Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah I wonder how many cyclists will actually use it.

Probably loads, those who do will be @$$e$ for annoying left turning motorists, those who don't will be @$$e$ for not using the cycle lane that the people who think they are @$$ e$ think they paid for, even if the cyclists contributed more (who knows).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I didn't know Paul Morningstar had died. Almost a year ago too.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/toolmaker-paul-morningstar-found-dead-in-booby-trapped-california-home

I had an entertaining email correspondence with him when I was looking to buy one of his tools. Sad to hear he had paranoia problems. Died in a booby trap, poor man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Anyone any decent winter training plans for increasing endurance? I'm signed up for a 200km cycle in March. I have been training but it feels a bit aimless. I don't really have any goals or structure to my cycling and its starting to affect my motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Anyone any decent winter training plans for increasing endurance? I'm signed up for a 200km cycle in March. I have been training but it feels a bit aimless. I don't really have any goals or structure to my cycling and its starting to affect my motivation.

flat, flat, flat avoid the hills 100km solo cycles at nice even pace in moderate heart rate should do job, or even 50km ones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sheisberger! (sp?)

Looks interesting:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

gadetra wrote: »
    Sheisberger! (sp?)

Looks interesting:

Pretty cool, I'll watch anything with Kittel in it anyway. Does anyone know how it's going to be released? Free on YT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Still a bit out, but potential for most of the country to wake up to their first taste of snow on Friday morning. MTB time perhaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

seamus wrote: »
    Still a bit out, but potential for most of the country to wake up to their first taste of snow on Friday morning. MTB time perhaps...

snowclocross on Sunday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

seamus wrote: »

Feck that , last time I got on MTB in snow I nearly buckled myself in the ballyhouras

Anyone know where to get those crimp tops for the gear and brake cables?
    Lost one and the seperated wire looks crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ronoc wrote: »

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/goodridge-gear-cable-end-cap/rp-prod23400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

if you haven't bought them yet, I can give you a few if you're in Dublin area.

Alek wrote: »
    if you haven't bought them yet, I can give you a few if you're in Dublin area.

Cheers for the offer but already got some. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

eamonn ryan and george hook discussing cycling on tv-am this morning. only when you get something your interested in do you realise what a pointless show this is is. proof i dont listen to anything except the news headlines on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

eamonn ryan and george hook discussing cycling on tv-am this morning. only when you get something your interested in do you realise what a pointless show this is is. proof i dont listen to anything except the news headlines on it.

George Hook used to be a cantankerous old bufoon. Now hes become a twisted, bitter, cartoonish version of his former self. If you switched cyclists for papists he'd pass for Ian Paisley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ror_74 wrote: »
    If you switched cyclists for papists he'd pass for Ian Paisley.

I read that as rapists and I had no idea what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Great stuff!

halfords have them as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Paradox explosion alert.

Thought this was worth sharing. (Apologies if this is old, I'm not really on the "pulse" anymore.)

For me next year, more bike less gadgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Raam wrote: »
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    halfords have them as well
    Lads, can they be crimped with a standard pliers or is a special crimping tool required?

• Advertisement

Standard pliers, with the cutting part, in two-three places, not too hard.

crimp-cable-end.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Standard pliers, with the cutting part, in two-three places, not too hard.

crimp-cable-end.jpg
    Great stuff - thanks Alek. (I've a few split ends to attend to!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Great stuff - thanks Alek. (I've a few split ends to attend to!).

anyone else use nail varnish or superglue rather than those end caps?

I've heard that people use this kind of stuff with success too. But since I've bought a jar of end caps.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Nisio wrote: »

Start doing that and pretty soon you'll be up to all sorts of DIY bodges and fixes.

Next thing you know you're riding a Recumbent and an owl nests in your beard.

I have just received a huge wheelset box with PlanetX logo on the side.

Looked inside - unfortunately no wheelset. Checked twice.

Just my Schwalbe Snow Stud tyres from the daily deal a few days ago, unfolded ;)

Gosh, they are heavy feckers. And sidewalls are so rigid you could open a beer off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Just my Schwalbe Snow Stud tyres from the daily deal a few days ago, unfolded ;)

Gosh, they are heavy feckers. And sidewalls are so rigid you could open a beer off it.

Just had a similar box arrive in work - for my colleague. Mine hopefully are waiting for me at home :) He had some fun trying to fold his for the bike ride home!

quozl wrote: »
    He had some fun trying to fold his for the bike ride home!

Technically you shouldn't fold studded tyres, as studs may get loose and fall out.

I've done the same though, wasn't that hard :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I have just received a huge wheelset box with PlanetX logo on the side.

Looked inside - unfortunately no wheelset. Checked twice.

quozl wrote: »
    Just had a similar box arrive in work - for my colleague. Mine hopefully are waiting for me at home :) He had some fun trying to fold his for the bike ride home!

Same. They are very heavy. Unfortunately/luckily I had to drive to work today, so no hassle getting them home.

I hope I don't need them and if I do, I hope there is enough clearance on my Boardman Hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Nisio wrote: »

AstraM. Saves 0.05 gram each!

331591.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Just a mention I was in Decathlon today and was told that they are now able to post to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

clog wrote: »
    Just a mention I was in Decathlon today and was told that they are now able to post to Ireland.

Any idea of the details on this clog? I put in an order with them on Thursday for delivery to Parcel Motel, and they still had in their FAQs that they can't deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

penguin88 wrote: »
    Any idea of the details on this clog? I put in an order with them on Thursday for delivery to Parcel Motel, and they still had in their FAQs that they can't deliver to Ireland.

I put in an order a few weeks ago as well and it wouldn't allow me to get it sent here. The guy in the shop itself today told me it was only changed during the week and the website had still to be altered.

The number of the Belfast store is 04890422049 they should be able to give you more details.

• Advertisement

I see Frank Schleck is really piling on the pounds in the off-season.

10393857_354239271422830_4313800073422332570_n.jpg?oh=d63e6d880a11a1fea527e7412fd85f33&oe=5509FC1C&__gda__=1427492090_f7157a0ad1400fe58f759a93ed1c60d3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

I see Frank Schleck is really piling on the pounds in the off-season.

10393857_354239271422830_4313800073422332570_n.jpg?oh=d63e6d880a11a1fea527e7412fd85f33&oe=5509FC1C&__gda__=1427492090_f7157a0ad1400fe58f759a93ed1c60d3

hes skinny lad anyway but he looks in june shape there

manafana wrote: »
    hes skinny lad anyway but he looks in june shape there

Yep, not a pick on him. Impressive, I hope he has another few seasons left in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

clog wrote: »

I had an order cancelled last week. I've ordered before using Parcel Motel as my address for shipping and billing, but this time they wanted to verify the billing address and couldn't use an Irish address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hope the Decathlon. News is true. I've plenty saved for their January sale. They're missing out plenty of business from the Free State without postage. You drive the whole way up and find multie items not in stock. Ordering from web makes way more sense. Pointless post again but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Hope the Decathlon. News is true. I've plenty saved for their January sale. They're missing out plenty of business from the Free State without postage. You drive the whole way up and find multie items not in stock. Ordering from web makes way more sense. Pointless post again but there you go.

They have been delivering to Ireland for quite some time now. I ordered a balance bike well over a year ago and got it delivered to Dublin. I posted about it a couple of times here. They have a workaround in place , to avail of it you have to ring the store, let them know you are looking for delivery to Ireland and add a 4.95 bag to your online basket. That was the cost of postage.

Still works as a mate got a kids bike delivered last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Just a quick one for any of those who have ordered a Virb. I didn't realise it until I got it but you won't be getting a handlebar mount in the box (you won't be getting an SD card either but I thought that was a given). If your mounting to the handlebars male sure everything is almost as hand tight as it'll go. Otherwise the camera shakes a lot and the resulting video is pretty poor.

Ive found the best options for recording are 720p/60fps with a wide lens and image stabilization off. The stabilization is pretty poor from what I've found. Wide lens is far better than the alternative "ultra zoom". Any vibration you'd get on wide lens seems far worse when ultra zoom is selected instead.

I haven't really got a whole lot of use put of it. We've had a good bit of snow and ice yesterday and today so I can't comment on battery life. The only other thing I will say is that if you're mounting it upside down remember to correct the orientation of the recording in the virb settings before hitting record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I ordered one of these a while back, the front light version for less than a tenner:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Cycling-Front-White-Rear-Red-usb-rechargeable-LED-light-6-Modes-/390955685839?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=660315468030&hash=item5b06c657cf

It took a month to arrive, but it's great, have been using it for about a month and have no issues. It came in great packaging that I wasn't expecting. Lasts ages on a charge, USB rechargeable, bright when it needs to be and cheap as chips. Have another ordered for the rear too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tomasrojo wrote: »

Funny, they don't mention the bit about the cobbles everywhere and how you'd want nice fat tyres on your bike...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

tomasrojo wrote: »

Probably the most bike friendly place that I have been to and that includes numerous to Copenhagen and Amsterdam.
    A mind blowing number of bikes used in Cambridge - the bike park at the station is awe inspiring.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ROK ON wrote: »
    Probably the most bike friendly place that I have been to and that includes numerous to Copenhagen and Amsterdam.
    A mind blowing number of bikes used in Cambridge - the bike park at the station is awe inspiring.
    You can blame all the bleedin' students for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

As a long time lurker on here I suppose it's high time I actually set about posting something and given the season that's in it - happy Christmas all - a simple thanks to all the many contributors to boards cycling whose advice, suggestions, comments, humour, good sense, patience (mostly!), insights, etc I have been reading and benefitting from for ages. Special thanks to the mods who keep things ticking over so well and manage to keep everything so positive. As a noob who went through the usual btw - hybrid - 4000-kms-later-must-get-a-road-bike (so, I did) - route the kind of information and discussion posted on the site is both useful and an added bonus to the actual experience of getting out on the bike. My New Years resolutions are 1. Read a little less and cycle a good deal more and 2. To find out what rule 5 is and whether it applies to me.

Btw, anyone know anything about a Wicklow cycling club? The odd time when out for a spin I've seen a group wearing Wicklow cycling club jerseys ( I think) - most recently a couple of weekends ago on the Avoca - Red Cross road, but I didn't get a chance to ask. Can't find them on CI or on Google. Kudos to bikerbhoy and manafana, btw, for their Sunday spins: I'd love to get out on one but am based a little too far away; maybe in the new year.

This is probably the wrong thread for this post isn't it?

Neleven wrote: »
    As a long time lurker on here I suppose it's high time I actually set about posting something and given the season that's in it - happy Christmas all - a simple thanks to all the many contributors to boards cycling whose advice, suggestions, comments, humour, good sense, patience (mostly!), insights, etc I have been reading and benefitting from for ages. Special thanks to the mods who keep things ticking over so well and manage to keep everything so positive. As a noob who went through the usual btw - hybrid - 4000-kms-later-must-get-a-road-bike (so, I did) - route the kind of information and discussion posted on the site is both useful and an added bonus to the actual experience of getting out on the bike. My New Years resolutions are 1. Read a little less and cycle a good deal more and 2. To find out what rule 5 is and whether it applies to me.

Btw, anyone know anything about a Wicklow cycling club? The odd time when out for a spin I've seen a group wearing Wicklow cycling club jerseys ( I think) - most recently a couple of weekends ago on the Avoca - Red Cross road, but I didn't get a chance to ask. Can't find them on CI or on Google. Kudos to bikerbhoy and manafana, btw, for their Sunday spins: I'd love to get out on one but am based a little too far away; maybe in the new year.

This is probably the wrong thread for this post isn't it?

You're welcome, and thanks for reading! :)

If I may add a post-script to your first resolution, feel free to post more questions and opinions! The more the merrier!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement