Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Fixed^

LRbci0Z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Anyone else having trouble getting the 2015 Cycling Ireland calendar to sync with Google Calendar? It appears to connect ok, but no events appear on my calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The definition of being fecking lucky.

tvcgpFG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The definition of being fecking lucky.
    I would have been luckier to be somewhere else entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Can anyone tell me what a 10 sec and three minute wattbike test calculate?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can anyone tell me what a 10 sec and three minute wattbike test calculate?
    It's basically your maximum power you can sustain over those 2 periods - you trying out for the Olympic squad Harry?

EDIT - for example the eligibility criteria for the Senior men's endurance track team includes being able to put out >1,400w over 10s (900w for the women's team)

EDIT2 - actually, come to think about it, I have an idea what you may be up to ;)

Beasty wrote: »
    It's basically your maximum power you can sustain over those 2 periods - you trying out for the Olympic squad Harry?

EDIT - for example the eligibility criteria for the Senior men's endurance track team includes being able to put out >1,400w over 10s (900w for the women's team)

EDIT2 - actually, come to think about it, I have an idea what you may be up to ;)

Not up to anything... Honest. Just trying to understand all these various tests and can't find anything in these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Is that a lot? I know it must be pretty good to be Olympic standard but could an amateur achieve it? A power meter is the one gadget I am missing now but the cost of them means it'll stay missing for a good while yet.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That 10s protocol in particular is hard to judge. I'm still upping my power after 3-4 years of using the WB as I slightly refine things and work out how best to approach the "test". Having said that I can't hit 1,400w for 1s, never mind 10!!

If you want some idea of the sort of power people can generally put out, there's some data on the Wattbike Ranking site (although I would take some of that data with a pinch of salt as it's entirely up to the registered individuals what they put up - often when there's a power figure as well as a time it's easily verifiable as to whether it's an accurate posting or not though)

• Advertisement

Most people talk about 20 minute tests? Which I guess makes sense, as it's longer? I don't know, it looks like I have loads of research to do before I touch anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most people talk about 20 minute tests? Which I guess makes sense, as it's longer? I don't know, it looks like I have loads of research to do before I touch anything.

Depends what you want to assess as to what tests you should look at.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends what you want to assess as to what tests you should look at.

I can't even answer that one tbh.

The 10s and 3 minute tests are track-specific. 20 minutes is trying to estimate your threshold power which is more aimed at road competitors

I can't even answer that one tbh.

I have a good book on different Sports Analysis test that I used as reading material in college, I will drop it off to you one of the days.

The 10s and 3 minute tests are track-specific. 20 minutes is trying to estimate your threshold power which is more aimed at road competitors

Ok, so we're looking at flying 200 and pursuit then?
    I have a good book on different Sports Analysis test that I used as reading material in college, I will drop it off to you one of the days.

God, I'd welcome it, but I'm not sure I'd understand it tbh, I'm still trying to get my head around Friel's book.

Ok, so we're looking at flying 200 and pursuit then?
    Pretty much so, but that 1,400w power test I mentioned above was for the endurance team, not the sprint team. You need that to get to ride the likes of the pursuit, scratch, omnium and points races. Don't know what they look for in sprinters, but I'm guessing it's whatever Eoin can put out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alek wrote: »
    That's gas!

bah-dum-tish!

Putting my time off the bike to somewhat good use, shot this yesterday! :)

QSCo1Gz.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Zyzz wrote: »
    Fixed^

LRbci0Z.jpg

Any free slots on the wall for 2015 Beasty?

RoadCC's top 10 super bikes for 2014-2015:
    http://road.cc/content/feature/139662-roadcc-superbikes-shootout-2014-15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bbolger wrote: »

It's a zimmer frame for him next!

The one I'm after hasn't been invented yet. Hopefully it will be released later this year, and should complete the set....;)

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It's a zimmer frame for him next!

Carbon no doubt.

Carbon no doubt.
    Probably titanium - the power meter will be easier to attach, and there's less risk of the whole thing falling apart when I put my foot down....

UEuV58f.jpg

• Advertisement

UEuV58f.jpg

Those new Mavic wheels look pretty lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pfft, couldn't you put some aero-bars onto it? Amateur...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Anybody missing the racing season? This is well worth watching for a second or third time

Pfft, couldn't you put some aero-bars onto it? Amateur...

:pac:

I didn't think Beasty would have the back flexibility..

3rKJMgM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Off bike due to my rubbish chest. Stuck in Awful traffic that seems to strike Dublin at the merest hint of a drop of rain, another bus broke down so we had stop for them and some git found my leapcard and promptly emptied it for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Flat tire this morning :(

Second in over 3000km...first was due to a monster screw lodged in my GP4000s, and this was seemingly random, found where the air was coming out and there was nothing in the tire that I could see, even when examining closely. Hopefully I'll make it home.

Might replace that tire altogether; I would have thought it would have a bit more life in it, but it is commuting through Dublin City for about 110km a week, so not unreasonable.

Oh well! At least it happened close to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Flat tire this morning :(

Second in over 3000km...first was due to a monster strew lodged in my GP4000s, and this was seemingly random, found where the air was coming out and there was nothing in the tire that I could see, even when examining closely. Hopefully I'll make it home.

Might replace that tire altogether; I would have thought it would have a bit more life in it, but it is commuting through Dublin City for about 110km a week, so not unreasonable.

Oh well! At least it happened close to work!

A strew? Is that a cross between a shrew and a straw? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he meant to say stew; filling your tyres with gravy, beef and soft carrots supposedly reduces punctures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And you get this super flywheel effect as well as having emergency rations in case you bonk...

How handsome is Marcel Kittel..its actually quite unfair :(

(Gadetra back me up here quick)

In other news..

Cannondale-Garmin's bike looks like someones winter commuter :pac:

Synapse-659x440.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

In other news..

It very rarely I see a bike with no redeeming features whatsoever but this is one........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

he meant to say stew; filling your tyres with gravy, beef and soft carrots supposedly reduces punctures.

Haha!

I went back to the bike just now, with it's new tube already at pressure and found the culprit...tiny piece of glass...fingers crossed now I'll be sorted for the journey home!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

WP_20150108_001_zpsd2f3fc59.jpg

.....just spotted this afternoon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

How handsome is Marcel Kittel..its actually quite unfair :(

(Gadetra back me up here quick)

In other news..

<snip>]

I will indeed agree that Mr. Kittel is an attractive young chap. Not my type though, this picture notwithstanding:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91340441&postcount=905.

The Synapse is just not an exciting bike. The Super Six Evo has to be sexier.
    *toddles off to google new Garmindale Super Six*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just saw this on facebook ffs

5th to 7th june

Four Masters Cycling Club‎Ras Dhun na nGall 2015

Believe it or not we are after being informed that accommadation is already booking for this event. The hotel books up very fast so get your booking sorted. We will have the details of the accommadation officer published within a few days.

I think Marcus Kitten looks like a bond villains top henchman during the cold war.

Damn you auto correct, I won’t fix you as it's so cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I think Marcus Kitten looks like a bond villains top henchman during the cold war.

Or Drago from Rocky 74 and a third.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Whoever he looks like, he's a total ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

gadetra wrote: »
    I will indeed agree that Mr. Kittel is an attractive young chap. Not my type though, this picture notwithstanding:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91340441&postcount=905.

The Synapse is just not an exciting bike. The Super Six Evo has to be sexier.
    *toddles off to google new Garmindale Super Six*

Is that not a photo of Andre?
    Still worth posting!.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Is that not a photo of Andre?
    Still worth posting!.

Ha ha I think it is Marcus, going by the hair, deffo Mr. kitten!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

gadetra wrote: »
    Ha ha I think it is Marcus, going by the hair, deffo Mr. kitten!

"hair" autocorrect again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement