Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    And I will. After I get my nerve back when Track opens again. Didn't Like his hand position though, I've never been comfy there on a Track bike. He must have Spink/ spinx (sp) bars?

In other news I'm heading out on my first out-of-the-carpark spin up the road this evening. I'm inordinately excited!!

No Sphinx bars, standard for Madison. It's the only way to do it tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

No Sphinx bars, standard for Madison. It's the only way to do it tbh.

Really? My wrists get really sore on the invisible hoods on a track bike. The tops fine, drops fine. Can't imagine having them at that weird angle bent around nothing for that long. Strange. His hand went up onto the bars for the slingshot? The other riders seemed to be not he drops or bars?

I laughed out loud quite a bit on my spin. The area on around one of my screws has blown up red, swollen and sore. Seems to happen every time I try to put in a bit of effort on the bike :( It's only my second time on the bike off the turbo though, I imagine it'll get better with time and happen less and less. No slingshots ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

General question lads. When you are cycling a long distance solo and you want to stop for coffee or food, how do you secure the bike? I have a kryptonite lock but its heavier than the bike is. I leave it on a bike rack in work for the commute in and don't really fancy lumping it around for 100 km +. But I equally don't fancy my trusty steed getting nicked by a scober while I enjoy my coffee. Is there a solution for this?
    I tend to use filling stations which have a lot of CCTV but there have been many times on 200km+ rides where I'd love to have sat down and had a proper knife and fork meal. Occasionally I'll eat indoors but it is usually in fairly isolated spots where I'll take the risk (e.g. (Glencree, Laragh etc.). Ironically though, on club rides, I don't really think about it even though the the bikes are often out of sight. Must be psychological - safety in numbers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Really? My wrists get really sore on the invisible hoods on a track bike. The tops fine, drops fine. Can't imagine having them at that weird angle bent around nothing for that long. Strange. His hand went up onto the bars for the slingshot? The other riders seemed to be not he drops or bars?

I laughed out loud quite a bit on my spin. The area on around one of my screws has blown up red, swollen and sore. Seems to happen every time I try to put in a bit of effort on the bike :( It's only my second time on the bike off the turbo though, I imagine it'll get better with time and happen less and less. No slingshots ;)

Ugh, sorry, was knackered when replied, you're right that position takes a bit of getting used to and is not the "standard" Madison position. Ignore me.

Would you not get the sticky out bit checked by doc in case the messed it up again?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ironically though, on club rides, I don't really think about it even though the the bikes are often out of sight. Must be psychological - safety in numbers etc.
    I guess the prospect of a posse of club riders hunting them down may put off the opportunist when there are a load of unsecured bikes in the same place (certainly when you are away from larger towns with few opportunities to lie low)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

When I saw this:

329750.jpg

I was all like this:

The_Scream.jpg

Sad Lenny is sad. Fortunately Garmin have an excellent repair policy, and I can get an as new exchange unit for £68. There is a 2 week turnaround though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »

Sad Lenny is sad. Fortunately Garmin have an excellent repair policy, and I can get an as new exchange unit for £68. There is a 2 week turnaround though.

time to upgrade to the 510,

kermit-the-frog-but-that-s-none-of-my-business.gif

Would you not get the sticky out bit checked by doc in case the messed it up again?

Nah it's only sore and not painful, I'm asking it to do something it hasn't done before so I imagine it's a teething problem. And if that's how it's gonna be I have to start getting used to it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nah it's only sore and not painful
    what's the difference?

what's the difference?

Pain would mean you can't move, think, speak, have to stop everything, probably take something if it doesn't go away. Sore is just sore. Hurts but you can move around and think, go about your business. With this for example it's just hurting away, it's notstopping me doing anything (but cycle today!). Therefore it's only sore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

what's the difference?

The volume and ferocity of the verbal abuse given to the effected body part.

As in the difference between "shut up legs" and "Fupp you, you eveil bastket legs"

Sore is where you hurt yourself. Painful is where you hurt your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Managed to snot myself on the commute home. Just after connolly station, heading southbound before the bridge, was filtering through traffic when either I lost grip purely due to the damp, or there was oil. Front wheel lost it, then got grip back, only to lose it again and nearly smash my face into the curb. Now I have a sore leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

lennymc wrote: »
    When I saw this:

329750.jpg

I was all like this:

The_Scream.jpg

Ill sell you my old one for €80 and have it to you tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That Garmin picture reminds me that the power button on my 705 now has rips in it. Last time that happened water got in and wrecked the unit so I got a refurb. Reckon if it happens again that I might get an option on the 1000 unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Zyzz wrote: »
    Ill sell you my old one for €80 and have it to you tomorrow.

I will see you my old 500 for 75 :). Should put mine on deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Seeing as we're speaking of edges, I'm in the market for an 810. Has anyone heard any info about an updated version to be released anytime soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an article on racism and privilege illustrated by using cycling as an analogy:

http://alittlemoresauce.com/2014/08/20/what-my-bike-has-taught-me-about-white-privilege/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

The Marco Pantani film: The accidental death of a cyclist, is now available on Netflix.

• Advertisement

New kit

B3gqBkaCUAA4_A7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I saw that and immediately wondered why you'd posted a pic of soccer players. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Silk roads to Shanghai on RTE2 now,2 Irish lads cycling from Istanbul to Shanghai.

Upgrade Question:

I need to upgrade my chain, cassette, front crank and brakes.

My rear and front deraileurs are fine in terms of wear. Would it be ok wear wise to replace the chain, casseste and front crank and keep the derailleurs or would this just lead to more problems?

Should I just replace the whole groupset /and/or entire bike?.... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

chains, cassettes and chainrings (not usually the whole crank unless it's a cheap one that's all one piece) wear out pretty regularly. Chains wearing the fastest, chainrings much slower. Derailleurs aren't usually seen as disposable, keep them unless they're broken or you want something more blingy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tumblr_ndhxm3zjRx1qiap1uo1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

So five months after I broke my collarbone and 6 weeks back training I'm back to square 1. Surgery Thursday to pin the bones together. Can my luck get any worse! 2014 has been very mean to me :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Sorry to hear this, something like this must be extremely frustrating. Get well the soonest you can.

Was it (another?) bike crash or the bones haven't fused properly?

get well soon solobally8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

Shimano Ultegra 6700 shifter just not shifting problem fixed. I feel like a hero.

For a supposedly reliable company that series of shifters has issues.

A spring that holds the pawl for changing gear with the bigger lever somehow got out of position. I was lucky to spot it and luckier to get it to go back into position. The cheapest I could find a replacement shifter was €114.
    It will probably go again and the second time the spring might break. Frustrating. Or as Douglas Adams may have said when not on about towels "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

Solobally8 wrote: »
    So five months after I broke my collarbone and 6 weeks back training I'm back to square 1. Surgery Thursday to pin the bones together. Can my luck get any worse! 2014 has been very mean to me :-(

Hard luck. Get well soon. At least this time it will be fixed.

• Advertisement

Oh no you poor thing :( And you were back training and everything boo. Madness that it still hasn't joined back up again. Best of luck with the surgery, and at least now you know it will definitely be healing. Have a *gentle hug* ((((((hug)))))

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Character building!!

Seriously though it's probably only when you have setbacks like this that you can properly appreciate the good times. I am sure when you come back not only will you be stronger but you will be keener to do even better. Best of luck with the recovery and make the most of the time you're getting off the bike as you may not get another chance for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Alek wrote: »

Was it (another?) bike crash or the bones haven't fused properly?
    Surprisingly enough it wasn't another bike crash :D. The bones just aren't joining by themselves.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Character building!!

Seriously though it's probably only when you have setbacks like this that you can properly appreciate the good times. I am sure when you come back not only will you be stronger but you will be keener to do even better. Best of luck with the recovery and make the most of the time you're getting off the bike as you may not get another chance for some time.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes. I'm very frustrated but as you say Beasty I hope to come back stronger and wiser. Im so full of character from this year I could burst :D

I'll have a lovely big scar but hey the ones on my face from March's crash don't bother me so I doubt this one will either!

I really hope Ras na mBan will still be a realistic goal for 2015 once all this is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Surprisingly enough it wasn't another bike crash :D. The bones just aren't joining by themselves.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes. I'm very frustrated but as you say Beasty I hope to come back stronger and wiser. Im so full of character from this year I could burst :D

I'll have a lovely big scar but hey the ones on my face from March's crash don't bother me so I doubt this one will either!

I really hope Ras na mBan will still be a realistic goal for 2015 once all this is sorted.

Casque!*

*for when Chapeau just isn't hard enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

So what's your excuse?

Cycling over the Pyrenees with one leg
    Christian Haettich has one arm and one leg. Over 22 days this summer he cycled across the Dolomites, the Alps and the Pyrenees to become one of only 10 finishers of a gruelling three-week amateur cycling event.

_79459185_christianfromleft.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Jawgap wrote: »

I'm rubbish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

This year's I take it. How many times has it crashed?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Cassette: Not included :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

How many times has it crashed?

Aren't they xrayed after a crash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

The saddle post looks like the ear of an African or South American tribal person with a stone in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

jimm wrote: »
    Cassette: Not included :eek:

I thought it was one of those 11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11 ones!

'but why don't you just make 10 the loudest?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Not worthy on a thread on its own so thought you guys would be able to help me out.

Looking to buy a wireless cadence sensor as an xmas stocking filler for <30e including postage if you guys know of any deals going.

It'll be paired with a garmin device but I assume the sensor doesn't necessarily have to be garmin as well. As long as it's ANT+, it should be ok?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Having seen many pitures of bike on boards.ie at this stage, be they new or perhaps having been stolen, I have deduced the following.

Lots of people have nicer kitchens than me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

Not worthy on a thread on its own so thought you guys would be able to help me out.

Looking to buy a wireless cadence sensor as an xmas stocking filler for <30e including postage if you guys know of any deals going.

It'll be paired with a garmin device but I assume the sensor doesn't necessarily have to be garmin as well. As long as it's ANT+, it should be ok?

Cheers

I use a Bontrager sensor that i bought online from Evans cycles. Your right, as it's an ANT+ unit it works happily with my Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

Cheers

I use a Bontrager sensor that i bought online from Evans cycles. You're right, as it's an ANT+ unit it works happily with my Garmin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They've put in a cycle lane on the Frascati Road in Blackrock heading southbound but it only goes from the park up to the bank i.e. only on the bit of road directly in front of the Frascati shopping centre.

It's a good idea but the ending of it looks a bit dodgy as the lane just ends so you'd have to swing back into the cars lane.

Also it's prob the widest lane I've ever been in!

^^^ The new cycle lane they made through the junction just after Frascati turning left to Mount Merrion Merrion avenue is a joke. It separates the cyclist from the rest of the left turning traffic, then spits you out into the left turning traffic, so you kind of pop out of no where. Ridiculous. I'd love to have the designer of that one cycle it a few times when traffic is heavy. It makes literally no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I wonder how many cyclists will actually use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement