Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Odd question time: what are people wearing on their turbos? I've been using bib shorts and then a t-shirt and/or jumper.

Normal cycling shorts and jersey. Wouldn't wear anything else, gets way too hot in the garage for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Only another 365 posts to go so.
    Are you saying I've only another year to live?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you saying I've only another year to live?:eek:

You're like, 82 or something, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Odd question time: what are people wearing on their turbos? I've been using bib shorts and then a t-shirt and/or jumper.

Just the shorts. Go topless to keep cool. Steady ladies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Just shorts and a sports bra, too sweaty to wear anything else. I pull over the curtains though ;) I wear headphones on the turbo but not on rollers, I'm much more conscious of the noise I make without headphones, nerve mind the turbo! I feel so sorry for the people living downstairs for all those purely turbo months :o At least now they get a bit of variety!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Yes, just shorts and if you have those hot summer day speciffic ones then use those. It's quite amazing how much heat and sweat a human can generate within an hour on a turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Thanks folks.
    gadetra wrote: »
    I wear headphones on the turbo but not on rollers, I'm much more conscious of the noise I make without headphones, nerve mind the turbo!

I've been just watching TV while on the turbo, just using it to work up a sweat and keep the legs active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just shorts and a sports bra, too sweaty to wear anything else. I pull over the curtains though ;) I wear headphones on the turbo but not on rollers, I'm much more conscious of the noise I make without headphones, nerve mind the turbo! I feel so sorry for the people living downstairs for all those purely turbo months :o At least now they get a bit of variety!

is yours magnetic or gel? I desperately want to start getting training in the mornings but apartment living...and married life.

Thanks folks.

I've been just watching TV while on the turbo, just using it to work up a sweat and keep the legs active.

I have never succeeded with the tv + turbo combo. I find it too hard to do intervals properly, I get too distracted by the action on screen!
    is yours magnetic or gel? I desperately want to start getting training in the mornings but apartment living...and married life.

It's not my turbo, it's on very generous load from a boardsie :) I don't know if it's a magnetic or gel one, it's a Tacx Sartori? Is that magnetic or gel? I don't think it's too loud though, and I also live in a flat. I have carpet thought I think that helps. Newer flats are all about the wood floors. Carpet mat maybe?

The turbo really showed up the flex in the track bike, (steel) you could see the BB area flexing on the turbo :eek:

Can't comment on married life, but unmarried life got me a new old bike last year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Yup just bib shorts and a sports bra for me

Wait what

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    Yup just bib shorts and a sports bra for me

Wait what

We could form a questionably 'sexy' double act. I say we take it to grafton street and busk for new bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Hey quick question. A club mate asked me this at the weekend and I honestly didn't know as it's not something I've had to look into. He want's to start racing but is concerned about a crash. If you crash in a club race and lets say your nice carbon frame is destroyed do you have any insurance for that that you can claim back off or is it just bad luck? His main worry is he writes off his new TCR in a crash and doesn't have the cash to replace it.

Hey quick question. A club mate asked me this at the weekend and I honestly didn't know as it's not something I've had to look into. He want's to start racing but is concerned about a crash. If you crash in a club race and lets say your nice carbon frame is destroyed do you have any insurance for that that you can claim back off or is it just bad luck? His main worry is he writes off his new TCR in a crash and doesn't have the cash to replace it.

If he really likes it he would find the cash to replace it. Tell him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

You can get cover for competitive events. Try http://cyclesure.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you crash in a club race and lets say your nice carbon frame is destroyed do you have any insurance for that that you can claim back off or is it just bad luck? His main worry is he writes off his new TCR in a crash and doesn't have the cash to replace it.
    The rule of thumb is "don't race what you can't replace".

That said, it's relatively unusual to write off a frame in a crash. More typical is snapping a derailleur hanger, bending shifters, pushing a wheel out of true, scuffing a saddle. These can be cheaply fixed or ignored.

Clothing damage is more likely. A new helmet, bib shorts, gloves and arm/leg warmers might run to hundreds of euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

While waiting to cross the train tracks at Sandymount DART station this morning, I saw a bit of a kerfuffle on the opposite side of the road between a motorist and a cyclist. I didn't see the befores, but the afters involved the motorist basically trying to run the cyclist off the road by purposely going as close tot eh kerb as possible. This wasn't accidental as he was going as slowly as the cyclist and keeping an eye on her in both his rearview and side mirrors. I beeped at him a few times as he crossed over the tracks, but he was so intent on what he was doing that he never looked my way.

I know there is an eternal struggle of sorts between motorists and cyclists, but I was genuinely shocked at what I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Me: (in pre-tantrum state voice): I. Want. To. Get. Back. On. My. Bike!
    Lungs: Nope. Back to your room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lumen wrote: »
    The rule of thumb is "don't race what you can't replace".

That said, it's relatively unusual to write off a frame in a crash. More typical is snapping a derailleur hanger, bending shifters, pushing a wheel out of true, scuffing a saddle. These can be cheaply fixed or ignored.

Clothing damage is more likely. A new helmet, bib shorts, gloves and arm/leg warmers might run to hundreds of euros.
    I'd be a lot more concerned about any damage to me than to bike or clothing. The cost of replacing a bike or clothing is chicken feed in comparison.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'd be a lot more concerned about any damage to me than to bike or clothing. The cost of replacing a bike or clothing is chicken feed in comparison.
    And just to add that insurers are there to make a profit. With high risk exposures like this you can expect to pay a high premium. Statistically (as with all insurances) you would expect to pay more out in premiums than you get back under the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most crashes result in only superficial injuries. Road rash is cheap to treat.

If the injuries are serious then the cost is the least of the issues.

Dunno about that, there's more humans than bikes in the world. In my book that makes the bike much harder to replace....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone posted a frame within Ireland of late? An Post best option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Anyone posted a frame within Ireland of late? An Post best option?

Probably GLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

If you see GLS van go talk to the driver. He'll sort you out and only for small money. Way cheaper then an post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Bad experiences with GLS. Sworn never to use again. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Cheers for the recommendation, I'd need a large bag so looking at the excursion rolltop from them.

They don't sell the excursion in Ireland now :( Might have to wait till I'm in the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pretty sweet competition prize - see Paris Roubaix from inside the Mavic neutral service car.

http://www.mavic.com/paris-roubaix-contest-2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Going down the village side of Howth earlier, doing 50 odd km/h, absolute clown decides to turn out without looking right.

With the speed I was doing I came up beside his window which was half way down and shouted in "PULL OUT ON YOUR WIFE, DONT PULL OUT ON ME!"..

Why can't I be this witty more often. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All things being the same, would you buy rather buy the same bike in Dublin from:

1. Harrys Bike.
    2. CycleBike
    3. Giant Store Dublin
    4. Your own suggestion for somewhere that sells Giants in Dublin...

Thinking about future service etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thargor wrote: »
    All things being the same, would you buy rather buy the same bike in Dublin from:

1. Harrys Bike.
    2. CycleBike
    3. Giant Store Dublin

(3) Giant Store Dublin, cause I know the lads in there, and they're a great bunch of lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

1. Harrys Bike.
    2. CycleBike
    3. Giant Store Dublin

Giants are nearly in all bike shops so just find one that is pretty local to home I think to drop stuff off if needs. Myself Giants and Treks arn't my thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thanks to the chap who pointed out that my phone was about to slip out of my jersey this morning - HX Bridge. I really need to have my coffee before I leave the house :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

1. Harrys Bike.
    2. CycleBike
    3. Giant Store Dublin

Where do you live? It's handy to be able to walk to the place you're getting it fixed in case you break it good :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Quick question about Garmins, or any other bike computer, which of them can I use as a normal sat nav if needs be? I don't have a sat nav for the car and don't usually need one but if I was trying to justify buying a new toy I'd have a better chance of convincing herself if she thinks she could use it too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can use Garmin 800 as a car satnav, but its not the best in this role I'd say. Will do the job as an emergency navigation, but for daily driving a dedicated car satnav will be mucho better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Oh I have no intention of ever using it as one or letting her near it. I just need a plausible lie ;) Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You could point out that the live-tracking feature of the 810 would allow her to keep track of you and make sure that you weren't really spending 5 hours with your mistress when you claim to be out on a long cycle.

Unless of course your mistress also cycles, in which case you're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

quozl wrote: »
    Unless of course your mistress also cycles, in which case you're screwed.

deliberate? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

quozl wrote: »
    ... and make sure that you weren't really spending 5 hours with your mistress when you claim to be out on a long cycle....
    Well, you'd be going out for a ride either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Have any of you Dub's noticed that DCC have been pretty generous salting the roads this year?.. I'm not complaining of course, but damn both my bicycle and my motorbike are covered in salt & grime despite regular wash downs.

Anyone else notice if there's been extra salting this year?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, there's big lumps of it lingering in places still.

Yep fcuk tonnes of it on the road where I've been anyway, which is initially great but all slippery now. Again worth the non-iciness. I am paranoid about my steelies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I am paranoid about my steelies though.

You ain't going to be like Beasty now are you, and use every single chance you get to tell us that you crashed, even when there is no possible link to the subject???!!!???

"Lovely day today."

"The weather was the same when I crashed. Did I tell you about that?"

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You ain't going to be like Beasty now are you, and use every single chance you get to tell us that you crashed, even when there is no possible link to the subject???!!!???

"Lovely day today."

Did Beasty have a crash?

Raam wrote: »
    Did Beasty have a crash?

Not sure. Let's ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Have any of you Dub's noticed that DCC have been pretty generous salting the roads this year?.. I'm not complaining of course, but damn both my bicycle and my motorbike are covered in salt & grime despite regular wash downs.

Anyone else notice if there's been extra salting this year?.

I hear ye Aiden Defeated Revolver, ye would wanna see the cut of my motorbike, and the MTB is no better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Not sure if it's generous usage by DCC or that we haven't had snow melt or a decent rain shower to wash it away.

Had 2 wheel spin incidents today when I went to take off with the back wheel in salt/grime/gunge deposits.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

"Lovely day today."

Ha ha! I meant Rosa and Henri, the steel machines ;)
    It's really Jessica weather, she's carbon.

And it was a damp day when I crashed :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Back in the news today again: http://jrnl.ie/1933756

Cue the "they don't pay road tax Joe" and "maybe they should stop at red lights Joe, cos I allllwwaaayys do in my Taxi/car/van/truck.."

• Advertisement

Ha ha! I meant Rosa and Henri, the steel machines ;)
    It's really Jessica weather, she's carbon.

And it was a damp day when I crashed :cool:

Jesus you are as bad as him. He has names for his bikes too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement