'm taking the bike. He wasn't long exiting stage left.

So one bike reunited with a very happy owner, my good deed for the day done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Pie plate still on, baggy shorts on a road bike and the man who spent the last 30 years wearing wrap around shades decides that he should wear aviators while cycling. G'lad Bono

He has glaucoma..

(which is also a tax exempt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Got an Uh-oh alert this evening from Strava. A KOM that I had from when I was bridging over to a break at the Mullingar GP in 2012. Taken off me by one second. I suppose that I will have to race it again next year now to get it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was down in dublin the weekend of the south africa game and walking from bus aras to kildare street some guy on a dublin cycles up behind me on the pavement and rings his bell, i'm like WTF you can wait so he starts giving out i'm there with a couple of bags and theres a barrier at he edge of the pavement.

are you all like that down there - think i'll stay up here you've no flipping patience down there.

oh and the ireland SA game was fantastic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

was down in dublin the weekend of the south africa game and walking from bus aras to kildare street some guy on a dublin cycles up behind me on the pavement and rings his bell, i'm like WTF you can wait so he starts giving out i'm there with a couple of bags and theres a barrier at he edge of the pavement.

are you all like that down there - think i'll stay up here you've no flipping patience down there.

oh and the ireland SA game was fantastic.

Just DB users, seems to attract a large levels of ignorance and a vacuum of manners. They are not all like that but appearances would indicate that the ratio of asses to vehicles is alot closer to 2:1 than any other mode of transport. I think with non-DB bicycles and motor vehicles, the ratio would appear to be between 1.05:1 and 1.1:1, DB seems to be close to 1.5:1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Daroxtar wrote: »

There's a lot wrong with that photo. You mentioned a few of them, but there's one good thing, that more than makes up for all the errors.... A guy, out on his bike, enjoying himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Ordered a pair of dHb Vaeon Pro Roubaix Bibs and a Vaeon jersey the other week. Pretty happy with the fit (despite it showing my need to crank up the miles!) compared to previous dHb disasters.

My only issue, the pockets on the Jersey are hideous!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Err ok…

DSC_0098_zps295f347c.jpg

(on the way into the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

^^^^^
    YOU WILL CYCLE THERE AND LIKE IT!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gadetra wrote: »
    (on the way into the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry)

Great way to drum up business from passing cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Great way to drum up business from passing cyclists.

It's a trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

il_170x135.235568405.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

14.2 Withings scale kg ~= 14.6 Ryanair scale kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Got the 'Uh Oh ' email this morning for a KoM that I didn't have. I was 2nd at 4secs to certain Massage and Physical therapist in the Northern end of D.15.
    Strange happening's!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Weird, I got the same this morning - KOM lost to the same guy in Leixlip.

But I thought he took it a few months ago? Perhaps somebody has flagged his rides, which has taken him off the leadersboards automatically, then he "defended" himself and got his places back?

The guy is insane KOM hunter, btw.

Alek wrote: »
    Weird, I got the same this morning - KOM lost to the same guy in Leixlip.

But I thought he took it a few months ago? Perhaps somebody has flagged his rides, which has taken him off the leadersboards automatically, then he "defended" himself and got his places back?

The guy is insane KOM hunter, btw.
    That must be it.
    Reckon he lives for KOM s and obviously uses it for free publicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Back on your bike Bono, the injury risks are well worth it

First the tail of his private jet comes off as it lands in Berlin and then days later he comes a cropper while cycling through New York's Central Park.

If he believes that bad-things-happen-in-threes thing then he’s sure to be looking over his shoulder today.

But he should be able to take some comfort from the fact that he's not alone. The last decade has seen the rise of the Mamil (Middle-aged Men in Lycra) and cycling has now taken over from golf as the most common pursuit among middle-aged men in many countries, including Ireland.

While it [cycling] is undoubtedly a far better activity, the risk of injury is ever present. Many parts of the developed world have reported a spike in the Mamils showing up in with injuries sustained in bike falls in recent years.

One survey published in Australia earlier this year found that the number of serious injury claims being made by 40 and 50-something men had jumped by 300% in just 10 years, with that cohort now needing more treatment for bike falls down any other group.

Conor Pope, Irish Times, 18th November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

bcmf wrote: »
    That must be it.
    Reckon he lives for KOM s and obviously uses it for free publicity

Yeah, I think he does. Same emails this morning.

To be fair JC is a savage sprinter and track cyclist so not surprising he's mopping up most of the ones out his way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Conor Pope, Irish Times, 18th November
    One survey published in Australia earlier this year found that the number of serious injury claims being made by 40 and 50-something men had jumped by 300% in just 10 years, with that cohort now needing more treatment for bike falls down any other group.
    As someone who only started cycling at a serious level in his late 40s and added at least 2 "incidents" that would be considered serious (certainly in terms of the injuries received) I am not in the least surprised. Let's face it, there has been a massive take up in this age group - indeed I think CI's stats are now showing the average age of membership is around 40 which is much higher than it used to be

Yeah, I think he does. Same emails this morning.

To be fair JC is a savage sprinter and track cyclist so not surprising he's mopping up most of the ones out his way.
    well he only has 4 secs on that that and I wasnt fully fit so its well within my grasp but a tough segment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement