Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Zyzz wrote: »
    Nearly cleared out by a taxi when I had right of way going through town earlier, it caught me by such surprise that I mistakenly gave him a thumbs up while calling him a 'F*cking a*sehole* instead of the usual middle finger..

Mixed signals.

You could pretend you're Iranian. In Iran, and some other countries around the world, a raised thumb means "sit on this (and swivel)". :)

Or try this one next time:

robert-redford-the-candidate-1972-241.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

On my way into town this evening, and heading in by the filling station at Donnybrook and there's a Porsch with it's nose out across the bus lane. I put my arm out in a 'come on man?' kind of way as I went out into traffic to avoid him (he kept coming as I was heading straight for him !) and I got two fingers from Porsch man.

Heading back homenad a Taxi pulled out from the Burlington, not looking where he was going and kept heading for me. He had a fare in the car and was putting on his seatbelt and looked really annoyed when I caught his eye. He did not stop driving into me.

Today I was a magnet for dickheads. (There were many other words I wanted to put in there but they ALL sounded wrong :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Your Porsche dickhead was the same as the taxi dickhead I encountered on my commute home this evening, all the way across the white line for both his junction and the cycle line on my route. Dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Had a Garda pull me over for not using the cycle lane in Templeogue.

mal1 wrote: »

:mad: What did you do? How did it turn out? God that's annoying.

gadetra wrote: »
    :mad: What did you do? How did it turn out? God that's annoying.

Took about 10mins of conversation, I was late for my dental appointment because of it. I tried not to act like a pr*ck. She thanked me at the end and said she would check out the law when she finished. She was a little obnoxious at the start but it was fine. Although, if the Gardai don't know then what are the chances that the average George Hook fan will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Last year, Griffith Ave/Swords Rd junction. Standing at lights. Cacophony of beeping and muted screaming behind me. Turn around. Taxi behind me. Driver obviously annoyed I'm not using the cycle lane provided for me. Keeps pointing at it and roaring. Window comes down and I politely explain I'm not legally obliged to use it. He doesn't care, keeps screaming. I keep repeating the same fact and sense my voice and expression growing smugger and smugger as I realise he has no come back at all. So I really obviously start mouthing his car registration. I knew I'd never remember it but actually wanted to see how far I could go with it. "Did you get it, ya ba st ard? Did you?" He starts roaring. His passengers face has changed from it's original bemused to a little bit scared now. I kinda lose it at this point and throw my head back laughing and give him a thumbs up "I did, yeah, thanks!" Then the lights turn green and I start praying he doesn't decide to sideswipe me. I haven't been that cocky since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Had the same on the N11 last year. Put a big thread up here about it. To be fair the guard was looking out for me (or at least he thought he was) but didnt know the law. He wasnt been a dick but still took 30mins to get going again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Currently -8 over here in the lake district. Decent amount of frozen snow. Any idea's as to what a 3.5 hour ride on the road would equate to on the turbo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Took about 10mins of conversation, I was late for my dental appointment because of it. I tried not to act like a pr*ck. She thanked me at the end and said she would check out the law when she finished. She was a little obnoxious at the start but it was fine. Although, if the Gardai don't know then what are the chances that the average George Hook fan will.

FFS!

"Hey you, you're under arrest!"

"What for?"

"Eh, to be honest, I'm not sure really."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Last year, Griffith Ave/Swords Rd junction. Standing at lights. Cacophony of beeping and muted screaming behind me. Turn around. Taxi behind me. Driver obviously annoyed I'm not using the cycle lane provided for me. Keeps pointing at it and roaring. Window comes down and I politely explain I'm not legally obliged to use it. He doesn't care, keeps screaming. I keep repeating the same fact and sense my voice and expression growing smugger and smugger as I realise he has no come back at all. So I really obviously start mouthing his car registration. I knew I'd never remember it but actually wanted to see how far I could go with it. "Did you get it, ya ba st ard? Did you?" He starts roaring. His passengers face has changed from it's original bemused to a little bit scared now. I kinda lose it at this point and throw my head back laughing and give him a thumbs up "I did, yeah, thanks!" Then the lights turn green and I start praying he doesn't decide to sideswipe me. I haven't been that cocky since.

Harry, I commute that way, think I may have witnessed that. Were you shouting out the reg and a taxi was behind you shouting back? I couldn't figure out what was happening, and of course was going much faster than you :)

Puggy wrote: »
    Harry, I commute that way, think I may have witnessed that. Were you shouting out the reg and a taxi was behind you shouting back? I couldn't figure out what was happening, and of course was going much faster than you :)

No. Not shouting it. I never raised my voice. I just mouthed it like someone trying to memorise something.

godtabh wrote: »
    Had the same on the N11 last year. Put a big thread up here about it. To be fair the guard was looking out for me (or at least he thought he was) but didnt know the law. He wasnt been a dick but still took 30mins to get going again

My experience was very much the same. She was looking out for me and she did explain that. I reasoned with her in regards why I wasn't using the cycle path. Firstly, it's in bits and I had just come off a roundabout that required that I go through a crater to use it and secondly, it's just a really dangerously designed cycle path.

She did suggest that because I was aware of the law, didn't mean that others were, and as such, maybe I should use the cycle path. I looked at her confused. I think she regretted mentioning it.

We went our separate ways on friendly terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

lvvRP.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

On my way into town this evening, and heading in by the filling station at Donnybrook and there's a Porsch with it's nose out across the bus lane. I put my arm out in a 'come on man?' kind of way as I went out into traffic to avoid him (he kept coming as I was heading straight for him !) and I got two fingers from Porsch man.

Heading back homenad a Taxi pulled out from the Burlington, not looking where he was going and kept heading for me. He had a fare in the car and was putting on his seatbelt and looked really annoyed when I caught his eye. He did not stop driving into me.

Today I was a magnet for dickheads. (There were many other words I wanted to put in there but they ALL sounded wrong :pac: )
    I often get this at the Esso on Sandford Road. I hope to pull out, and then stop right in front of their bonnet, and wait for a few minutes holding them up, while I check my phone, and my hair, and my nails etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

XFN5A discount code for CRC if anyone wants it. 7 euro off if you spend 70 euro in the next week.

Lumen goes on tour...

335617.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

^^^^

squinting-at-screen.jpg

Training going great... Sign up to race abroad at beginning of February... Go out on training spin... Dig in on climbs, climb like never before... Feel great... 2 hours later, sore throat... One week later I still have some sort of flu and can't train at all. Feel like I'm freezing from the inside in. Kick in the teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Whereabouts was this? The cyclelanes all the way down from Sparwell are cr@p but the bit coming into the village along the narrow pavement is a complete joke. Also the classic 'route them past the bus stop and pub going the other way deserves an honourable mention too.

^^^^

squinting-at-screen.jpg

"Lumen in Limerick"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Training going great... Sign up to race abroad at beginning of February... Go out on training spin... Dig in on climbs, climb like never before... Feel great... 2 hours later, sore throat... One week later I still have some sort of flu and can't train at all. Feel like I'm freezing from the inside in. Kick in the teeth.

bad luck that. Maybe you need to drink whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Pro Cycling Prediction League

Just putting a link to this here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057362374

Darkglasses has suggested running a boards prediction league for this seasons pro cycling races. Some details are still to be finalised with points allocation and we may leave out some minor races but we'll get the ball rolling with the Tour Down under. Have set up a google docs sheet to run the league still have a bit of work to do on it but it will do for now.

The more we can get onboard now the better. People can still join later but you'll be at a disadvantage.

We'll cover most of these
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/races.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weather forum calling a daycent aul drop of shneachta this afternoon and tonight for anyone in Wicklow and Norther, and hanging around until Wednesday afternoon.

Probably get the MTB out tonight so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Adam Hansen, with a 19cm + Saddle to Bar drop...

God bless his flexibilty.

https://twitter.com/HansenAdam/status/557164361454592000

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That looks further than 19cm, what size bike is he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    That looks further than 19cm, what size bike is he on?

like all pros who are tall probably a small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Looks like 54 on the top tube.

Looks like 54 on the top tube.

Don't know how I missed that ;)

Whereabouts was this? The cyclelanes all the way down from Sparwell are cr@p but the bit coming into the village along the narrow pavement is a complete joke. Also the classic 'route them past the bus stop and pub going the other way deserves an honourable mention too.

It was just after the roundabout at St Marys Rugby grounds, heading towards the Dodder and Spawell. There is a crater coming off the roundabout when joining the cyclepath. She stopped me just after this when I didn't join the cyclepath. In general, it's really dangerous the way the path stops at every single junction to give way for car traffic that might be turning. Totally impractical. Safer to be on the road where drivers can see you and you won't come darting out from some cyclepath hidden behind the suburban trees.

• Advertisement

I'm officially old today. Today also coincides with the decision not to cycle into town. Is this how it is in your third decade? Will I need brave pants to go out on the bike from now on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm officially old today. Today also coincides with the decision not to cycle into town. Is this how it is in your third decade? Will I need brave pants to go out on the bike from now on?
    20 is not old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

4th decade, I suspect? But age'll do that to a lady.

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    4th decade, I suspect? But age'll do that to a lady.
    Uh oh, you used the "4". Now you're in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Lumen wrote: »
    Uh oh, you used the "4". Now you're in trouble.

If madam has any concerns, I can thoroughly recommend the services of Mr Basil Hallward, portraitist.

I'm 30. I'm also late so have to cycle in anyway. Fcuk you aging!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Could be a lot worse....
    Looks like 54.
    .... exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Put the gopro on my helmet for a short spin tonight, I nearly ran out of curse words for the amount of poor drivers and law breakers :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    Just out of interest, did they pull you over in a reasonably discreet manner?

The reason I ask is that I was pulled over by a Garda Sergeant in an unmarked red Mondeo with blue flashing beacons and sirens blaring. He pulled across sideways in front of me Starsky and Hutch style. As half of Lusk village was walking past, I asked him if it was necessary to leave the blue beacons on while he went on a power trip addressed me, and he said it was. A bit OTT I thought. You'd swear I had just robbed a bank rather than simply be cycling home from work.

(PS - pre law change).

• Advertisement

She was discreet in my case. She followed me in a red mondeo. I realised she was behind me as I reached my destination which was just around the corner. I stopped. No lights, she approached and she talked to me through the window.

Your guy sounds like a d*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

She was discreet in my case. She followed me in a red mondeo. I realised she was behind me as I reached my destination which was just around the corner. I stopped. No lights, she approached and she talked to me through the window.

Your guy sounds like a d*ck.

strange my two dealings while on bike , involve being pulled over for going early at the lights on the quays were cars are right up your arse and explaining how I couldn't stop with 4or5 he had pulled over and that I had to unclip first before stopping

other time was talking with gardai on his bike coming back from a ride, think more gardai riding bikes would do them some good, whats safe and what isnt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Down hill on a penny farthing, what can possibly go wrong.....

http://youtu.be/BuPJoA9gIro

And another.....penny farthing in Death Valley

http://youtu.be/iUbrh0Ac29M

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Down hill on a penny farthing, what can possibly go wrong.....

http://youtu.be/BuPJoA9gIro
    Is that a Mavic R-Sys on the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Put the gopro on my helmet for a short spin tonight, I nearly ran out of curse words for the amount of poor drivers and law breakers :/

Pics or... :D

Just out of interest, did they pull you over in a reasonably discreet manner?

The reason I ask is that I was pulled over by a Garda Sergeant in an unmarked red Mondeo with blue flashing beacons and sirens blaring. He pulled across sideways in front of me Starsky and Hutch style. As half of Lusk village was walking past, I asked him if it was necessary to leave the blue beacons on while he went on a power trip addressed me, and he said it was. A bit OTT I thought. You'd swear I had just robbed a bank rather than simply be cycling home from work.

(PS - pre law change).

Next time ask him to address the illegal parking around the post office and school with his flashing lights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Australians continue with there campaign to get everyone into cars for commuting and off bicycles with this crazy design...

acpqgn.jpg

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Australians continue with there campaign to get everyone into cars for commuting and off bicycles with this crazy design...

I wonder what the health support for neck injury and prolonged use damage is like, cause that's all I can see coming out of that ridiculous looking design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

More:
    A SYDNEY designer has patented a new licence plate helmet that could pave the way for cyclists to be registered.

The so-called smart helmet design incorporates a registration number that can be seen by existing CCTV and road cameras.

It also envisages indicators controlled by a Bluetooth system on the handlebars, as well as a photo sensor to turn on head and tail lights and a small warning speaker when the cyclist rides too close to pedestrians.

Mr King told the meeting the helmet would benefit cyclists and road users.

“This is a concept for better road safety. It is not a product or a business, it is a concept design,” he said.

“There are not many features on the current helmets that makes them safe.”

he concept has the backing of Mosman councillor Simon Menzies who said it would also provide a solution for commuter cyclists to be registered and able to showcase their registration number.

“People who use it as a mode of transport should be registered and insured,” Cr Menzies said.

“Every other road user pays for registration and it should not be any different.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I wonder, how much it weighs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement