Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    "First, cyclists see me as a hero, non-cyclists as a fool."

I see her as an eejit for having the bag over the handlebars

So does she

"Obviously it was stupid to cycle with anything on the handlebars. Perhaps, for the first time in my life, I will learn from my own mistakes and start using a pannier."

Admitting mistakes shouldn't evoke derision but a bit more respect.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

True, i was perhaps a bit too harsh particular as I've had at least one stupid, entirely avoidable accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Weepsie wrote: »
    "First, cyclists see me as a hero, non-cyclists as a fool."

I see her as an eejit for having the bag over the handlebars
    She is possibly one of the best journalists in Europe - she calls out bs & pretentiousness for what it is - and she does not spare herself from that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Battery Question:

My Lezyne front light takes a Lithium-ion 18650 3.7v 2400 mAh battery. I have an additional spare battery for long night rides.

One of the batteries appears to be on the way out as it switches to the minimum setting after a few minutes and goes out after about 30 mins.

A few questions (apologies - my knowledge of electronics is very limited).

1. Do I need to replace with a Lezyne branded battery?
    2. Does it have to be 2400? (I've seen 2200 and 3200 for sale).
    3. Anyone know a 'bricks & mortar' shop which may sell them? (Maplins only do it online and I need it by the weekend. CRC don't seem to stock them anymore).

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Battery Question:

My Lezyne front light takes a Lithium-ion 18650 3.7v 2400 mAh battery. I have an additional spare battery for long night rides.

One of the batteries appears to be on the way out as it switches to the minimum setting after a few minutes and goes out after about 30 mins.

3. Anyone know a 'bricks & mortar' shop which may sell them? (Maplins only do it online and I need it by the weekend. CRC don't seem to stock them anymore).

Thanks.

Email mtbbatteries.co.uk what your requirements are he may be able to help. I've found him excellent to deal with.

Can't help on bricks and mortar

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Battery Question:

Thanks.

Don't think is has to be 2400mha. Higher mha would result in a longer time lit I think.
    That is my basic understanding of batteries.
    Seen one advertised on Adverts. Search for 18650. Second ad in list. I think this will suit.

PS not my advert or anyways involved with the advert.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Battery Question:

No, any battery that you can attach the fitting to that is 3.7V
    Nope 3200 should last longer
    Not that I know of, Peats if they were still that type of a store. Best bet would be to look around for mates with a similar light and ask can you borrow a spare battery, or contact any shop selling those lights and see can they get their hands on a spare in short turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

18650 comes in two varieties: protected (with a small circuit built-in, slightly longer) and unprotected. The former is a tad longer, I believe Lezyne takes unprotected as it has its own electronics to care about over(dis)charging. Check it with da internetz further.

Anything above 3000 mAh from Far East is most likely fake capacity (Ultrafire, Trustfire etc.) I'd aim for a good brand, Sanyo or Panasonic, around 2800mAh.

Have you tried Maplins?

Alek wrote: »
    18650 comes in two varieties: protected (with a small circuit built-in, slightly longer) and unprotected. The former is a tad longer, I believe Lezyne takes unprotected as it has its own electronics to care about over(dis)charging. Check it with da internetz further.

Anything above 3000 mAh from Far East is most likely fake capacity (Ultrafire, Trustfire etc.) I'd aim for a good brand, Sanyo or Panasonic, around 2800mAh.

Have you tried Maplins?

See point number 3

Afaik, vaporisers use the same battery. Some of the sellers of that particular product might have them or shops that sell head lamps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

10458230_10152725397492998_5039821548090011638_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Interesting one from the US, Ambulances there are starting to put "bike racks" on the vehicles, so at least your bike won't get left behind...

v7b8t0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Interesting one from the US, Ambulances there are starting to put "bike racks" on the vehicles, so at least your bike won't get left behind...

v7b8t0.jpg

I wonder do they have enough empty beds for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elric

I think you're incorrect about Lezyne using unprotected batteries. My Lezyne Super Drive XL came with a protected 18650 and the manuals for the 2012 and 2013 versions of their lights states that you should use protected 18650 replacement batteries.

I think you're incorrect about Lezyne using unprotected batteries.

I stand corrected :) I had Lezyne Power Drive only for a brief time and my memory fails more and more often...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You were riding your bike in Terenure.
    I was driving my car.
    I almost missed you because you had no rear light.
    You seemed to be trying to compensate for this by having a front light so powerful I had to hold my hand up to the rear view mirror to avoid getting dazzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was driving my car.
    You seemed to be trying to compensate for this by having a front light so powerful I had to hold my hand up to the rear view mirror to avoid getting dazzled.

So you got him?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I was driving my car.

This reads like a Robert Frost poem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

colm18 wrote: »
    This reads like a Robert Frost poem

A bicycle and car diverged in yellow morning sun of Terenure

• Advertisement

Was he wearing hi-viz?

:D

Was he wearing hi-viz?

:D

The sun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I was driving my car.

How about a haiku.....

Cloaked in winter dark
    The blinding light in front
    Dazzling stupidty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

or a limerick

There was a young lad on a bike
    The car driver said 'oi, take a hike,
    With dazzling light, you gave me a fright
    you half witted ignorant tike'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Or a 'missed connections' piece. At the wedding he can say Jep lit up his life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Surely the rules of the road go out the window once your wearing hi vis. What about all the cars that go around with no lights on in dark paint jobs, do they need some hi vis too?

On other side is this cold snap to last till the weekend or will it be gone before then?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

manafana wrote: »
    On other side is this cold snap to last till the weekend or will it be gone before then?
    What cold snap? - felt positively balmy today (maybe I was just well wrapped up). Forecast for the rest of the week is looking ominous though with lots of doom and gloom (except for schoolkids!) forecast from tomorrow in the UK press

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone see the Dispatches show on Channel 4 last night?

It was about cars, diesel cars in particular, and Nitrious Oxide emissions (which are bad for you).

They did a once off experiment where they fitted NO meters in a backpack and gave them to people who were commuting to work by bus, car, pedestrian, and cycling.

The cyclist ended up with the least amount of NO and the car the highest (the back pack was left on the passenger seat of the car).

So cycling really is healthier for you :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

NOx, rather than nitrous oxide, I assume?

Beasty wrote: »
    What cold snap? - felt positively balmy today (maybe I was just well wrapped up). Forecast for the rest of the week is looking ominous though with lots of doom and gloom (except for schoolkids!) forecast from tomorrow in the UK press

Yeah sorry I meant coming from tomorrow on.

Watched the c4 show a little over dramatised as always to create that OMG factor but point made about something most people thought that diesel has many negative external ties outsode of co2 emissions. Isn't reason cyclist faired best due to fact he doesn't stay long in the one spot, assume its best not to sit on the tail of a bus either, isn't it one of reasons electric or hybrid cars are exempt from the congestion charge in London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In the car, so inevitably stuck in traffic. Ridiculous number of motorbikes undertaking (at speed) on the left up the cycle lane. Already seen 2 near misses where they've nearly taken out cyclists. Is this the latest f*ckin thing I need eyes in the back of my head for on when commuting on the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Macy0161 wrote: »
    In the car, so inevitably stuck in traffic. Ridiculous number of motorbikes undertaking (at speed) on the left up the cycle lane. Already seen 2 near misses where they've nearly taken out cyclists. Is this the latest f*ckin thing I need eyes in the back of my head for on when commuting on the bike?

Watch out for other drivers posting on internet forums ;-)

You may be a passenger of course...

ford2600 wrote: »
    Watch out for other drivers posting on internet forums ;-)

You may be a passenger of course...
    Well I was actually in a petrol station stopped when I posted, but it didn't sound as dramatic!

Well I was actually in a petrol station stopped when I posted, but it didn't sound as dramatic!

Did you pull in specifically to post?!?!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Did you pull in specifically to post?!?!

No, to get petrol!

as a motorcyclist who use cycle lanes, I can say that kind of behaviour really annoys the hell out of me. If a bicycle is in the cycle lane, then the motorcyclist should wait until it is safe to pass rather than barge through.

If it's any consolation, I have often had motorbikes pass me on the motorbike in an unsafe manner. Clowns.

Actually, come to think of it, most of the issues and bad behaviour that annoy me as a cyclist annoy me as a motorcyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

lennymc wrote: »
    as a motorcyclist who use cycle lanes, I can say that kind of behaviour really annoys the hell out of me. If a bicycle is in the cycle lane, then the motorcyclist should wait until it is safe to pass rather than barge through.

If it's any consolation, I have often had motorbikes pass me on the motorbike in an unsafe manner. Clowns.

Actually, come to think of it, most of the issues and bad behaviour that annoy me as a cyclist annoy me as a motorcyclist.
    As both a motorcyclist and cyclist I agree with everything you've said in your post.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    As both a motorcyclist and cyclist I agree with everything you've said in your post.

However tempting a mototcyclist shouldn't be in a dedicated cycle lane really. I know the canal (southside) is a prime example of times motorcycles used bike lanes too often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

However tempting a mototcyclist shouldn't be in a dedicated cycle lane really. I know the canal (southside) is a prime example of times motorcycles used bike lanes too often

Correct, however, if there's no cyclist in the dedicated lane and its the only road space available, on a motorbike I'd make slow progress in this lane by filtering up the inside of stationary traffic.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Correct, however, if there's no cyclist in the dedicated lane and its the only road space available, on a motorbike I'd make slow progress in this lane by filtering up the inside of stationary traffic.

You could always overtake, I often find myself overtaking rather than use the cycle lane.

• Advertisement

a dedicated cycle lane is a dedicated cycle lane, and Imho only authorised users should be there, but where there is a shared cycle lane, I have no problem using it.

I do actually prefer to overtake, but sometimes it's just not practical. If I wanted to sit in traffic, I would take the car (and sit there giving out about cyclists and motorcyclists.... :) )

Edit - actually screw it. I'm off to set new strava records on the cycle paths at the canal!! Yeeeehaaaaa!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yip. One morning some fool on a chopper style one came up being a bunch of us stopped at one of the bridges, skidded and almost wiped a lad out while trying to avoid the main queue in the cycle lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I overtook a guy on a scooter yesterday, it was a slow and very very strange process.

I overtook a guy on a scooter yesterday, it was a slow and very very strange process.

Its an odd one when, if its particularly slow/heavily ladened, you hear the buzz of a thousand hairdryers trying to catch you and failing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to pass a colleague on his scooter going downhill from clonskeagh; i think he said his scooter topped out at about 30mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I passed a Ferrari once..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ouch.

Zyzz wrote: »
    I passed a Ferrari once..

I had a Jag pull over and say he couldn't keep up with me, no traffic jam for an excuse either :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I was stopped by a garda car for "speeding" on the bike once (and yes I am serious).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had a Jag pull over and say he couldn't keep up with me, no traffic jam for an excuse either :cool:.

I'd probably report that to the Zoo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement