Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Will it be hi-viz and reflective and lit up? Will gardaí investigate when it's stolen?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Will gardaí investigate when it's stolen?
    Maybe it needs some distinguishing marks to make it easier to track down its real "owner" - perhaps something like a serial number?

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Will you need a different plate for each bike or will their database have a visual description of the cyclist?

Cramcycle: Suspect looks like he is having a midlife crisis as he gets mistaken for a wannabe hipster, will claim he dressed like this before it was cool, do not believe suspect. Also has ginger facial hair and tired eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

“People who use it as a mode of transport should be registered and insured,” Cr Menzies said.

“Every other road user pays for registration and it should not be any different.”

I never understood this sort of reasoning. It basically amounts to 'if one bad thing happens to one person of group of people it's only fair that we make the same or worse bad thing happen to everybody.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Walking along the path outside Kilmainham Gaol just now and I got a load of grief for pointing out to a young lady that she really shouldn't be cycling a Dublin Bike on the path. Apparently she felt she had no other option as otherwise she would have had to dismount and lift it up over the kerb to get to the bike station. Those things must be really really heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe it needs some distinguishing marks to make it easier to track down its real "owner" - perhaps something like a serial number?

Step 2 on The 8 Steps to Genocide ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I frequently see cyclists with their lights on the wrong way around (including that idiot who frequents the Clontarf/Sutton track) but what I saw today really took the biscuit - a young lady on South Great Georges Street with her flashing red light fixed to the rear of her headset stem (i.e. pointing back at her).

One wonders what goes on in these people's heads. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

daragh_ wrote: »
    Walking along the path outside Kilmainham Gaol just now and I got a load of grief for pointing out to a young lady that she really shouldn't be cycling a Dublin Bike on the path. Apparently she felt she had no other option as otherwise she would have had to dismount and lift it up to over the kerb to get to the bike station. Those things must be really really heavy.

Well theres your issue Daragh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Down hill on a penny farthing, what can possibly go wrong.....

http://youtu.be/BuPJoA9gIro

And another.....penny farthing in Death Valley

http://youtu.be/iUbrh0Ac29M
    I had read before that users of the "ordinary" bicycle used to hook their legs over the top of the handlebars for descents, the reason for which is amply demonstrated in the first link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

a young lady on South Great Georges Street with her flashing red light fixed to the rear of her headset stem (i.e. pointing back at her).

One wonders what goes on in these people's heads. :confused:
    Some kind of blinky-light rave held in the abandoned space. The little people have their hands up "like the roof of the skull can't hold us".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a couple of times recently i've been blinded by cyclists with blinking nuclear fusion devices attached to their handlebars. i hope this is not going to become A Thing.

Beasty wrote: »

Yeah, I find the serial number stamped on the bike frame is a real help when gardaí track down stolen bikes and return them to their owners…

:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Kwiatkowski in a black World Champion's jersey?

10903580_963314050348297_1474008013_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

a couple of times recently i've been blinded by cyclists with blinking nuclear fusion devices attached to their handlebars. i hope this is not going to become A Thing.

You wouldn't believe the amounts of times I have heard "Oh, sorry, I didn't see you"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No amount of lights and hi vis could stop this

Cyclist gets hit by kangaroo

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Eamonnator wrote: »

Ye they hack me off too, it's very misleading. The government isn't planning to make it illegal, it already is.

Also the minister is basically saying I am going to do nothing, it's not enforced and just leave it alone. I think he's right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Weepsie wrote: »
    No amount of lights and hi vis could stop this

Cyclist gets hit by kangaroo

Australia really is such an anti-cycling country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    looks to me that the cyclist hit the kangaroo, not the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shout out to the cyclist on the M11 this morning, on a stretch that doesn't even have a hard shoulder. No lights or reflectors - was wearing hi vis and helmet though, so I guess it was alright....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Shout out to the cyclist on the M11 this morning, on a stretch that doesn't even have a hard shoulder. No lights or reflectors - was wearing hi vis and helmet though, so I guess it was alright....

Whereabouts? In fairness, its not difficult to end up on a motorway at some points. Once you're on its hard to get off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Whereabouts? In fairness, its not difficult to end up on a motorway at some points. Once you're on its hard to get off.
    He was going up and over the flyover near Loughlinstown when I met him. In fairness regarding lights, it wasn't pitch dark, but I'd have had lights on if I was on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Whereabouts?..... its not difficult to end up on a motorway at some points....
    I'd have to disagree. All entrances to motorways have a large blue sign indicating a motorway ahead and a list of prohibited vehicles. I can understand someone ending up accidentally taking a slip-road to a motorway but not continuing on ahead regardless instead of dismounting and turning back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Bike Lane Hero! Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Macy0161 wrote: »
    He was going up and over the flyover near Loughlinstown when I met him. In fairness regarding lights, it wasn't pitch dark, but I'd have had lights on if I was on the bike.

Was he in the way of traffic or was he off to the side?

53.229164,-6.130951

I'd have to disagree. All entrances to motorways have a large blue sign indicating a motorway ahead and a list of prohibited vehicles. I can understand someone ending up accidentally taking a slip-road to a motorway but not continuing on ahead regardless instead of dismounting and turning back.

That would depend in how far down you are before realizing the mistake. 2 or 3 kms is a long back track and the safest thing to do in that situation isn't clear. Personally, I'd out the foot down and hope there's an exit soon enough.

The N4 morphs into the M4 between Mullingar and Kinnegad without much signage. The N4 continues on a left turn that looks like a slip road - very easy to miss.

There's also a stretch of motorway outside Waterford city on the way in from New Ross that's easy to misjudge ( in the dark anyway ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

There's also a stretch of motorway outside Waterford city on the way in from New Ross that's easy to misjudge ( in the dark anyway ).

Err... there's no motorway on the N25. I guess you could make a mistake at the M9 roundabout but that seems like a very difficult thing to do.

jaguar to potentially offer a system which alerts the driver to cyclists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rw3Cia9WZ0

• Advertisement

bp_me wrote: »
    Err... there's no motorway on the N25. I guess you could make a mistake at the M9 roundabout but that seems like a very difficult thing to do.

The N25 bypass was built to a motorway spec with a toll both and has prohibited pedestrians and cyclists from the section between the Suir.

http://www.nra.ie/tolling-information/statutory-notices/N25-Waterford-Bypass-Toll-Bye-Laws.pdf
    The N25 Waterford Bypass was opened in October 2009. Inexplicably, it was not designated motorway, though it was built to the right spec. It is even a toll road, which makes it unusual as there are few precedents in Ireland for tolling a non-motorway road. An upgrade to motorway would protect the scheme from inappropriate development alongside and be a more appropriate treatment of the infrastructure. No physical changes would be required.

http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures/m25b_up.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

The N25 bypass was built to a motorway spec with a toll both and has prohibited pedestrians and cyclists from the section between the Suir.

The only section cyclists aren't allowed to use is the bridge itself.

The no cyclists signs have been removed from the rest of the route.

I will concede that it's very easy for unaware cyclists to end up at the toll bridge as there aren't signs to warn against this at either of the exits before the toll bridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Far better than the Volvo one, the only issue I would have against it is if it made drivers to sure of themselves so they don't check their mirrors as often. Nice idea though.

yeah, that's my usual worry about such aids; a lesser version of this:

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

(TL;DR - the increasing sophistication of pilot aids in ensuring flight safety means pilots are less able to react in a situation where those aids fail; it's a long but very good article).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

http://www.nra.ie/tolling-information/statutory-notices/N25-Waterford-Bypass-Toll-Bye-Laws.pdf

http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures/m25b_up.html

I've cycled over the Toll Bridge a few times .. sod it like ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

CramCycle wrote: »
    Far better than the Volvo one, the only issue I would have against it is if it made drivers to sure of themselves so they don't check their mirrors as often. Nice idea though.

Crazy cycling in scenario 1 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Crazy cycling in scenario 1 too

My thoughts too.

In reference to cycling on motorways... saw a fella last week heading down the hard shoulder at the red cow M50 junction, heading south. I'm assuming he was going to Ballymount or something...

No rear lights either.

He looked like he was from India or somewhere like that so maybe he meant to take the left into Ballymount just after the Red Cow but was lost. << That's me trying to have faith in humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeahie!

But the article doesn't say the contract has been awarded for the velodrome, just an arena for lots of other sports:

"There are still alternative plans for the construction of a second arena which will incorporate a cycling velodrome and new base for Badminton Ireland."

:confused:

Slow puncture in my front wheel, had to nurse it home..couldn't race any of the commuters..felt like such a peasant :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

If it's of any condolence, I lost a commuter race to a bloke whose bib tights were so worn they went transparent in the headlights of every. Single. Car.

:(

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    If it's of any condolence, I lost a commuter race to a bloke whose bib tights were so worn they went transparent in the headlights of every. Single. Car.

:(

So you didn't have the crack?

tumblr_static_dmh7qx83lrks4w4w040swks8s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

taxi-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/01/the-week-in-bike-53-cgfyn-news/

Cosmo Catalano's new show possibly, one of the few things I genuinely laugh out loud to on the internet.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    Yeahie!

But the article doesn't say the contract has been awarded for the velodrome, just an arena for lots of other sports:

"There are still alternative plans for the construction of a second arena which will incorporate a cycling velodrome and new base for Badminton Ireland."

:confused:
    No planning permission yet (although I can see no reason for it not to be granted), and they still have to get funding agreed - would have thought it's a matter of getting both in place before awarding a contract for coinstruction

Got some very sparkly aquamarine nail polish in Penney's. A welcome side effect is that drivers certainly see hand signals, even if they look a bit startled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Well maybe someone will invent one to alert cyclists to motorists, I was driving around a roundabout in Mullingar this morning and 6 cyclists drove straight out in front of me, Had to jam on the brakes and was nearly rear ended too. Try to remember if cycling the rules of the road apply to you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Redbishop wrote: »
    Well maybe someone will invent one to alert cyclists to motorists, I was driving around a roundabout in Mullingar this morning and 6 cyclists drove straight out in front of me, Had to jam on the brakes and was nearly rear ended too. Try to remember if cycling the rules of the road apply to you too.

From the charter
    There are lots of places on the internet where you can have a rant about cyclists. This isn't one of them. This is a place for people with an interest in cycling to discuss cycling. If you treat it as a venue for holding all cyclists to account for perceived or actual misbehaviour by some, you can expect to find your access swiftly removed. In short, we are not your punching bag. If you really do want do want an answer to your gripe, do a search. The usual topics, such as cycle lanes, cycling two abreast etc. have been discussed, ad nauseam, many, many times before

Read before posting again, do not respond in thread, pm if you have a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Got the new speed sensor for my edge 500. Can't get it to pair. Anybody have a similar problem? Any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

you did try to search for new sensor on the 500?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

CptMackey wrote: »
    Got the new speed sensor for my edge 500. Can't get it to pair. Anybody have a similar problem? Any ideas

Pal had a similar issue and turned out he needed a firmware update on the 500.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement