Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

The perils of KOM hunting in Dublin 4! Admit it, you were probably doing 75, not 45. How was the poor Garda to know! :D

There's no Ms to be K O in D4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    There's no Ms to be K O in D4!

Yes because the rest of D is full of Ms :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Because of the recent UPC price increases, I decided to change my UPC subscription from the old Digital Extra TV bundle + 30mb broadband to Horizon TV + 140mb broadband. I'm now paying €5 less per month for faster broadband and a superior HD TV package...... What I didn't realise is that I wouldn't be able to watch the Eurosport 1 & 2 channels anymore.... :(

*facepalm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Because of the recent UPC price increases, I decided to change my UPC subscription from the old Digital Extra TV bundle + 30mb broadband to Horizon TV + 140mb broadband. I'm now paying €5 less per month for faster broadband and a superior HD TV package...... What I didn't realise is that I wouldn't be able to watch the Eurosport 1 & 2 channels anymore.... :(

*facepalm*

Eurosport player €7 a month or €50 annual subscription. If you have a newer smart tv you may be able to get the app for it or else run it from a pc.

http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/learn-more.shtml
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057373351

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Ryath wrote: »
    Eurosport player €7 a month or €50 annual subscription. If you have a newer smart tv you may be able to get the app for it or else run it from a pc.

http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/learn-more.shtml
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057373351

is it using Chromecast yet?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just same a cyclist get a face full of shopping bag as a pedestrian stepped out onto the road too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Cycled past Emmet Bridge last night - icy, icy cold - and outside a house near the pubs there was a gigantic dog; no kennel, no water, just sitting in the concrete yard. Poor thing must have nearly frozen in the awful weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Cycled past Emmet Bridge last night - icy, icy cold - and outside a house near the pubs there was a gigantic dog; no kennel, no water, just sitting in the concrete yard. Poor thing must have nearly frozen in the awful weather.

Not necessarily. Some dogs have thick coats and dislike being inside, even when raining. Huskies comfortably sleep on the snow curled up in a blizzard. Other large 'mountain' breeds eg St Bernard, Pyrenean are simarly hardy and have zero issues outdoors these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Transport for London (TfL) has given final approval to an ambitious network of protected cycle routes across the capital, a move proponents hope could revolutionise transport in the capital and provide an example to the rest of the UK.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/04/london-cycle-route-network-tfl-boris-johnson

Very interesting development, and not a foregone conclusion. Taxi driver opposition all the way, it seems, among others. Boris Johnson getting a lion's share of the credit. I think Frank McDonald emphasised the importance of an elected mayor in getting things done in his valedictory Irish Times article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

My biggest dog (Alaskan Malamute) loves crap weather, heavy rain or snow and she's like a kid in a candy store! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

337753.jpg

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Some dogs have thick coats and dislike being inside, even when raining. Huskies comfortably sleep on the snow curled up in a blizzard. Other large 'mountain' breeds eg St Bernard, Pyrenean are simarly hardy and have zero issues outdoors these days.

I'd be relieved to think that. But this is in a tiny front yard with a concrete surface and no shelter. And all aloney-o - dogs are packmates normally. Worrying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

^^^ ha ha deadly.

Headlines like that for a perfectly reasonable premise make me lose faith in humanity. I only wish I possessed enough wit to respond so well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...dogs are packmates normally. Worrying.
    Yes, normally worrying me when I'm going about my legitimate business. Many's a cycle along quiet back roads has been spoiled by them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

tomasrojo wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/04/london-cycle-route-network-tfl-boris-johnson

Very interesting development, and not a foregone conclusion. Taxi driver opposition all the way, it seems, among others. Boris Johnson getting a lion's share of the credit. I think Frank McDonald emphasised the importance of an elected mayor in getting things done in his valedictory Irish Times article.

Dream of day that cyclist and pedestrians take back space from cars in urban areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Buzwaldo wrote: »

Yep and most of the Irish breeds are particularly hardy, glen of imal,Kerry blue,Irish terrier and Irish water spaniel in particular are very hardy. Water spaniel is a popular working dog in Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I read that article (particularly the last section), agreeing and nodding emphatically with every point. I pass Aldborough House on my regular route home from work on the bike.

Walking home along O'Connell St this evening, there was a Garda standing on the corner of Abbey Street (where the road is closed), seemingly resolutely staring at the wall, ignoring the various people breaking the red light behind him, blocking pedestrian crossings, cycling on the footpath, aggressively begging...

I don't know where I'd start with improving the city tbh though. It's more about making the above shameful in society, rather than rigidly enforcing the law. (edit: the begging is another story altogether obviously.)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    (edit: the begging is another story altogether obviously.)
    Did the Garda ignore you again? You going to write a book on your experiences here? Are there certain streets that are more productive than others?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The London mayor, Boris Johnson, who heads the board and has personally pushed for the new routes to be built, dismissed the objections, saying trial runs for the lanes or further consultation was pointless.
    Finally a bit of common sense in politics

and from the secretary of the LTDA (threatened by the LTDA members I presume)
    “You can’t believe the amount of emails and tweets I’ve been getting,” Steve McNamara, general secretary of the LTDA, said before the meeting. “Some of it is quite outrageous. I’ve been threatened with violence. But I’m 6ft 2in, I weigh 15 stone, and I grew up in Hackney. They don’t scare me.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A few weeks ago: started with blocked nose, then sinuses, throat and chest. More than week off the bike.

This week: started with chest, then throat, now nose and sinuses. A week off the bike. :mad:

I hope whatever came in, is leaving me for good now :pac:

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Due to the "no chat" rule, I can't comment in the "fleets" thread, but can do so here
    furiousox wrote: »
    My new steed (aka the LAST bike I will ever buy biggrin.png)
    You going to start nicking them then furiousox?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

ssshhh, that was just for the benefit of mrs ox....:pac:

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    ssshhh, that was just for the benefit of mrs ox....:pac:
    Oh I see - you're going to get her to buy them for you from now on .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well now whenever some bright spark says "Well I pay Road tax therefore I have more rights to the road"

Inform them it's Motor tax and it's going off to pay for Irish Water! :eek:

Listen from about 28mins in...

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Alek wrote: »
    A few weeks ago: started with blocked nose, then sinuses, throat and chest. More than week off the bike.

This week: started with chest, then throat, now nose and sinuses. A week off the bike. :mad:

I hope whatever came in, is leaving me for good now :pac:

I hear ya.I was told another few weeks by doc today :(

chest infection then muscle problem around ribs possibly from all my coughing. I've gathered up an expensive wardrobe of winter clothes and might be warm before I'm on the bike again.

Ouch, get well soon, a few weeks extra does not sound good at all :eek:

I'm not getting mucho better yet but hopes are that next weekend I'll manage conquer that Kippure north bog ascent on my CX bike, while the ground is still frozen... fingers (cyclo)crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    Ouch, get well soon, a few weeks extra does not sound good at all :eek:

I'm not getting mucho better yet but hopes are that next weekend I'll manage conquer that Kippure north bog ascent on my CX bike, while the ground is still frozen... fingers (cyclo)crossed.
    I take it you're not doing the Angel of Mons this Saturday Alek?

Indeed not, sir. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not quite as good as "Literally Hitler", but it'll do.

Taxi chief says cyclists are like the “ISIS of London”

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/taxi-chief-says-cyclists-isis-london-156201

• Advertisement

Well that stung, wheels went from under me in Milltown. Luckily I turned my bag into the fall so only road rash on my leg and hip but boy does it sting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Any idea what caused it Cramcycle?

quozl wrote: »
    Any idea what caused it Cramcycle?

Mixture of things. Mainly my stupidity. That grease after a dry spell with a bit of dew/light rain on the ground. Going a bit faster coming to a turn than usual. Swerved wide around a pedestrian who was stepping out just 15 metres before the junction and didn't slow enough for the turn, turned my attention to the traffic on my right and the wheels went from under me.

A guy on the opposite road parked and came over to me as did a cyclist on the other side of the road. Other than my own stupidity which was to blame for the accident I was shocked at the 2 cars and van just beside me that clearly seen it happen and did not stop to see was I OK. I was on the ground for about 30seconds before the two decent people who stopped could cross the road to check on me as no other traffic stopped.

Who doesn't stop when they are the closest to an accident?

Completely my fault but fault has never stopped me pulling over to see was someone OK if I was right beside them.

Have to say, my chrome bag was a great investment, took the brunt out of the road rash. Also the bike is fine, which is nice.

God you poor thing :( Warm bath, sympathy and some brandy for you today. I hope the 'stinging' stops soon ((((sympathy)))) It's not a nice shock to have the bike disappear under you.

In other news back on track today. Rode the first lap the same 'route' as the one I crashed on, then fine. Training hurt though, I may need a nap today… :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Ouch. Get well some Cram.

Couple of near spills today on the club spin. Roundabouts were very slippy for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

daragh_ wrote: »
    slippy for some reason.

I put it down to the grit. A lot of slimy stuff all over the car due to it too when it gets anyway damp.

There's one of those lovely painted mini roundabouts near me and even bus and truck wheels slip on it.

It's been awhile since I had a spill, have to say I forgot how quickly your mind works mid spill. IIt's like being in a matrix movie with less style. I knew I was gone before I hit the ground, even had time to think that it was going to hurt before the nerve signals hit my brain. Managed to unclipped before contact as it was quite an odd slide/fall so that also helped. Bike ended up on the crossing road I was turning onto about 1.5m away from me. Which also means at least 3 other cars had to drive around it, when the lights changed and I was lying there.

I always wonder if anyone ever caught such an incident on camera would my facial expressions reflect the disturbing calm I felt.

Yeah it's weird how everything goes in slow motion and you kind of predict what's going to hurt, and how to make it hurt less. Time really does slow down.

I also noticed how sloppy the roads have been lately, there's a smear of salty gritty stuff, that must have had something to do with your spill? It has been a good bit slipper than normal, even in dry bits, there's a crust on it if that makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

gadetra wrote: »
    I also noticed how sloppy the roads have been lately, there's a smear of salty gritty stuff, that must have had something to do with your spill? It has been a good bit slipper than normal, even in dry bits, there's a crust on it if that makes sense?
    That's the leftovers from all the recent gritting. Needs a good few rainy days to wash it all away. Be prepared for filthy bikes at that point...

Mind yourself, CramCycle. Lots of calm and rest and yes, a nice hot bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Mind yourself, CramCycle. Lots of calm and rest and yes, a nice hot bath.

Beer. But not in the bath. That would be wrong.

Although...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Sipping a nice crisp chilled white in a warm bath is a form of decadence I'm particularly fond of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Well there goes my "Ill come off a lot worse if there is a crash" line.. :pac:

AXBCaFS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well that stung, wheels went from under me in Milltown. Luckily I turned my bag into the fall so only road rash on my leg and hip but boy does it sting.

exact same happened to me carrying bit too much speed on a downhill , left turn bit sharpe bang, first tip in over year of any sort.

• Advertisement

Well there goes my "Ill come off a lot worse if there is a crash" line..

Almost there. Nice bend in the downtube...

I wonder if the saddle is still with the cyclist, too. Some way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

gadetra wrote: »
    In other news back on track today. Rode the first lap the same 'route' as the one I crashed on, then fine. Training hurt though, I may need a nap today… :eek:

My track bike should be in on Monday.....

get better soon cram...

Don't know what is more alarming - the fact this is my 20,000th post or indeed that it's only very slightly more than an average of one post for every dayI've lived....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't know what is more alarming - the fact this is my 20,000th post or indeed that it's only very slightly more than an average of one post for every dayI've lived....

Only another 365 posts to go so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Odd question time: what are people wearing on their turbos? I've been using bib shorts and then a t-shirt and/or jumper.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement