Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Neleven, Maybe Wicklow Tri Club? They have blue jerseys.
    Bray Wheelers are about that area too, purple and white and blue jerseys, if you're looking for a club to join in that area? I have been out with them and found them lovely. I made a ginormous leap forward joining a club and doing track. Track clubs rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

rode my first dublin bike yesterday, such a weird feeling but god they are great idea but only as long as the infrastructure is there as was alot more comfortable in a cycling lane on one as while stable they feel every bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Won't be applying for a Junior CI license next year so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Neleven wrote: »
    As a long time lurker on here I suppose it's high time I actually set about posting something and given the season that's in it - happy Christmas all - a simple thanks to all the many contributors to boards cycling whose advice, suggestions, comments, humour, good sense, patience (mostly!), insights, etc I have been reading and benefitting from for ages. Special thanks to the mods who keep things ticking over so well and manage to keep everything so positive. As a noob who went through the usual btw - hybrid - 4000-kms-later-must-get-a-road-bike (so, I did) - route the kind of information and discussion posted on the site is both useful and an added bonus to the actual experience of getting out on the bike. My New Years resolutions are 1. Read a little less and cycle a good deal more and 2. To find out what rule 5 is and whether it applies to me.

I for one would like to iterate said comment. Fair play for posting it, Neleven. I do know what rule 5 is though but hope to do the same as yourself in the new year.
    It's a great forum, well maintained with a lot of helpful people and useful information. They even put up with me.

Note the use of iterate and not reiterate. I've decided to be a total grammar Nazi in my impending old age.

I can't help it. Even though I'm crap at it myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so if he stole a painting, would he have been banned from creating art for the next six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

gadetra wrote: »
    Neleven, Maybe Wicklow Tri Club? They have blue jerseys.
    Bray Wheelers are about that area too, purple and white and blue jerseys, if you're looking for a club to join in that area? I have been out with them and found them lovely. I made a ginormous leap forward joining a club and doing track. Track clubs rock!

Doing track!! Wouldn't that involve another bike to go with the hybrid and road?? Not that I'm actually opposed to that...but my bank (and family) might be. Roll on 2016 or 17 when back to work scheme comes around again. Plus going round and round in circles might be far too close to the bone in summing up my days off the bike, never mind on it. And as for tri? Finding time for one activity is hard enough at times!

Bray wheelers look like a really decent club right enough- but again their start point is pretty far away for me. Thanks for all the info.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The track has hire bikes - the beauty is you can give it a proper go before committing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Neleven wrote: »
    Doing track!! Wouldn't that involve another bike to go with the hybrid and road?? Not that I'm actually opposed to that...but my bank (and family) might be. Roll on 2016 or 17 when back to work scheme comes around again. Plus going round and round in circles might be far too close to the bone in summing up my days off the bike, never mind on it. And as for tri? Finding time for one activity is hard enough at times!

Bray wheelers look like a really decent club right enough- but again their start point is pretty far away for me. Thanks for all the info.

Nah track is an awful lot more than just going round in circles. I mean that happens but it's a billion times more fun and interesting than that. It's super friendly and hard work, which is good, although you can push yourself as much or as little as you want. It's a lovely community and cheap - it's €5 to rent a bike, and €30 training fees for the whole season, which is up to 3 sessions a week then a day racing (Can't remember how much each league is).

Accreditation is from March I think. No excuse ;)

On a serious note it's really addictive. Prepare for that. I didn't, now I am hopelessly hooked! I think it might be cycling discipline equivalent heroin… :eek: :D

I'll just leave this here…: www.trackcycling.ie

Gorey cycling Club are new and also lovely I hear, but they maybe too far the other way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Beasty wrote: »
    The track has hire bikes - the beauty is you can give it a proper go before committing
    Beauty and the Beast(y) - I hear commitment is what turns it all princely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Rua_ri wrote: »
    They have been delivering to Ireland for quite some time now. I ordered a balance bike well over a year ago and got it delivered to Dublin. I posted about it a couple of times here. They have a workaround in place , to avail of it you have to ring the store, let them know you are looking for delivery to Ireland and add a 4.95 bag to your online basket. That was the cost of postage.

Still works as a mate got a kids bike delivered last week.

I don't do "work arounds". If it's not an official policy I'm not happy to use it, especially if I have to rely on what's in stock in the store in Belfast which is not well stocked at all and has a limited number of sports catered for. Parcel Motel is cheaper for delivery, just has an extra step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Isn't Parcel Motel just another kind of workaround?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Piketty:

"In France in the 1880s, the cheapest model listed in catalogs and sales brochures cost the equivalent of six months of the average worker’s wage. And this was a relatively rudimentary bicycle, “which had wheels covered with just a strip of solid rubber and only one brake that pressed directly against the front rim.” Technological progress made it possible to reduce the price to one month’s wages by 1910. Progress continued, and by the 1960s one could buy a quality bicycle (with “detachable wheel, two brakes, chain and mud guards, saddle bags, lights, and reflector”) for less than a week’s average wage. All in all, and leaving aside the prodigious improvement in the quality and safety of the product, purchasing power in terms of bicycles rose by a factor of 40 between 1890 and 1970"

n+1 all the way to 40?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Badly misjudged

tumblr_ngi05p97Pm1qbw072o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^^^ what a save :)

Alek wrote: »
    Isn't Parcel Motel just another kind of workaround?

I choose the third party. I go on-line, I order my ****, I get the **** delivered to a third party who are then responsible for delivering my ****.

I'm not ringing a member of the floor staff somewhere, then going back online and including a bag in my order, then expecting the member of staff to post it to me.

One is a work around that leaves me open to issues if anything goes wrong, in which I may not even be sure of whom I spoke to on the phone.

The other involves employing a courier company who take delivery of my package and forward it on to an agreed location.

There is a difference, you may think it's slight, I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I don't do "work arounds". If it's not an official policy I'm not happy to use it, especially if I have to rely on what's in stock in the store in Belfast which is not well stocked at all and has a limited number of sports catered for. Parcel Motel is cheaper for delivery, just has an extra step.

If its not in stock, they try and order it in for you.
    Parcel motel would work well here too.
    All should be OK then when it does become official policy.

You may ask for the name of the phone operator.

Parcel Motel may misplace your parcel - they're not insured. So can Royal Mail.

Things do happen.

Anyway, its your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Badly misjudged

tumblr_ngi05p97Pm1qbw072o1_500.gif

Does anyone know the road and what the drop is like on the other side of that crash barrier?

*gulp*

Rua_ri wrote: »
    If its not in stock, they try and order it in for you.
    Parcel motel would work well here too.
    All should be OK then when it does become official policy.

They try, whereas ordering directly allows you better access to stock levels.

You may ask for the name of the phone operator.

Things do happen.

Anyway, its your way.

I may and when it comes down to it this stands for absolutely nothing. "Bob said he'd send it" means jacks@it when it comes down to it.

Yes, it's my way. So why engage with it at all. Don't think I've said anywhere else that I'd insist anyone else do it the same way, I pointed out my issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

prt_1355831630.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

For anyone who doesn't read twitter, both Jack Bobridge and Rohan Dennis have announced their attempts on the hour record. Bobridge is set to go first and is a cert to beat the current record I reckon, Bobridge is the first proper trackie to attempt it in a while now and Rohan Dennis is just such a monster, I think he'll even beat Bobridge's time. Long may the flurry of attempts last.

There are also rumours of Alex Dowsett making an attempt, but I have my doubts, it's such a big PR boon that there shouldn't really be any uncertainty about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I just did a long overdue Strava upload and realised to my horror I haven't gone for a cycle outdoors (other than my 6-10km a day on the singlespeed) in 3 weeks! No wonder the boards kit feels tight!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For anyone who doesn't read twitter, both Jack Bobridge and Rohan Dennis have announced their attempts on the hour record. Bobridge is set to go first and is a cert to beat the current record I reckon, Bobridge is the first proper trackie to attempt it in a while now and Rohan Dennis is just such a monster, I think he'll even beat Bobridge's time. Long may the flurry of attempts last.

There are also rumours of Alex Dowsett making an attempt, but I have my doubts, it's such a big PR boon that there shouldn't really be any uncertainty about it.
    Sarah Storey is making an attempt in February

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

colour me unimpressed with this 'hour record' business. i once cycled for an hour and 25 minutes, but do you hear me ringing up the guinness book of records for validation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

colour me unimpressed with this 'hour record' business. i once cycled for an hour and 25 minutes, but do you hear me ringing up the guinness book of records for validation?

That's ok, colour us unimpressed too :p

Did the hour myself once - just shy of 40km - training to give it another go in 2060;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Actually Parcel Motel has liability cover up to a value of €100, or I believe for a fee you can increase this for higher value items.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Did the hour myself once - just shy of 40km - training to give it another go in 2060;)
    Just do enough, don't want it to be on the shelf when i have a go in 2070....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Hour record attempt list: January 31st: Bobridge, February 8th: Dennis, February 27/28th: Dowsett. And then Dekker, Quaade and Wiggins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I had some pretty bomb-proof and cheap Mavic wheels since the start of the year, pretty much knowing they were going to be replaced sooner rather than later. My rear wheel ended up in a nasty pothole yesterday, which broke three spokes, and the wheel's gone out of true... I had a good 30-40km of taking it easy before getting home, which resulted in another spoke coming loose. I'm not too worried, I knew they wouldn't last that long - I'm a heavy guy, going over a mix of rough roads and gravel, as well as through the city, while carrying some pretty heavy gear. I don't ever plan on racing, and I'm not too concerned about speed as long as I'm keeping around the 23/25kph mark. But I need to make a call on a new wheel... I'm hoping to cycle down the country to see family over Christmas, which means leaving Dublin next Wednesday morning.

Do I...

A) Buy another set of the same cheap Mavic's, in the hope they last me another year.

B) Get the current rear wheel repaired (Though I'd rather not worry - Or at least keep the wheel as a spare for the future).

C) Upgrade, in which case I'll have to buy local over the weekend... So if anyone had a recommendation for a good steel touring rear wheel (Or wheelset) around the €200-250 mark?

D) Wait it out and spend €400-500 in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

A, B, C and buy a new bike sounds like a good plan.

(Sorry no help I know...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

In seriousness though Sales are just around the corner and Cycle Superstore had a deal on Mavics as an advent deal.
    The set you had lasted you well so why not get another set (repair the existing and keep as a spare or sell to offset cost of new set)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

A, B, C and buy a new bike sounds like a good plan.

+1 is already in the works... ;)
    In seriousness though Sales are just around the corner and Cycle Superstore had a deal on Mavics as an advent deal.
    The set you had lasted you well so why not get another set (repair the existing and keep as a spare or sell to offset cost of new set)

Good thinking. Fingers crossed the LBS has a set lying around and I'll be back in business for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

332199.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Loads of beer and full Irish's, sounds great!

http://jrnl.ie/1843439

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

tomasrojo wrote: »
    332199.jpg

Stealing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Stealing this.
    Think I saw it on Ian Walker's Twitter feed.

Anyone else think this "toy" sends out the wrong message to kids a.k.a. Future cyclists and motorists? :confused:

4221_product_detail?$pdp_zoom$&locale=en_US

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Anyone else think this "toy" sends out the wrong message to kids a.k.a. Future cyclists and motorists? :confused:

That cyclists looks like hes pepped up on Morphine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

This old one was worse!
    5504.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Love the flower

what with the new year and new BTW eligibility coming soon, I feel this is apt:

57304339.jpg

lennymc wrote: »
    what with the new year and new BTW eligibility coming soon, I feel this is apt:

Ah but I want a bike for €1000 that will do gnarly MTB trails, but also good for commuting to work and Cyclocross and cross-country racing, and will leave me money for a good helmet and day-glo cycle jackets!

new BTW eligibility coming soon

wait, what?

[checks account balance]

• Advertisement

Then once that lot has finished it'll be the "Thinking of racing, what's A4 like, what average speed will I need to be able to do, why does everyone keep shouting, can I use mudguards... " brigade.

wait, what?

[checks account balance]
    If your last BTW was in 2010, (even if it was 31/12/2010 when you last availed) you are eligible for a new BTW from January 1.

One year of sweet, sweet waiting.

[checked payslips]

D'oh. Two.

Holy shi! I'm eligible cos got part-time job. But I have all the bikes I want... Fat bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

4221_product_detail?$pdp_zoom$&locale=en_US

Take the red cross off the near medics case and that guy could be a lawyer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement